News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Rev Roger Sermon #22: The Machine

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 02, 2003, 01:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trollax

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger
Quote from: SlartibartfastDon't worry, the squid didn't get me.

Slartibartfast, Captain of the Red Herring, at your service.

*Blasts prairie squid* "Ahoy, matey's lets sink these landlubbers"!!!

You still have to deal with my mechanical horde.

*FIRES UP PSYCHIC SPANNER miniGUN*
Quote from: The Bastard Operator From Hell"Oh no!" I cry. "Keyboard rage!"

"What are you talking about?!" the boss shouts.

"Keyboard rage! It's like road rage, only worse! It's not his fault, it's a psychological condition he's been getting counselling for! He was diagnosed by the same doctor who diagnosed my attent...Wow! This gas operated chair's really got a smooth descent! Look at this!"

"I want that UPS test stopped!" the boss shouts.

"Please don't shout," I sniffle. "My dyslexia gets worse under pressure. Bugger, I've just set the fire alarm test off by accident!"

The PFY, meantime, is beating his keyboard senseless in a very convincing manner while our two visitors make for the door.

"Be careful!" I cry, "I can't remember whether I locked out the lift system or not, and if I did - Ooooh, is that an Armani suit?!" ?ñ

~Syslexdic Trollax~

SMFabal

also posted at http://www.principiadiscordia.com/phpBB/posting.php?mode=reply&t=384

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days. I think I can point out why I don't believe change comes quickly. And it comes down to where the machine gets its power.

The Machine's real power lies in its ability to control the educational methods used on its children. Dubbya really doesn't frighten me. The fact that 1/4 of our population voted for him (assuming 50% voter turnout; optimistic, I know) does. And it frightens me that there are people who still support him. And the problem lies in our educational system.

In school, we are taught to read and write. We are taught "Critical Thinking Skills". And we are taught how to "Read for Comprehension". We are taught this because for the past 400 years, the written word has been the primary means of transmitting and storing information. But, as The Commander has pointed out, we are undergoing an Information Revolution. People no longer read, but rely on TV, Radio, and Movies for day to day information and entertainment. But I have not seen any courses on how to cope with this type of information except on the college level. Method of understanding this type of media must be taught in high school, or even sooner. Change begins with education. That's step one.

Then comes step two: Parents need to know Learning comes BEFORE Grades. Intresting concept, isn't it? Far too many paqrents today will go to the mat to drag their kid's grades up by lowering the standards by which students are judged. That leads to dumber parents for the next generation, leading to such arguments as "Why should my kid have to learn something I never did?" and "My child needs to be with children his own age!".  I hope I don't have to explain how silly these arguments are. But parents are too concerned about, as my own parents put it, "Getting a piece of paper that'll get you more repect." Yes, my father, a lawyer and teacher, said that.

The really big thing, though, is that we (ie, Americans) are still struggling with Puritan laws, still fighting over (forgive me) minor issues like bigamy, adultry, and homosexuality. Alan Greenspan is nearly identical to Joseph McCarthy in method and ethic. And Americans are fully falling for it again. So after forty years, there has been no real change. Catch 22 - we can't make any real change while the Machine is in place, we can't destroy the machine until real changes take place.

Enough from me now, my loverlies. I have to tune in the Daily Show so I can get the real news for a change :lol:  :roll:  :wink:
SMFabal, High Pope of CoCK, PSP, CW, KSC, FP, GH, MORBJ

Q: How serious are you about this whole "Discordian" thing?
A: A blue fish Tuesday!
Q: No really, it this, like, deeply philosphical, or just a huge joke?
A: Yes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SMFabalalso posted at http://www.principiadiscordia.com/phpBB/posting.php?mode=reply&t=384

The Machine's real power lies in its ability to control the educational methods used on its children.

No, the Machine's real power lies in its ability to control the "education" of the ADULTS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

SMFabal

Patterns of learning are set in early childhood. If you don't learn how to learn as a child, tehn as an adult you can't learn! That's why I say its the educational methods used on children.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SMFabalPatterns of learning are set in early childhood. If you don't learn how to learn as a child, tehn as an adult you can't learn! That's why I say its the educational methods used on children.

These patterns can be overcome.

Please turn on your TV set to see how.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

SMFabal

Th epatterns can be overcome by some exceptioanl individuals, yes. But first you have to realise that the pattern is there, then you have to unlearn your childhood, then relearn how to learn. Meanwhile, you have to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly. You can see why I'm so big on getting children taught right the first time around.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: SMFabalTh epatterns can be overcome by some exceptioanl individuals, yes. But first you have to realise that the pattern is there, then you have to unlearn your childhood, then relearn how to learn. Meanwhile, you have to keep a roof over your head and food in your belly. You can see why I'm so big on getting children taught right the first time around.

People can, strangely enough, remain productive while being "educated" by their TV.