News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Fuck you, I did it!

Started by AFK, March 19, 2012, 12:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 08, 2012, 12:04:02 AM
QuoteTo prepare the hot dog foam Hock extracted the liquid from the sous-vided CP-brand hot dogs

WHY WOULD YOU COOK A HOTDOG AND THEN JUST USE THE JUICES TO MAKE A FOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, sous-vide hot dogs?  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on April 08, 2012, 12:13:53 AM
QuoteTo prepare the hot dog foam Hock extracted the liquid from the sous-vided CP-brand hot dogs

WHY WOULD YOU COOK A HOTDOG AND THEN JUST USE THE JUICES TO MAKE A FOAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, sous-vide hot dogs?  :lol:

Sure.  And after that, I think I'll have some french toast.  Gotta pull that cockroach out of the egg batter first, won't be a second...

East Coast Hustle

I want to go back to Maine and do a guest night at my old restaurant this summer so I can put this spin on an old regional classic and do a special of New England Style Sous Vide Dinner.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on April 08, 2012, 07:17:09 AM
I want to go back to Maine and do a guest night at my old restaurant this summer so I can put this spin on an old regional classic and do a special of New England Style Sous Vide Dinner.

:lulz::vom:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Somewhere, Ferran Acosta is weeping tears of blood.

East Coast Hustle

[pedant]

Given how names are constructed in Spanish, wouldn't "Ferran Adria" be more correct as a short-form?

[/pedant]

Anyway, that's what he gets for closing El Bulli before I could eat there. Now I have to go to Alinea and I really don't like Chicago.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Because they're retarded and don't know wtf they're doing. One thing about sous vide cooking is that it keeps the fucking juices to a minimum. Also I don't know what they expected to happen after heating it for 73 hours, except that the dog will then probably have the consistency of toothpaste? Which can be useful if you do it about 1/3rd as long for really tough meats but not with hot dogs. Especially if you intend to throw away the meat.

Additionally, one thing you do not get from sous-vide is the Maillard reaction. The browning flavour. It's very important, it's the difference between a boiled steak and a cooked steak. And with sous-vide you need to add that part separately. Usually with a butane torch.

Is that part of the reason why you hate sous vide so much ECH? Because people think it's a magic bullet even if they are clueless about the chemistry?

Anyway this is how you do it:

- First, you cook your dogs on the BBQ grill, the old fashioned way, so they get brown. maybe even crispy.

- Look at those dogs. Decide if you really want to do this.

- Yes? OK. Put the dogs in a big pan, add some water and a can of beer. We're going to need to freeze this later on so use real nice USA <4% ABV beer. The beer is because some flavours extract better in alcohol. No idea if those particular flavours are in hot dogs, but it can't hurt to make sure (unless you got a shitty freezer).

- Take your blender-onna-stick and blend the shit out of it. Unsure if it'd help to bring it to a boil at this point, but let's not.

- Pour it through a mesh sieve so you're left with, I'm guessing what must be a milky pink-brown liquid (no, of course I never tried this. what? trust me, it's SCIENCE!!). I suppose you could also use a juicer machine but I wouldn't want to drink fruit-smoothies from it afterwards.

- Now you need to dissolve some gelatin into it, check the packet instructions, you probably need hot water. We're not making pudding, use about 1/4th the recommended amount for the amount of liquid you got, maybe even less.

- Now it goes into the freezer so it can freeze into a solid block of I-don't-even-want-to-know-anymore. Use a flexible container.

- Next day. Put a cheese cloth in a colander, and put the frozen block on top of the cloth. The colander goes on top of a bowl or something to catch whatever drips through the cloth. Put the whole thing in the refrigerator. Better cover it with something to not scare your other food. If you can set your fridge to a colder (but not freezing) temperature, do this, the slower it thaws the better.

- The next day, you'll have a clarified hot dog consommé in the bowl.

(You'll also have something in the cheesecloth, best not to think about that and burn the cloth)

- Now you can either do whatever it was they did to make foam from your clear (and this time actually flavourful) liquid (I think they added lecithin? never used the stuff) ... OR you can break down in despair and order takeout.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Don Coyote

I am so disturbed. Your mind is truly a terrifying place Trip.

minuspace

This reminds me of a delightful recepie for steam infusing vegetable consume...  8)
(spelling, sorry, and arrowroot > gelatin... )

navkat

I'm constantly saddened by the knowledge that Zilch lives miles and miles away from this land where a hero of his caliber is so desperately needed.

Triple Zero

Quote from: LuciferX on April 22, 2012, 09:07:35 AM
arrowroot > gelatin

why?

does it form the same kind of filtering molecular matrix when slowly thawing on a cheese cloth?

how is it better? or just when you're a vegetarian? powdered hooves are awesome.

----

Quote from: navkat on April 25, 2012, 09:24:14 AMI'm constantly saddened by the knowledge that Zilch lives miles and miles away from this land where a hero of his caliber is so desperately needed.

I will visit as soon as America doesn't seem so fucking scary from far away!

Also I just got this technique off the Internets and I still need to try it (but not with hot dogs). Apparently, the gelatine+freezing technique allows you to make a clear extract of just about ANYTHING!!!! :D :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.