News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

an inane question, please feel free to ignore.

Started by leln, March 19, 2012, 01:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leln

I just spent 80% of my Sunday editing a wiki as a project for my "Information Technology for Library Professionals" course  :eek:. I've never done this newfangled wiki-shit before (yes, I'm a Luddite, I work in a library devoted to preserving physical copies of old books, fuck off). To make a long story short, my project was to construct a wiki tutorial for OpenOffice Base. It's taken more time than I'd like because I had to create multiple wiki pages and upload dozens of screenshots. In honor of the weekend, I've been sipping whiskey and listening to the Pandora Irish Pub Rock station since 5 o'clock.

The point: there's a shitload of wizards available to guide the user in this program. When I'm presenting my project to the class, should I mention the fact that I had to exert an enormous amount of willpower to keep from slipping in comments like "and if you're so inclined, you can put on your robe and wizard hat," or "opt for the funny clothes and twinkling bell" if you're unsure how to structure your query? Or should I keep that facet of my nerdiness closeted?

I'm loopy from mental exertion and alcohol. Any input is appreciated, I can only hope that this is entertaining rather than infuriating.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Juana

Keep it to yourself. There's nothing wrong with inserting humor, but that doesn't sound situationally appropriate to me.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Richter

Note should also be made that I am loopy form illness and alcohol.  While opening with a joke is excellent in workplace, panel discussion, or speech context, for a class presentation I'm not certain.  You know the attitude of the class better.

For what it's worth; I'd default in favor of a picture of a wizard kitty.  Even if no one catches the robe/wizard hat thing, lolcats have more universal appeal.

The source of said meme is here:  http://bash.org/?104383
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

leln

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on March 19, 2012, 01:39:34 AM
Keep it to yourself. There's nothing wrong with inserting humor, but that doesn't sound situationally appropriate to me.

Thanks. The professor is from Taiwan and I have at least one classmate who strikes me as the "too cool for school" type (which should be bullshit if you're paying for grad school, but that's a rant of its own). If the humor gets lost due to ignorance I might as well save myself the effort and focus on the presentational points with potential for getting a better grade.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Injecting humor really seems to depend on your instructor and how well you know them. I have included "5 free Thetans" into my papers, but only when I knew my instructor would find it funny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

navkat

I say inject the humor if that's what true to yourself. Don't get into the habit of compromising your writing style and second-guessing yourself early because it takes a loooong ass time to untangle yourself from that mindset once you start.

Be capable of writing a serious report, yes but if it's not inappropriate to speak from your own voice then do so wherever possible.

Doktor Howl

I say give them exactly what they asked for.  Save the humor for situations that don't involve possibly fucking your education because someone didn't get a joke.
Molon Lube

leln

Good points, I appreciate the guidance. If the nerdiness slips out during my presentation I won't beat myself up, but I'll keep it out of the formal project and the plans for my speech.

navkat

Bear in mind that I'm socially defunct so Rog and Nigel are probably right.

DECI4

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
My-my-my-my music hits me so hard makes me say oh my Lord
Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hyped feet
It feels good when you know you're down
A superdope homeboy from the Oaktown
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
You got it like that now you know you wanna dance
So move out of your seat
And get a fly girl and catch this beat
While it's rollin' hold on pump a little bit
And let me know it's going on like that like that
Cold on a mission so pull on back
Let 'em know that you're too much
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

Yo I told you u can't touch this
Why you standing there man u can't touch this
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

http://i.imgur.com/EiZZK.jpg

Faust

Second person, passive voice. People are there to quickly get the information they need, humour will just confuse them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

leln

Quote from: Faust on March 20, 2012, 08:35:41 AM
Second person, passive voice. People are there to quickly get the information they need, humour will just confuse them.

Very true. If I'm lucky I'll be in the second round of presentations, so by then people will be zoning out for any topic they're not inherently curious about. And while the idea of getting information entered in a centralized, interconnected and efficient fashion makes me happy, I can respect that not everyone finds the subject engaging.