News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Bionic Wings > Jetpack

Started by Bruno, March 21, 2012, 08:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Cain

Missed opportunity for playing "I believe I can fly" over the video, right there.

He looks pretty tired, too, as you would expect.  I still await my jetpack for this exact reason.

Faust

... I think I can build this.

Gonna have to contact this guy.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Elder Iptuous

wow! that's awesome!
:aaa:
a dream of mankind realized...

Doktor Howl

And then he flew too close to the sun.   :cry:
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

heh.... this guy should have a son to fly up there with him, no?

one thing about this being better than Yvess Rossy's jet-wing, is that it appears that if it breaks, its fail state is a still useful glider, rather than having to deploy a chute.

Elder Iptuous

Kai

Well, hey, if the authenticity is in question, all they need to do is repeat the flight. *shrug*

I do know that when I saw this video, I thought, "There's no way this is going to work". And then it did, and I squealed out loud. So, if this works this is major, fulfilling a thousand year old dream.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Chairman Risus

And a jetpack is still cooler. How are you supposed to fly through windows with giant wings?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chairman Risus on March 23, 2012, 06:24:06 PM
And a jetpack is still cooler. How are you supposed to fly through windows with giant wings?

Armor the leading edges.
Molon Lube

Mistre

And just like that, I went from super excited to thoroughly heart broken.

So, yeah, it's like meeting Santa Claus and realising it's your dad...

I need some time alone now.
Uber Supreme Poobah of Pope-Groping™

He who acknowledges his own inability to answer a question is wise, he who does not seek one is stupid.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One of the first things I thought upon reading that it was a hoax was that, yeah, but it is theoretically possible, and it captured many imaginations... which means that the odds that someone will make it happen for real are pretty high.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Nigel on March 29, 2012, 07:55:44 AM
One of the first things I thought upon reading that it was a hoax was that, yeah, but it is theoretically possible, and it captured many imaginations... which means that the odds that someone will make it happen for real are pretty high.

Its basically a problem of physics. A human simply doesn't have the muscle to generate the mechanical energy and momentum necessary to lift the mass of a human. Various forms of gliding are likely the only option we'll ever have... unless of course someone figures out that Bournelli was wrong.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Bruno

This was supposed to be power assisted flight, not human powered. He talked about motors and LiPo batteries.

And haptic controls and stuff.
Formerly something else...