News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

'Academic Publishing is Broken'

Started by Kai, March 22, 2012, 09:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 1SwellFOop on March 25, 2012, 03:51:22 PM
do the author(s) have to sign over the copyright before the peer reviewing takes place?

if not, one could just submit it for review, then if it gets accepted just not sign it over for publishing and post it on the web somewheres

What does that accomplish that just publishing it on the web doesn't?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hirley0

Quote from: Nigel on March 25, 2012, 06:37:55 PM
do the author(s) have to sign over the copyright before the peer reviewing takes place?

if not, one could just submit it for review, then if it gets accepted just not sign it over for publishing and post it on the web somewheres

"I'm guessing9:46b 4 min 8m 35s
09:37:55 AM / 09:37:08 AM 47s v 09:46:30 8m 35s no way will iwIN {eveR

Faust

It's far more likely to get noticed. For instance if I wrote a really specific and obscure paper on RFID and publish online, no one will ever come across it. Loads of people read peer reviewed submissions in their magazines.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on March 25, 2012, 11:14:08 PM

It's far more likely to get noticed. For instance if I wrote a really specific and obscure paper on RFID and publish online, no one will ever come across it. Loads of people read peer reviewed submissions in their magazines.

But his premise that you would submit your paper, get it accepted, then, instead of allowing the journal to publish it, withdraw your submission and self-publish it on the web.

How would that increase your exposure?

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Unless I am unaware of some crucial component of publishing in which journals routinely publicize withdrawn submissions?

Cain

If you want to have the best of both worlds, you can release earlier drafts of papers online without violating copyright, in most cases.  Several academics seem to do this quite frequently and without repurcussion, so that would be the best strategy for maximising exposure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 26, 2012, 07:20:12 AM
If you want to have the best of both worlds, you can release earlier drafts of papers online without violating copyright, in most cases.  Several academics seem to do this quite frequently and without repurcussion, so that would be the best strategy for maximising exposure.

This seems like a more viable strategy.

Faust

Quote from: Nigel on March 26, 2012, 05:20:01 AM
Unless I am unaware of some crucial component of publishing in which journals routinely publicize withdrawn submissions?

I didn't read that. And you couldn't withdraw it after submitting it, yuo wouldn't know until it's gone to print.

Forsooth

I didn't read that. And you couldn't withdraw it after submitting it, yuo wouldn't know until it's gone to print.
[/quote]

that's what i wanted to know, having never submitted anything

cuz if it could be reviewed without submitting, then said reviewer(s) and editors would know the paper was of decent quality without actual publishing
might take longer for the general information to get out, but it would be peer-reviewed and free for the general public

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on March 26, 2012, 08:20:57 AM

:? At least in medical fields, as far as I am aware, you can withdraw a paper at any time prior to publication by contacting the editorial office, although it's not usually considered ethical to withdraw it for reasons other than finding that the research contains serious flaws, and god help you if you withdraw it to submit it to a different journal because your ass will get blacklisted.

Faust

Quote from: Nigel on March 26, 2012, 10:56:53 PM

:? At least in medical fields, as far as I am aware, you can withdraw a paper at any time prior to publication by contacting the editorial office, although it's not usually considered ethical to withdraw it for reasons other than finding that the research contains serious flaws, and god help you if you withdraw it to submit it to a different journal because your ass will get blacklisted.
I guess it depends on the editorial process and how much notice you get before it goes to print. A lot of electronics and instrumentation magazines do it by theme. If you submit and your topic has come up it could be very quick indeed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on March 26, 2012, 11:15:29 PM

I guess it depends on the editorial process and how much notice you get before it goes to print. A lot of electronics and instrumentation magazines do it by theme. If you submit and your topic has come up it could be very quick indeed.

I can believe that, for sure, but I'm not sure those follow the same protocols as peer-reviewed academic journals? I don't know a ton of published researchers, but I've never heard of anyone not receiving notification and congratulations that their study was accepted for publication. Usually there's a whole process, including in some cases an opportunity to defend criticisms or answer questions if the reviewers have any.

Faust

Quote from: Nigel on March 26, 2012, 11:40:18 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 26, 2012, 11:15:29 PM

I can believe that, for sure, but I'm not sure those follow the same protocols as peer-reviewed academic journals? I don't know a ton of published researchers, but I've never heard of anyone not receiving notification and congratulations that their study was accepted for publication. Usually there's a whole process, including in some cases an opportunity to defend criticisms or answer questions if the reviewers have any.
All university publications would go through that process, but at least of electronics, industry people wouldn't follow them too closely.

Doktor Howl

What are we arguing about?

The OP demonstrates the best way to squelch politically unpopular science that I have ever seen.

Trying to game that system just gives it credibility.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2012, 04:44:40 AM
What are we arguing about?

The OP demonstrates the best way to squelch politically unpopular science that I have ever seen.

Trying to game that system just gives it credibility.

ANNNND also this.