News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

There's really not much point to this, anymore.

Started by Doktor Howl, March 26, 2012, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

There's more traffic at Capitol Grilling, for fuck's sake.

Everyone has time for everything except Eris.  Nothing like a good, old-fashioned snub, right?   :lulz:

This shit has officially gotten old.  Figure I'll fuck off and check back in on Friday, and see if anyone's been by.
Molon Lube

LMNO

You know, I did come up with something to rant about when I was out this weekend.

And now that my taxes are done (getting a rebate!), I can get to work on it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 26, 2012, 08:37:04 PM
You know, I did come up with something to rant about when I was out this weekend.

And now that my taxes are done (getting a rebate!), I can get to work on it.

It's not even ranting, LMNO.  We have no traffic at all.  We range from 3 people online to 17 people online, and nobody can be arsed to join a conversation, riff on a rant, or do anything besides hit F5, looking for something new to read.

Remember when we said "Make PD what you want it to be"?  Well, that involves having people occasionally participate, rather than endlessly view topics.

My take on it is that we've lost the crowd to Facebook.  What people really seem to want is something they can Like, rather than conversation or spewing rants or whatever.

So, if you can't beat 'em, drop on all fours and join the herd, I guess.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Maybe we need more silliness?  Are people not posting because they want to be making deep, insightful comments, and not fnording up the place?

Or is it (horror upon horror) the Curse of the Open Bar???

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 26, 2012, 08:46:04 PM
Maybe we need more silliness?  Are people not posting because they want to be making deep, insightful comments, and not fnording up the place?

I agree with Cain that the Open Bar was INANE.

But I also think that it got people typing.  Sort of a warm up exercise, if you will.  Right now, we have small bursts of conversation between the same 10-12 people, and nobody else posts at all, no matter what you do.  But there's plenty of activity on Facebook.  Most of our MIA posters are there.

Zuckerberg & Millions of Screaming Pinks - 1

Discordia - 0
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

i never read the open bar simply due to the lack of topic.  (i'd just skip over it)  it seemed too scattered, and that it would be better if the conversations were separate threads.  but if it simply killed the conversations and people left, i don't see the harm it did to justify that repercussion...
was the point of getting rid of it that we simply didn't want an inane thread constantly at the top of the heap, or did it cause technical problems due to the traffic it got?

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 26, 2012, 08:48:41 PM

But I also think that it got people typing.  Sort of a warm up exercise, if you will.  Right now, we have small bursts of conversation between the same 10-12 people, and nobody else posts at all, no matter what you do.  But there's plenty of activity on Facebook.  Most of our MIA posters are there.

Discordia - 0
I don't think so, I have half the people who have vanished over the last year on FB and they rarely post anything.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on March 26, 2012, 08:59:55 PM
i never read the open bar simply due to the lack of topic.  (i'd just skip over it)  it seemed too scattered, and that it would be better if the conversations were separate threads.  but if it simply killed the conversations and people left, i don't see the harm it did to justify that repercussion...
was the point of getting rid of it that we simply didn't want an inane thread constantly at the top of the heap, or did it cause technical problems due to the traffic it got?

I think it was killed because the TMI level got too high.  Nobody wants to hear about other peoples' problems with their junk, etc.

And because there IS already a Facebook.  Problem is, when most of the user base went over to Zuckerberg, the "population density" here sank below the level needed to keep conversations going.

And it wasn't JUST the open bar thread.  There's also some legendary butthurt out there, and that didn't help much, either.  I know of a half-dozen people off the top of my head that come in here to see how low the board's traffic has gotten, just so they can hug themselves and say how the problem is me or ECH or Nigel or whatever, and look how right they were...Rather than the fact that they got in a scrap, got butthurt over it, and threw their toys out of the pram.

Presumably, when and if the board actually goes dead, they can come back and say "I told you so" to an empty room.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on March 26, 2012, 09:03:14 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 26, 2012, 08:48:41 PM

Discordia - 0
I don't think so, I have half the people who have vanished over the last year on FB and they rarely post anything.

Anything we can see.  A ton of them are online all the time, and the new trend there is private boards.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Maybe we need more silliness?

Also, tried that.  I wrote the Payne's Messiah Complex thing...Mostly to try to lure Payne back, but also because it was goofy and it seemed like it would be something fun to do.  I got a handful of what was essentially mittens, P3nt riffed once, and the damn thing fell flat. 
Molon Lube

Salty

I am writing like a robot monkey in heat with a bad motor. Trying new shit out.

As for Eris, I'm doing my best to shove her Good Word into the helpless faces around me. I've taken a special interest in people recently.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Alty on March 26, 2012, 09:17:21 PM

Just not here.   :sad:
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Eris always prevails, though. She's a bitch that way. And when fecesbook falls, it will fall hard, and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Meanwhile this place really was almost stone dead yesterday, but I attributed that to Sunday.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't much care for Facebook.

But if people are posting on private boards there, they're not inviting me. :lulz:

I'm having a shitty day today. Took one of my GED tests, then missed the start of another one because I gave in to someone's request to have me entertain them. So now, instead of being done Wednesday, I won't be done until next Monday. Which is too late to apply for dual enrollment.

My own damn fault.

[/open bar]

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 26, 2012, 09:18:25 PM
Quote from: Alty on March 26, 2012, 09:17:21 PM

Just not here.   :sad:

:lol:
It will be. Where else would I put it? I've given much consideration to the concept of second drafts.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.