News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

There's really not much point to this, anymore.

Started by Doktor Howl, March 26, 2012, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on March 27, 2012, 07:48:50 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 27, 2012, 07:46:29 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on March 27, 2012, 07:43:23 PM
Ah, well then I'm wrong and the problem is Facebook.

Mark Zuckerberg, you've screwed us all!

You're half right.

The thing is, you continue to misrepresent the actual conflicts, and insist on blaming the creative people who didn't want to have their shit misappropriated to serve someone else's ego. Keep rewriting history, little rockstar!

This is not a new issue. It's been going on for years. Cain and Roger were both bitching about it when I forst got here. Shit on the producers for too long, what happens?

OK. Since the problem seems to have left the site, I'm sure creative content will return shortly and this lull is short term.

As RWHN and I both pointed out, the decline preceded the fucking argument, and the intermittens thing didn't prevent several more intermittens issues.

But well done, Rat.  Mission accomplished.
Molon Lube

AFK

I tend to agree with Rat's overall sentiment regarding the projects.  There definitely has been a shift over time.  He's right, when BiP was being put together, we didn't seem to give a damn about money, copyright, etc.  A couple people wanted, rightfully so, to make sure they were attributed in a certain way, but that was the extent of it.  We were all throwing in because we wanted to assault eyes and ears with our shit.  Same with the POEEcasts.  We just wanted to spread the weirdness.  Somewhere along the way that changed.  I don't know how or why that happened. 

But, that aside, I'm still not sure that this issue was really any kind of nail in the coffin in terms of board traffic and activity.  Traffic had been on a slow decline for awhile.  In the past year it feels like the floor just fell out.  I still chalk it up mostly to people having ever involved and demanding lives.  I don't think the board snark and fights have helped much either, but those have been around forever as well.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 27, 2012, 08:00:19 PM
I tend to agree with Rat's overall sentiment regarding the projects.

Figured you might.
Molon Lube

AFK

We just need some new blood.  Some young whipper-snappers without kids, who are going to school, who want to take the world by the short and curlies and scream in its face.

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Scribbly

Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 27, 2012, 08:02:08 PM
We just need some new blood.  Some young whipper-snappers without kids, who are going to school, who want to take the world by the short and curlies and scream in its face.

Well, the first thing you need to do, is not target them.

(This is aimed at riffing off the advertising concepts discussed a few weeks ago, and the idea we should be trying to attract people who use facebook/twitter/wtfever)

People who use social media often are constantly targeted by advertising campaigns. They are endemic, and I think that they now do more to drown out the message than to communicate anything. The problem with breaking into social media networks is that they are designed to be a closed system. That is; the majority of people who use them do not want to interact with people they do not know or express an interest in beforehand.

The exception to this are the people, groups and companies that use these platforms to send out their message. By riding on their signal, you can draw attention without seeming to be forceful or pushy.

SO if you want to break into the twitter crowd, setting up a discordian identity and using it to post memebombs and similar (on-topic) quotes when subjects arise on celebrity feeds might not be a bad way to go, for instance.

On the other hand, anything that screams 'I am a marketing tool trying to convince you to do something' is going to immediately count out 9/10 members of your potential audience.

Of course, advertising IRL, leaving copies of Intermittens and the BIP in coffee shops etc, that sort of thing may also be a good tactic... but I don't know, I don't have much experience with viral marketing campaigns. I have been reading an absurd amount about social networking theory lately, though. (And I still don't have a facebook, suck it Zuckerburg!)
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on March 27, 2012, 08:25:23 PM
Quote from: What's-His-Name? on March 27, 2012, 08:02:08 PM

Well, the first thing you need to do, is not target them.

(This is aimed at riffing off the advertising concepts discussed a few weeks ago, and the idea we should be trying to attract people who use facebook/twitter/wtfever)

People who use social media often are constantly targeted by advertising campaigns. They are endemic, and I think that they now do more to drown out the message than to communicate anything. The problem with breaking into social media networks is that they are designed to be a closed system. That is; the majority of people who use them do not want to interact with people they do not know or express an interest in beforehand.

The exception to this are the people, groups and companies that use these platforms to send out their message. By riding on their signal, you can draw attention without seeming to be forceful or pushy.

SO if you want to break into the twitter crowd, setting up a discordian identity and using it to post memebombs and similar (on-topic) quotes when subjects arise on celebrity feeds might not be a bad way to go, for instance.

On the other hand, anything that screams 'I am a marketing tool trying to convince you to do something' is going to immediately count out 9/10 members of your potential audience.

Of course, advertising IRL, leaving copies of Intermittens and the BIP in coffee shops etc, that sort of thing may also be a good tactic... but I don't know, I don't have much experience with viral marketing campaigns. I have been reading an absurd amount about social networking theory lately, though. (And I still don't have a facebook, suck it Zuckerburg!)

I have a good idea for a flyer...

Gimme a few hours.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You're half right.

The thing is, you continue to misrepresent the actual conflicts, and insist on blaming the creative people who didn't want to have their shit misappropriated to serve someone else's ego. Keep rewriting history, little rockstar!

This is not a new issue. It's been going on for years. Cain and Roger were both bitching about it when I forst got here. Shit on the producers for too long, what happens?

OK. Since the problem seems to have left the site, I'm sure creative content will return shortly and this lull is short term.

"The problem" isn't a person.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Seems to me that our best "recruitment" happens when we're not trying to recruit anyone. In fact, recruitment never seems to work out that well unless it's accidental.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on March 27, 2012, 08:28:27 PM

You're half right.

I'm a bit of a sucker, Nigel.  I honestly thought Rat was willing to let the butthurt go.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on March 27, 2012, 08:29:21 PM
Seems to me that our best "recruitment" happens when we're not trying to recruit anyone. In fact, recruitment never seems to work out that well unless it's accidental.

Well, I'd like to try something that we've talked about, but rarely done:  A flyer blitz, directing people here.

I just have to think of a way to word my version of it so that we don't get overrun with emotards.

Molon Lube

Scribbly

I recruited a guy once.

And then he accidentally the eyes of a wolf.  :sad:
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2012, 08:29:49 PM
Quote from: Nigel on March 27, 2012, 08:28:27 PM

You're half right.

I'm a bit of a sucker, Nigel.  I honestly thought Rat was willing to let the butthurt go.

NEVAR!  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 27, 2012, 08:30:56 PM

Well, I'd like to try something that we've talked about, but rarely done:  A flyer blitz, directing people here.

I just have to think of a way to word my version of it so that we don't get overrun with emotards.

I'm willing to participate.

Because it does seem like finding online places to be total dicks is meeting with slim pickings these days.

LMNO

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on March 27, 2012, 08:31:08 PM

I recruited a guy once.

And then he accidentally the eyes of a wolf.  :sad:

To be honest, having him here was truly a life-changing experience.

Cain

I didn't want a life-changing experience, but I looked into the eyes of a Wolfpoet, and, well...

Also, while I'm all about the enthusiasm for IRL recruitment, I would like to point out that recruitment in and of itself is not a strategy destined for success.  If they turn up here and all they find is...well, the last two days in essence, lots of gaping silence and little else, they are not going to be inclined to stay.