News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

This Is The Kind Of Shit I LIVE FOR Department

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 02, 2004, 08:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

Very strange, indeed.
I think you're Triple Z.
I would imagine that most of the things we take for granted were stumbled upon by someone who did something weird.

For instance, I always wonder how many people had to get sick or die
before humanity figured out which plants were safe to eat.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

I'm always reminded of kung fu, pressure points and locking holds. All of that stuff was developed by trial and error over the course of a few thousand years. "Check that out... yeah, he wont be able to use his legs for the rest of the day."

Bella

Quote from: Z¬?I'm always reminded of kung fu, pressure points and locking holds. All of that stuff was developed by trial and error over the course of a few thousand years. "Check that out... yeah, he wont be able to use his legs for the rest of the day."
Exactly.
And who figured out how to make all the nifty tools we have? Trial and error and the ability to share information made it possible for us to build the body of knowledge we have today. My kid used to love the PBS show "Connections" just because it talked about stuff like this, and how one thing is built upon another, which was built upon something else.
just like in a dream

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of Doom
Quote from: Z¬?I'm always reminded of kung fu, pressure points and locking holds. All of that stuff was developed by trial and error over the course of a few thousand years. "Check that out... yeah, he wont be able to use his legs for the rest of the day."
Exactly.
And who figured out how to make all the nifty tools we have? Trial and error and the ability to share information made it possible for us to build the body of knowledge we have today. My kid used to love the PBS show "Connections" just because it talked about stuff like this, and how one thing is built upon another, which was built upon something else.

That was a really good show, but I remember it being on TLC and not PBS.

PBS is still good for Cyberchase.

Bella

You're no doubt right about the channel.
I'm not good at remembering that kind of stuff.

But, yeah it was a good show.
just like in a dream

gnimbley

Connections was an old PBS show before it became a TLC show.
There have been at least three difference incarnations of it.
The first series was the best, IMO.

Isn't there some vaccine where they take material from a rabbit and
inject it into a dog and then inject into humans? Like the cure for
rabies or something? How did they come up with that?

Horab Fibslager

this reminds me alot of modern medial stuff came from the holocaust....

so tehre you go.

reminds me ofthe questionable ethics chapter in hl1.
Hell is other people.

Quote from: Generalissimo Fibslagerthis reminds me alot of modern medial stuff came from the holocaust....

so tehre you go.

reminds me ofthe questionable ethics chapter in hl1.

Project Paperclip

Bob the Mediocre

Quote from: gnimbleyConnections was an old PBS show before it became a TLC show.
There have been at least three difference incarnations of it.
The first series was the best, IMO.

Isn't there some vaccine where they take material from a rabbit and
inject it into a dog and then inject into humans? Like the cure for
rabies or something? How did they come up with that?

Connections was a computer game, too.
Useless info. about vaccines: the name comes from the word cow, because the first smallpox vaccine was made from cowpox, a less serious disease.
"we are building a religion
we are making a brand
we're the only ones to turn to when your castles turn to sand
take a bite of this apple
mister corporate events
take a walk through the jungle
of cardboard shanties and tents
some people drink pepsi
some people drink coke
the wacky morning dj says democracy's a joke
he says now do you believe in the one big song
he is now accepting callers who would like to sing along"

I AM A COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKING IDIOT!

agent compassion

Man, I was raised on PBS. Doctor Who and Mcneil-Lehrer News Hour. :)
Now I love "Mythbusters."

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

Nikoli Volkoff

TV is evil, and will suck your brains out your nostrals. beware, you have been warned.
The Hidden stone ripens fast, then laid bare like a turnip can easily be cut out at last but even then the danger isn't past. That man lives best who's fain to live half mad, half sane. -Flemish Poet Jan Van Stijevoort, 1524.

Malaul

Quote from: agent compassionMan, I was raised on PBS. Doctor Who and Mcneil-Lehrer News Hour. :)
Now I love "Mythbusters."
Mythbusters > Mister Wizards WOrld
Coito ergo sum
O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy,the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.  --Comedian Chris Rock

~~~~Closed~~~~

Mythbusters is awesome.

I find it hard to believe that they get payed to do nothing but blow shit up and stuff.

Hoshiko

Don't forget the building of natural "lasers". And inflatable rafts out of used clothing.

I think they sold their soul to Bella to get that job. I would sell mine too to take it over.

And there was a little show called the Straight Dope long before Mythbusters... if Cecil Adams had had their budget, imagine the possibilities!
Making people sorry they asked since 1983.

She got the speakers in the trunk
With the bass on crunk.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.