News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Poisonous Righteous PART I

Started by navkat, April 05, 2012, 03:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Part I
It was almost over. This madness was coming to a close. The R.U.D.E Act of 2014 was coming to its end and it had not been renewed. "Thank you, Jesus," she scoffed.

Kaetlun Rayne leaned back and took a last drag off her cigarette then flicked it into the parking lot. "I've really got to quit these," she thought. "These things'll get me killed," the irony of the thought not lost on her.  Pulling a body spray from her purse, she spritzed herself to cover the smoke smell, popped a breath mint into her mouth then looked up at the camera and pushed the buzzer.

The fact of the matter was that she was looking forward to this; no one she knew had been tapped...at least not yet, anyway. She thought about her vantage point as an insider. This was going to be fun.

This was her second year working for Senator Mellon and she'd really gotten into the groove here.  Despite her upbringing by a single, Baptist, teenage mom in Princess Anne, despite her enrollment in the Pure Heritage Academy, despite her unfortunate name, she'd found her place—had escaped the clutches of PHA and in spite of the heckling, the threats of violence for betraying her own kind, she'd worked her way up from the second-rate Poli-Sci program at UMES, taken an internship she could hardly afford and worked at the old Bay Crab Dip as a server to get by.  Now she was the Senator's "S" Admin and well on her way up.

She was off the Heritage registry—Senator Mellon had made sure of this. Her application for expeditious integration signed and stamped in blue-black ink, she had made a color copy the day he signed before hurriedly sliding it into a manila envelope for the courier to hand-deliver back to Annapolis. Her name expunged from the ranks of thousands of racist, white rednecks, forever, she would never again be identified as a Skirter.

She was free.

It had been a failed experiment. Board Leader Obama—then known as President Obama—had meant well. The Reaching Unity through Diversified Education Act (or R.U.D.E., as it was colloquially known) was a social experiment with the loftiest intentions but 15 years of indulging the worst kind of madness from the very dredges of society had left the nation in a state of near (forgive the phrase) mental retardation. Granting vouchers to let the Skirters (a shorthand slang for "outskirters,"  or those who insisted on forming Schools whose tenets included backwards and unhealthy resistance to integration) to raise and educate their children however they wished (so long as they followed the approved Incorporated States of the Americas academic curriculum, of course) was a big mistake. Instead of unity, all it had served to achieve was division. And while it was true that the crime rate was lower—part of the bill included an expedited processing clause for Schools whose crime stats were too high—it did nothing in the way of shaping progress. The TRAIL (or Total Resolve to Achieve Integrational Liberty) Amendment would change all that.

She couldn't wait for the processing to begin.

navkat

This one's for you, Roger. Thanks for the renewed inspiration today.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

A future in which the teabaggers got what they wanted? This has my interest.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I'm waiting to see how deep the shit is.  :)
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on April 05, 2012, 03:42:41 AM
This one's for you, Roger. Thanks for the renewed inspiration today.

I love it.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO