News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Advertiser discovers the power of WOMP

Started by Triple Zero, April 05, 2012, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

(quoted from PlentyOfFish--Throw Everything You Know About Ads Out The Window)

I personally found this hilarious, tested these 2 ads for the sake of curiosity 15k impressions each:

- Nice picture of actual in-game content
- Green call to action button w/ "free", "free online racing"
- Trust symbol (EA = reputable, Need For Speed = huge reputable franchise)

VS

- Some shit ad I made in 5 mins in Microsoft Paint.

Results? 0.049% CTR1 vs. 0.137% CTR in favor of the shit ad in Microsoft Paint. I also tested speed lines vs. no speed lines behind the car and speed lines won LOL.

1 CTR = Click-Through-Ratio, the ratio of people that click the ad divided by the total amount of people that visit the site.

With 15k visitors, that means about 7 people clicked on the EA ad, while 21 people clicked on the WOMP ad.

Glorious!!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It's unlikely that any adjacent ads will look like the WOMP so it's kind of presorted by your perception as something unusual to look at. It also has more simplicity, more vivid colors, more overall contrast, as well as a larger headline—all things that are also working in its favor.

Good luck convincing clients to hop on board with something like that though, even with data to back it up.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Triple Zero

Quote from: Net on April 05, 2012, 09:27:57 PM
It's unlikely that any adjacent ads will look like the WOMP so it's kind of presorted by your perception as something unusual to look at. It also has more simplicity, more vivid colors, more overall contrast, as well as a larger headline—all things that are also working in its favor.

Good luck convincing clients to hop on board with something like that though, even with data to back it up.

Naturally. Most of the comments were along these lines too:
"well the original ad was kind of crappy to begin with"
"it's probably the novelty factor" (my 1st guess, as well)
"what's the conversion rate?" (curious about that too)

He posted a follow-up, but hasn't published results yet, so stay tuned:
http://blog.ads.pof.com/2012/04/05/follow-up-case-study-with-your-suggestions-implemented/

somewhat relevant:

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"