News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

"He was really a nice guy, He went to church and everything."

Started by Don Coyote, September 13, 2011, 02:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Wow, surprising amount of asshole comments to such a horrible news.

What kind of person does it make you when you react like that?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on April 10, 2012, 03:42:30 PM

I'd read it again, if I were you.  There was one asshole comment, and then a bunch of people calling the guy who made the comment an asshole.
Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

This article was linked to the first one: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-03-04/news/31122324_1_white-boy-fire-tv-station

Two black kids douse a white kid with gasoline and set him on fire for being white.

Horrible things happen every day. And people are becoming confused about how to respond to it.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on April 10, 2012, 07:34:55 PM
This article was linked to the first one: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-03-04/news/31122324_1_white-boy-fire-tv-station

Two black kids douse a white kid with gasoline and set him on fire for being white.

Horrible things happen every day. And people are becoming confused about how to respond to it.

Uhhhhh.......NOT LIKE A DICKHEAD?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 10, 2012, 04:40:00 PM

I'd read it again, if I were you.  There was one asshole comment, and then a bunch of people calling the guy who made the comment an asshole.

Yes, mostly people calling out, but this pissed me off too "This may be bad, but I wasn't shocked by this at all.", reminded me of a thread that analyzed the recurrent types of comments/responses within a given possible thread, like "oh, we should not just send him to prison for entire life, we should cut his balls off, or no we should set him on fire and catapult him to, etc" and the other kinds of comments that "oh, thats is nothing to be shocked about, seen it a million times" type of hipster sociopath comment

Maybe im overreacting in conjunction with the other post...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on April 11, 2012, 03:37:01 AM

Yes, mostly people calling out, but this pissed me off too "This may be bad, but I wasn't shocked by this at all.", reminded me of a thread that analyzed the recurrent types of comments/responses within a given possible thread, like "oh, we should not just send him to prison for entire life, we should cut his balls off, or no we should set him on fire and catapult him to, etc" and the other kinds of comments that "oh, thats is nothing to be shocked about, seen it a million times" type of hipster sociopath comment

I think that you're conflating lack of surprise with lack of disgust. The fact that someone says the million times before thing indicates a sort of weariness that people can be so horrible. It's not them that are the sociopaths, but the people they read about are.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

It's harder to play Ain't It Awful with jaded peeps.  :lol:

Don Coyote

My original intention in linking this article wasn't to "Isn't this awful", but more "People don't know eachother anymore and only look at the surface"
Even their neighbors were fucking clueless that this kind of shit was going on.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 11, 2012, 05:30:42 AM
My original intention in linking this article wasn't to "Isn't this awful", but more "People don't know eachother anymore and only look at the surface"

Definitely. You see someone as a church goer, so they obviously can't be a monster. Those are the worst kind of monsters, because you never see it coming.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 11, 2012, 05:30:42 AM

I know that. That was for JN.

&ETA: Yeah. Church-going doesn't tell you a damn thing about a person.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on April 11, 2012, 03:37:01 AM

Or maybe you're not getting what this subforum is about.  It's about horror, not fear or loathing.

But don't let that get in the way of your righteous indignation at what rotten people we all are.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

My responses werent an attack on the OP or the general responses, it was towards Kaasov and to A.N. (which the latter i can go with Twid's interpretation that is more jaded than anything). So i do apologize for not conveying my message clearly.

Back on topic regarding how him being a "church-goer" and doing this kind of abuse as something incompatible and causing "cognitive dissonance" so to speak, shows how some people still believe that having a certain ideology or posturing as a "moral person" is confused with being an actual one.

Like if there couldnt possibly be a difference between ideas and actions or certain actions like going to church excluded the possibility of atrocious actions.

I think more than anything it shows the ex-girlfriends very limited frame of reference or interpretation which any actual acknowledgement or knowledge of history of how religious people can and do act could easily put into question.

-B.F. Skinner

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on April 10, 2012, 07:57:27 PM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on April 10, 2012, 07:34:55 PM

Uhhhhh.......NOT LIKE A DICKHEAD?

That would be preferred, certainly. :S But I have the overwhelming suspicion that some people are too stupid to know better.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.