News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Turtles all the way down

Started by Ishkur, April 13, 2012, 07:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 14, 2012, 02:28:56 AM
I for one really appreciated the OP. Biological metaphors, especially ones grounded in insect behavior (you had me at Sphecidae) are so attractive to me.

At least, up until the final paragraph. Discord (I know, I know, chord /is/ a word, but discord is spelled without an 'h') is something that happens with humans, because while our minds may be largely ordered genetic programing, we do not all have the same programming. Also, minds programmed for hierarchies, which, unless there is a perfect numerical lock in between people and niches, will ALWAYS come into conflict at some level.

There's good reason to believe that social games are what selected for the human mind. Humans, the perfect embodiment of order and disorder, thus chaos.

Also, humans aren't insects.

Just saying.
Molon Lube

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2012, 02:30:43 AM
I for one really appreciated the OP. Biological metaphors, especially ones grounded in insect behavior (you had me at Sphecidae) are so attractive to me.

At least, up until the final paragraph. Discord (I know, I know, chord /is/ a word, but discord is spelled without an 'h') is something that happens with humans, because while our minds may be largely ordered genetic programing, we do not all have the same programming. Also, minds programmed for hierarchies, which, unless there is a perfect numerical lock in between people and niches, will ALWAYS come into conflict at some level.

There's good reason to believe that social games are what selected for the human mind. Humans, the perfect embodiment of order and disorder, thus chaos.

Just saying.

While I cannot technically disprove this, I'm just going to point out that neither appreciates a blast of RAID in the face.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Chairman Risus on April 14, 2012, 02:38:32 AM

Just saying.

While I cannot technically disprove this, I'm just going to point out that neither appreciates a blast of RAID in the face.

Yeah, and both hate it when you hit them with sledgehammers and then light them on fire.

Not sure where we're going with this.
Molon Lube

Freeky

I could think of any number of things that hate both of those things.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 14, 2012, 02:41:37 AM

But not the way digger wasps and I hate those things.

Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2012, 02:42:32 AM

But I thought you liked getting bludgeoned?  You always shout such nice things when you get beat with The Meathammah.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 14, 2012, 02:43:43 AM

But I thought you liked getting bludgeoned?  You always shout such nice things when you get beat with The Meathammah.

It's the sledgehammmer bit.  It doesn't hurt the right way.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2012, 02:44:36 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 14, 2012, 02:43:43 AM

It's the sledgehammmer bit.  It doesn't hurt the right way.

Touche.

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 14, 2012, 02:40:57 AM
Quote from: Chairman Risus on April 14, 2012, 02:38:32 AM

Just saying.

Yeah, and both hate it when you hit them with sledgehammers and then light them on fire.

Not sure where we're going with this.

Point. The "can of RAID to the face" test is often inconclusive, anyway. Humans probably aren't arthropods.

Kai

Just saying.

No, humans aren't insects (Seriously Dok?) Humans, however despite their recursive loop awareness, still have fixed action patterns that are difficult to derail. The comparison to insect behavior reveals how much of human behavior is equally automatic. The difference being that we can break free.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on April 14, 2012, 02:58:38 AM

No, humans aren't insects (Seriously Dok?)

Seriously.  That was the problem I had with the OP.  The comparison was crap.

Molon Lube

navkat

I was thinking about this in the car on the way to the store tonight. I was thinking about how alllll of the world's problems could be solved if everyone would just shut the fuck up and think logically. And then I was like "Well, there are all these cultural differences and...NO! Cultural differences, BULLSHIT. logic transcends stupid ideas like "cultural differences. Scientific theory. Apply it. Bam. ALL DEVIANTS SHALL BE SHOT."

There ain't no fascist like a Libertarian scorned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on April 14, 2012, 03:25:03 AM
I was thinking about this in the car on the way to the store tonight. I was thinking about how alllll of the world's problems could be solved if everyone would just shut the fuck up and think logically. And then I was like "Well, there are all these cultural differences and...NO! Cultural differences, BULLSHIT. logic transcends stupid ideas like "cultural differences. Scientific theory. Apply it. Bam. ALL DEVIANTS SHALL BE SHOT."

There ain't no fascist like a Libertarian scorned.

Hell with that.  People start thinking logically, I'm gonna go batshit.
Molon Lube

Freeky

navkat