News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

On Being Wrong, Internet Fights, and My Godlike Forebearance.

Started by Doktor Howl, April 20, 2012, 04:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

When you misspeak or make an error, and someone who knows more than you about the subject corrects you, that is not "a fight."  When, after being corrected by someone who knows more than you do or who points out clear indications that you have made a basic factual error, you have a FIT and go into a TIZZY and get all OUTRAGED about how wrong it is for anyone to tell you that your errors actually are errors and to cruelly point out authoritative sources which clearly demonstrate that you are simply and obviously mistaken and wrong, that is not "a fight" either.

When, after publicly humiliating yourself in such a manner, multiplying your error by denying or discounting the obvious facts of the matter, someone tersely and accurately describes your behavior as infantile, moronic, and an embarrassment to all thinking creatures, that is ALSO not "a fight".  What is IS, is DUMBASSERY.

I am just about the most tolerant, kind hearted, reasonable, generous son of a bitch who ever walked the face of this planet. Jesus Fucking Christ himself was like a fucking million Hitlers compared to me. Even I have my limits as to how much inane blather and peabrained bullshit I can endure, despite my almost godlike longsuffering nature.  When, after careful consideration I, with great kindness and generosity, attempt to help DUMB FUCKS by pointing out just how much of a STUPID BUNCH OF HALF-ASSED CRAPSACKS they are, all I expect from you is your GRATITUDE.  But what do I get instead? DUMBASSEDNESS.  That's why YOU ALL SUCK and you ALWAYS WILL.  You stupid jerks.

If you're proven wrong about something, then ADJUST YOUR MINDSET TO FIT THE FUCKING FACTS.  Do not expect the rest of the universe to change to suit your need to be correct in all things.  Hell, I make errors all the time, I accept truisms when I know better...And when I'm proven wrong, I ACCEPT THAT and MOVE ON, and as a bonus, I am a little smarter than I was before the conversation.

Being wrong about something or making an error does not show that you are a dumbfuck.  Digging in your heels about it and engaging in semantics, moving the goalposts, and similar behavior DOES demonstrate that you are a dumbfuck.

Don't be a dumbfuck.

Okay for now,
Dok

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

So, who's eating the paint chips this time?
And what the Nigels said.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 20, 2012, 04:46:44 PM

At the moment?  Mike the Engineer.  But it applies to PD, once in a while.
Molon Lube

navkat

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 20, 2012, 04:48:11 PM

At the moment?  Mike the Engineer.  But it applies to PD, once in a while.

Sometimes PD. Facebook, a LOT. Ron Paulites, ALWAYS.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 20, 2012, 04:48:11 PM

At the moment?  Mike the Engineer. But it applies to PD, once in a while.

Oh, dear. :lulz:

Cain

Fuck you Dok, what do you know?  My beliefs being right are more important than anything, pride, dignity, life itself.  If I have to admit I'm wrong, it'd be like killing me, only it would be worse, because I'd still be alive afterwards and have to live with the embarassment.  If I tell myself I'm right, regardless of any evidence to the contrary, then I don't have to worry about looking or feeling stupid, because it's how I feel on the inside that counts and besides, that's just, like, your opinion and stuff, man.  I have lots of opinions that contradict your opinions.  But mine are more valid, because.  Here, look at all the links.  LOOK AT THEM!  Only you can't, because even if you had UNLIMITED DATA, you cannot handle THE TRUTH, which is my opinions and superior to your opinions, making me a superior example of humanity.

Fact.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2012, 07:12:37 PM
Fuck you Dok, what do you know?  My beliefs being right are more important than anything, pride, dignity, life itself.  If I have to admit I'm wrong, it'd be like killing me, only it would be worse, because I'd still be alive afterwards and have to live with the embarassment.  If I tell myself I'm right, regardless of any evidence to the contrary, then I don't have to worry about looking or feeling stupid, because it's how I feel on the inside that counts and besides, that's just, like, your opinion and stuff, man.  I have lots of opinions that contradict your opinions.  But mine are more valid, because.  Here, look at all the links.  LOOK AT THEM!  Only you can't, because even if you had UNLIMITED DATA, you cannot handle THE TRUTH, which is my opinions and superior to your opinions, making me a superior example of humanity.

Fact.

I stand corrected.
Molon Lube

Cain

That's no fair.  You're meant to dig your heels in and refuse to budge  :sad:

Freeky

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2012, 07:17:03 PM
That's no fair.  You're meant to dig your heels in and refuse to budge  :sad:

VICTORY THROUGH SUPERIOR HUMILITY!

:hammer:
Molon Lube

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."