News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Connections game

Started by Placid Dingo, April 23, 2012, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

It's like Word Association but with more of a point. When we started some of the 'What do we want Aneristic Illusions to be' a lot of people made a point of saying they knew how little politics they knew, and wanted to improve their knowledge. I thought this could be a way for us to build on eachothers knowledge in a fun way that acknowledges the interconnectedness of everything.

Basically you post a figure and give an overview, and somebody draws a connection to them.

Eg,

Wilfred Burchett, pro communist journalist

connects to

Richard Feynman - Burchett won fame being the first journalist into post bomb Hiroshima. The project to create the bomb had the involvement of Feynmann.

etc. Surprising or generally unknown links are OK. Even 'non-political' figures are OK. If we end up with Jay-Z we just connect to Beyonce, who performed for Gaddafi. There's enough links out there.

I would have put this in AI but wasn't sure how it would have been received there.

To make it easy I'll start out with a super easy one; Barack Obama, current President of the United States.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Deepthroat Chopra

OK, but I'm connecting Barrack Obama with Hillary Clinton, and Colonel Harlan Sanders. Both members of the American government executive have been linked with bad jokes about Kentucky Fried Chicken -

and

It seems an American political tactic to smear your opponent with fried chicken

So, Harlan Sanders, dead fried chicken entrepreneur, who is only an "honorary" colonel, a title bestowed on him by two fried-chicken loving Kentucky governors.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Placid Dingo

Sanders was in Cuba in 1906 according to the documents linked to his Wikipedia page, putting him as a 16 year old doing military service as part of the Pacification of Cuba.

The guy in the image is Jose Miguel Gomez. He was a general in the Cuban war of independence who became the President of Cuba in 1908, at which point the American troops could go home, including (I assume) Sanders, who was happy to get out out the hot and spicy Cuban lifestyle, which had fried his nerves.

Deepthroat Chopra

Gomez signed the Platt Amedment of 1901, giving Cuba preferential trade with America with Sugar, and giving the US Guantanamo Bay in return, amongst many other things. The Platt Amendment is referenced in the 1982 High School Drama/Comedy classic, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

Sean Penn plays a stoner surfer in the same film.

Sean Penn - Hollywood actor, critic of Bush, opposer of Iraq war, friend of Hugo Chavez, Hurricane Katrina rescuer, and figurehead of a number of "left" causes.

Doktor Howl

WOW!  Another interbutt word game!

THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST THING SINCE 3 WORD STORY!

:banana:

Dingo, you are a fucking genius.  I only wish I was an upside down person, so I could have all the blood rush to my head too...Leading to BRILLIANT FUCKING IDEAS LIKE THIS HERE THREAD!

:banana:
Molon Lube

Deepthroat Chopra

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Triple Zero

I ASSOCIATE THIS THREAD WITH A TOOLBOX
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Deepthroat Chopra

Actually, apologies to Placid for sillifying this thread with Sanders and Penn, though in there own way, they're political animals.

A better connection for Jose Miguel Gomez would be Mamdou Habib, an Australian (and Egyptian) citizen that was arrested kidnapped in Pakistan by the ICI, rendered to Egypt, tortured (allegedly, ha!), and sent ot Guantanamo (camp x-ray) via an Afghan prison. He eventually got out, after nearly four years of his life had been taken. Never charged with a thing, and no evidence of his involvement with Terror has been presented.

Who'd have thought that a Century old deal to get Cubans better sugar deals could relate to a future of human rights failures and illegal renditions that certain governments will never be accountable to. I salute you, Mamdou -

Should I care about the tool-box? (edited)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 27, 2012, 01:36:11 AM
I ASSOCIATE THIS THREAD WITH A TOOLBOX

I ASSOCIATE A TOOLBOX WITH MY PANCE.
Molon Lube

Placid Dingo

For the record I was sincere about my intentions listed above. This was an attempt to educate myself and others further on history and politics using a game model. It's not really meant to be 'omg internet game'. But, whatever.

Habib's file can be found here. It's interesting reading. We can read it because of this guy;

Julian Assange founder of Wikileaks.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Placid Dingo on April 27, 2012, 02:58:56 PM
For the record I was sincere about my intentions listed above.

I, too, am sincere in my intentions.
Molon Lube