News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Strife in your SpaceTimes

Started by Telarus, April 25, 2012, 05:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

I seriously had to read this three times.

Quantum Experiment Shows Effect Before Cause

Posted by Soulskill on Tuesday April 24, @04:32PM
from the enjoy-the-headache dept.

Quote from: 'steveb3210 writes'
"Physicists have demonstrated that making a decision about whether or not to entangle two photons can be made after you've already measured the states of the photons."

Here's the article's description of the experiment:

'Two independent sources (labeled I and II) produce pairs of photons such that their polarization states are entangled.

One photon from I goes to Alice, while one photon from II is sent to Bob.

The second photon from each source goes to Victor.

Alice and Bob independently perform polarization measurements; no communication passes between them during the experiment—they set the orientation of their polarization filters without knowing what the other is doing.

At some time after Alice and Bob perform their measurements, Victor makes a choice (the "delayed choice" in the name). He either allows his two photons from I and II to travel on without doing anything, or he combines them so that their polarization states are entangled.

A final measurement determines the polarization state of those two photons.

... Ma et al. found to a high degree of confidence that when Victor selected entanglement, Alice and Bob found correlated photon polarizations. This didn't happen when Victor left the photons alone.'
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Don Coyote

The state of the photons turns out to be the state measured by the guy who did the measurements AFTER the fact, but without prior knowledge of what those states were?

My eyes are trying to invertthemsels into my skull.

Freeky

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 25, 2012, 05:33:45 AM
The state of the photons turns out to be the state measured by the guy who did the measurements AFTER the fact, but without prior knowledge of what those states were?

My eyes are trying to invertthemsels into my skull.

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm not going to be able to fall asleep very easily now. Shit.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Trying to comprehend this is like trying to visualize a floor tiled with regular octagons.

Freeky

Seriously?  Dang, you guys just don't have any sense of faith at all, do you?  It's easy.  The photons know what's going to happen, so they adjust themselves accordingly.  Then Santa gets diabeetus, and Christmas gets cancelled.  It's simple!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 25, 2012, 06:13:30 AM
Seriously?  Dang, you guys just don't have any sense of faith at all, do you?  It's easy.  The photons know what's going to happen, so they adjust themselves accordingly.  Then Santa gets diabeetus, and Christmas gets cancelled.  It's simple!

Sure. But the thing is is that my brain is screaming "BUT FUCKING HOW?!?!?!"

I mean, times supposed to be linear, right? I think I read about other experiments, recently, that suggested it was impossible to affect the past. Though, that said, it may have involved particles not on the quantum level.

Freeky

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 06:27:27 AM

I mean, times supposed to be linear, right? I think I read about other experiments, recently, that suggested it was impossible to affect the past. Though, that said, it may have involved particles not on the quantum level.

I have no idea, and I will probably never know. :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 25, 2012, 06:48:37 AM

This place is weird. I demand an explanation.

Freeky

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 07:10:09 AM

QUANTUM!

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on April 25, 2012, 07:14:47 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on April 25, 2012, 07:10:09 AM

QUANTUM!

I gave up the science thing in favor of the music thing 18 years ago (I blame Crazy Uncle Bob for exposing me to Nirvana). I need QUANTUM dumbed down into Guitarist.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, it just humorously occurred to me that Crazy Uncle Bob is perhaps the most influential person in my life. since he sparked a major career goal shift.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I call him Crazy Uncle Bob for a reason, since I only have one uncle named Bob (the other uncle Robert goes by Rob, and is my grandmother's brother).

Cain

Unless you adhere to Timeless Physics, yes.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on April 25, 2012, 07:41:51 AM

Unless you adhere to Timeless Physics, yes.

Opened new tab, going to leave it up until later.

Don't want my head exploding before breakfast.

Cain

Time is an illusion.  Breakfast time doubly so.