News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Two Important Questions

Started by NewSpag, April 25, 2012, 08:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm wondering if he came swaggering into the Black Iron Prison with the attitude of "If I beat up the biggest dude I can see...." hence the trolling.

Though, like I said, cautious pending further posts, etc...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2012, 05:50:35 AM
You can say "University", and it's just a university of nonspecific region. Adding "Top 25" every time you say it... well, you may not THINK you're bragging,  but it does say something about the image you wish, on some level, to convey.

And if you think college education is a joke, you are indeed naive. If the education you are currently receiving is a joke, odds are high that either you are taking the wrong classes (I have known many people who started out in the wrong program) or that you're simply an arrogant child who is doing it wrong. Or, third option, that you are still taking prereqs and are blissfully unaware of how much more interesting it will begin to get in a year or two, if you're in the right program.

I was going to post something very similar to this. I for one am enjoying my university classes, even if I don't ever get to work in a field that makes my eventual degree useful I know I am getting something very valuable from it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 27, 2012, 05:58:47 AM
You can say "University", and it's just a university of nonspecific region. Adding "Top 25" every time you say it... well, you may not THINK you're bragging,  but it does say something about the image you wish, on some level, to convey.

And if you think college education is a joke, you are indeed naive. If the education you are currently receiving is a joke, odds are high that either you are taking the wrong classes (I have known many people who started out in the wrong program) or that you're simply an arrogant child who is doing it wrong. Or, third option, that you are still taking prereqs and are blissfully unaware of how much more interesting it will begin to get in a year or two, if you're in the right program.

I was going to post something very similar to this. I for one am enjoying my university classes, even if I don't ever get to work in a field that makes my eventual degree useful I know I am getting something very valuable from it.

At the very least, college (while still in progress) made me enjoy learning again. When I was in High School, I was the smart ass who said "this shit is useless." Then in college, at first it was "Well, I'm paying for it" and then it was "Shit, I'm even getting the math and that makes me happy"

navkat

To validate your reaction, he did come on like a bit of an asshat...but asses sometimes wear the cleverest hats! Birds, flowers, antennae...you just never know what they'll pile on those things next! Let's grab a bag o' greasy, superheated corn-kernels and see what the FNG does to pull out of this.

NewSpag

Very well, I've said it twice and I shall say it no more!  If I were to choose an option it would be the third.  However I feel like my University (this may be a problem specific to my university) is much too job-oriented.  Talking to some of the students (actually every single one I've met so far) you'd think this was a fucking vocational school.  Its just very frustrating.  I guess it may be a little early (have not yet finished my first year) to condemn the entire system, but the whole place seems to be very closed-minded and I hate that. 

Your advice is noted, I'll try to enjoy it a bit more.

As for the swaggering/high horse comments ... I can see how you might get that out of my posts.  As you all were quick to point out, I have no idea how this place works.  Can you blame me for causing a little Discord as I tried to figure out the unwritten rules of PD?
QuoteOne day I realized life was pointless.  I've been celebrating ever since.
There's beauty in everything so lets destroy it all together.
Sometimes Always is Never.  For everything else there's Mastercard.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: navkat on April 27, 2012, 06:01:21 AM
To validate your reaction, he did come on like a bit of an asshat...but asses sometimes wear the cleverest hats! Birds, flowers, antennae...you just never know what they'll pile on those things next! Let's grab a bag o' greasy, superheated corn-kernels and see what the FNG does to pull out of this.

If this is directed at me, like I said, I'm (at least I think I am and I have Cainad's (who met me in person twice) opinion "a rather friendly fellow.")

I try not to react too much to trolls but he bugged me from the get go. I'm willing to put that aside. We have a good few posters here who had a bad beginning, and others who didn't really get noticed by some from the get go.

Hell, you've been here longer than me and I really didn't notice you until that shitty stuff, and now I think you're awesome.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Alright, that post was the most revealing of an actual person I've seen from you so far. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we've seen more of who you actually are.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

NewSpag

Quote from: Nigel on April 27, 2012, 06:05:38 AM
Alright, that post was the most revealing of an actual person I've seen from you so far. I'm willing to reserve judgement until we've seen more of who you actually are.
At the risk of sounding like an asshat troll and having everyone hate me again might I ask why we can't ALWAYS try to reserve judgement on EVERYONE?  You never know what you might be missing out on.  I hope to be a testament to that.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:09:08 AM
At the risk of sounding like an asshat troll and having everyone hate me again might I ask why we can't ALWAYS try to reserve judgement on EVERYONE?  You never know what you might be missing out on.  I hope to be a testament to that.

It happens. We just get a large asshole percentage sometimes.

You wouldn't be the first to have a bad first impression and took a step back, and I hope you won't be the last.

Welcome.

There is no pool on the roof.

But there is one in the creepy basement.  :evil:

Don Coyote

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:02:30 AM

Very well, I've said it twice and I shall say it no more!  If I were to choose an option it would be the third.  However I feel like my University (this may be a problem specific to my university) is much too job-oriented.  Talking to some of the students (actually every single one I've met so far) you'd think this was a fucking vocational school.  Its just very frustrating.  I guess it may be a little early (have not yet finished my first year) to condemn the entire system, but the whole place seems to be very closed-minded and I hate that. 

As for the swaggering/high horse comments ... I can see how you might get that out of my posts.  As you all were quick to point out, I have no idea how this place works.  Can you blame me for causing a little Discord as I tried to figure out the unwritten rules of PD?

First when you get to 200 level courses things will start picking up. I have on 100 level course and 2 200 level courses this quarter and the 200's are much more engaging. Or if they don't you are taking the wrong courses for you, or have the wrong attitude towards them. Or maybe college isn't right for you. But yes condemning a system when you are in your first year of it rather short sighted and arrogant.

NewSpag

Also now that we all seem to be on speaking terms I have some actual questions (no, no, no I promise I'm not trolling this time)

Someone mentioned blackironprison.com but that seems to be down.  I have a vague idea from context, but no more.

I've heard the term pinealist thrown around in reference to trolls in a seemingly derogatory way.  But the PD says that we communicate with Eris through our pineal.  Explain?

Quote from: Guru Coyote on April 27, 2012, 06:13:31 AM

First when you get to 200 level courses things will start picking up. I have on 100 level course and 2 200 level courses this quarter and the 200's are much more engaging. Or if they don't you are taking the wrong courses for you, or have the wrong attitude towards them. Or maybe college isn't right for you. But yes condemning a system when you are in your first year of it rather short sighted and arrogant.

I actually fucking LOVE learning.  I just feel like I do more of it on my own.  And I got lucky enough to get into what is essentially a grad student class for undergrads in Information Studies .  Coincidentally that is how I found Eris, as one of the course readings was hosted on a Discordian site.  But you're right.  It was short sighted, and perhaps arrogant.  Also now that we're not just shitting on each other are there any other university students on this site?  I feel like you are all much older than me.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:18:34 AM
Also now that we all seem to be on speaking terms I have some actual questions (no, no, no I promise I'm not trolling this time)

Someone mentioned blackironprison.com but that seems to be down.  I have a vague idea from context, but no more.

I've heard the term pinealist thrown around in reference to trolls in a seemingly derogatory way.  But the PD says that we communicate with Eris through our pineal.  Explain?

I actually fucking LOVE learning.  I just feel like I do more of it on my own.  And I got lucky enough to get into what is essentially a grad student class for undergrads in Information Studies .  Coincidentally that is how I found Eris, as one of the course readings was hosted on a Discordian site.  But you're right.  It was short sighted, and perhaps arrogant.  Also now that we're not just shitting on each other are there any other university students on this site?  I feel like you are all much older than me.

The thing that you have to understand about our little corner of Discordia is that while we do have some use for the PD in its context, we bear in mind that it's a lot of memes relevant to the late 50s and the early 60s. Same thing with the Illuminatus Trilogy. Eat the wheat, fuck the chaff.

One of the things the BIP did was to frame the PD in the context of the 21st century, with clear 21st century speaking, rather than jokes from 50 years ago.

A Pinealist is a Discordian who clings to the original PD, and, dare I say, kinda misses the point. So it's all Gobble Gobble Turkey Curse and word salad, when there's more to it than that. A Pinealist is in it more for the gag. A Pinealist is the equivalent of a Pastafarian troll where non-pretentious atheism would suffice.

But then again, maybe I'm missing the point too. But that's how I understand it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Maybe a better way to put it is that a Pinealist sees Discordianism as it was, where as we see it as what it is and what it can be.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:09:08 AM

Because, in a general sense, reserving judgement isn't very conducive to survival.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Insanity on April 27, 2012, 06:18:34 AM

I'm a first-year student, and I think there are a couple-few others here. I am also much older than you are so that gives me a different perspective on the process. But there are several younger people here as well, including one or maybe two teenagers.