News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Things you HATE

Started by Richter, May 01, 2012, 02:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con-troll

Tv-shows brainwashing people to have unhealthy views on reality... Color me surprised.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

Al Qədic

Quote from: LMNO on January 28, 2019, 01:08:06 PM
Having never known about the existence of this show before, reading Al Qədic's summary was.... really fuckin weird.
It really did try to be better than all that. Honestly, it's easy to switch your brain off and not notice those glaring issues and just look at all the pretty colors and neat characters and excessive filler episodes. But because I do see those glaring issues (especially when they're given lots of attention by the plot), it can be hard to ignore.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

LMNO

I meant more the "unigender lesbian space rocks" part of it, though the race-coding and undeserved character redemption isn't cool at all.

Al Qədic

Quote from: LMNO on January 28, 2019, 06:14:22 PM
I meant more the "unigender lesbian space rocks" part of it
Yeah, that really is just the best way to describe the show in the beginning. Bunch'a fabulous space rocks and a chubby half-space rock 12 year old (who is kind of also his own space rock mother) fight space rock monsters and put them in bubbles in their beach house/space rock temple.
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

LMNO

Doktor Howl

I would say that what happens on a cartoon is somewhere down my list of priorities right now.
Molon Lube

Trivial

Race coding thing gets weird when you look at the racial make-up of the voice acting cast.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Trivial

I hate this fucking cold, going to be stuck inside all this week.
I hate tv weather people that ask me what model they should use.  They should know their area.
I hate Montana.  Nothing works for Montana.  Montana won't math.  Probably not Montana's fault, but it knows what it did.
I hate Alaska because it's warmer than here.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Trivial on January 28, 2019, 09:30:15 PM
I hate tv weather people that ask me what model they should use.  They should know their area.
I hate Montana.  Nothing works for Montana.  Montana won't math.  Probably not Montana's fault, but it knows what it did.

I'm in Saskatchewan.  Four days ago we were at -20 C.  Then there was a sudden low-pressure thing, and yesterday it was +3 with freezing rain and high wind.  Tonight's low is -31.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Trivial

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on January 28, 2019, 11:05:16 PM
Quote from: Trivial on January 28, 2019, 09:30:15 PM

I'm in Saskatchewan.  Four days ago we were at -20 C.  Then there was a sudden low-pressure thing, and yesterday it was +3 with freezing rain and high wind.  Tonight's low is -31.
-9 C here, Wednesday it'll be -23 C with a -48 C wind chill.  It's been a while since we've seen that.  In Wisconsin.

chaotic neutral observer

I hate:

Driving in winter.
People giving me orders.
Giving other people orders.
When people lose an argument on the internet, and they just fall silent instead of admitting defeat.
Potato bugs.
People who assert unquestioningly the rightness of their cause or beliefs.  Even when they're right.
Tim Hortons.
Country music.
Not remembering things.
The future.
Quiche.

Al Qədic

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on January 29, 2019, 12:25:18 AM
I hate:

Tim Hortons.
Country music.
Never had Tim Hortons, on account of being a filthy American, but what's wrong with them?
I agree on country music though.  I'll take Scots and their bagpipes before Rednecks and their..."love stories".
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,

Trivial

Quote from: LMNO on January 28, 2019, 06:14:22 PM
I meant more the "unigender lesbian space rocks" part of it, though the race-coding and undeserved character redemption isn't cool at all.

The make friends with enemies thing is the entire show really.  It's only partially a forgive the nazi's thing. They got them to not blow up the earth, or kill the main characters after realising they drove the one character that was part of their "family" to suicide, and then they cured some sick gems and fucked off to their own planet.  They have another season and a movie to see if that had any effect on them still being nazis or if they just figure that arc is closed.

The race coding issues, I think folks are looking for problems.  Sometimes you can over analyse a thing.  If you have problems with the fusion episodes you have problems with the main characters to begin with.  Which the one video person does.   

Also, these points will still make no sense because you know nothing about the show.  Maybe I'll do a let's pick apart a kid's show thread.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Al Qedic on January 29, 2019, 01:41:34 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on January 29, 2019, 12:25:18 AM
I hate:

Tim Hortons.
Country music.
Never had Tim Hortons, on account of being a filthy American, but what's wrong with them?
I agree on country music though.  I'll take Scots and their bagpipes before Rednecks and their..."love stories".

Tim Hortons is sort of a creeping pestilence, but with doughnuts.  They're everywhere, and they try to brand themselves as part of the Canadian identity.  I'm not much of a patriot, but I don't like being involuntarily assigned a corporate affiliation.  Franchises like this also have a tendency to suppress independent local coffee and tea shops (also see: Starbucks).

There was a fluffle about a year ago when Ontario raised their minimum wage, and Tim Hortons corrected for this by reducing employee benefits rather than adjusting prices.  It didn't help their popularity much.

I don't dislike their doughnuts, but their tea is oversteeped, and bitter.

I can't remember, is being counter-culture "in" or "out" this season?

Al Qədic

Quote from: Trivial on January 29, 2019, 03:05:30 AM
They got them to not blow up the earth, or kill the main characters after realising they drove the one character that was part of their "family" to suicide
It was only suicide as far as they were aware for thousands of years...(actually they thought it was the up-and-coming rebel leader [who happened to actually be her] killing her but whatevs, let's roll with it). What it actually was was that "family" member faking her death to go relax on the moist mud ball she once called a colony. Once the fleshy human reincarnation of that family member got involved in things, the Diamonds knew she didn't actually die, so the idea that she killed herself is moot. And I feel like there's an important difference between "being dead to people" and "actually being dead".
I think folks are looking for problems.  Sometimes you can over analyse a thing.  If you have problems with the fusion episodes you have problems with the main characters to begin with.
Alright, I can concede to that. I don't think every fusion or episode thereof is problematic (I quite like the bit where Peri tried fusing with Garnet so that she could understand fusion, and Garnet's nature as a "relationship", better), but when it's awkward, it's awkward...y'know? Sugilite's VA certainly didn't help. :kingmeh:
Maybe I'll do a let's pick apart a kid's show thread.
I would welcome that. Could be neat to pick apart some quality Children's Entertainment™
There is no reason to,
Still do it in private,