News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Things you HATE

Started by Richter, May 01, 2012, 02:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

He is now aiming his routine directly at the only audience willing to give jim the time of day.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Trivial on January 29, 2019, 03:05:30 AM
Quote from: LMNO on January 28, 2019, 06:14:22 PM
I meant more the "unigender lesbian space rocks" part of it, though the race-coding and undeserved character redemption isn't cool at all.

The make friends with enemies thing is the entire show really.  It's only partially a forgive the nazi's thing. They got them to not blow up the earth, or kill the main characters after realising they drove the one character that was part of their "family" to suicide, and then they cured some sick gems and fucked off to their own planet.  They have another season and a movie to see if that had any effect on them still being nazis or if they just figure that arc is closed.

The race coding issues, I think folks are looking for problems.  Sometimes you can over analyse a thing.  If you have problems with the fusion episodes you have problems with the main characters to begin with.  Which the one video person does.   

Also, these points will still make no sense because you know nothing about the show.  Maybe I'll do a let's pick apart a kid's show thread.
yea, can we do that? Cuz on the one hand, I dont want to derail this thread with my SU moop, but on the other hand,  I HAVE MOOP AND IT DEMANDS RELEASE :argh!:
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Al Qədic

I hate the equivalence between the ramifications of the internet age and the proclivities of the Millennial generation. Yes, we stare at our phones more often, yes we make fewer friends on average nowadays compared to Boomers and the like in their youth, and yes we "ruin" entire corporations that have been cultural mainstays for generation (diamonds, homeowning, etc.).

But, to the people who honestly believe that...do you realize how much good the internet does? How much we can learn from other people, and other cultures, in the modern day? Yeah, internet anonymity can be a hurdle, there will always be trolls and blackhats ready to make your day worse, but we can learn entire languages from the comfort of our bedrooms with the help of a lump of metal and plastic, talking to someone on the other side of the world. That's amazing! We don't spend as much time face-to-face with said person teaching us their mother tongue, but I think that's a smaller price to pay, compared to, say, going across the world (or even just the country) to meet with the people who can teach you what you want to learn.

Back to the "ruining businesses" complaint; ignoring the absurd costs of some things, which is of course a big factor in us not buying it, we "stupid spoiled kids" learn, thanks to that newfangled internet thing, that the idea of spending your life's savings on a rock that isn't even that rare is kind of absurd, and the decades of DeBeers Co. diamond propaganda doesn't make the idea look any better. We're not not buying diamonds because we think we're better than all that, we're not buying diamonds because we like to have the money we need to scrape by in life.

I would address all this point by point, but I simply don't have as much foreknowledge as I'd like to. So I'll end this blurb by paraphrasing something I brought up to my team management class professor the other day, where this very topic came up; "It feels as if there's a false equivalence between the negatives of technology and the negatives of Millennials. It's like the Boomers, who helped make the internet into what it is, reacted to it in its infancy, saying 'pfff, this probably won't catch on', and proceeded to be baffled once it, and the generation that has grown up with it, actually caught on."
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.