Parallels of Warnock's dilemma and pd meta discussions

Started by The Johnny, May 02, 2012, 07:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

http://metatalk.metafilter.com/9429/Warnocks-Dilemma

this is not intented as being snide or whatever, but i was surfing wikipedia on an unrelated interest and ran into warnocks dilemma and an external link

i just find it interesting on how a given past situation has been experienced by other forums
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Forsooth

for me, i understand the post(s) and like them, but i don't have anything additional to contribute to it

and you can't just put mittens of everything

President Television

Usually, I have something to say but it's already been said by someone else. For me to post would be redundant.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like to say "nice post" if nothing else. SOME feedback to show that I read and enjoyed it, even if I don't have commentary to add, or lack the time to add it. I also appreciate it when other people comment or mittens a post, because if I read it earlier and it's in my newscan later that day, I may have more to add after having mulled it over for a while.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

This hits a bit of a nerve.  I know I get a little butthurt when I write a rant or a story, and watch it go plonk off the front page with a few dozen views and maybe one comment or two.  The impression that conveys is that whatever I wrote isn't really worth anyone's time.

I do understand the concerns people have written above.  I can only speak for myself, of course, but I don't want mittens or praise so much as participation.  A conversation, maybe.  We used to riff off of each other like mad bastards, and now it often feels like blogging. 
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2012, 04:27:18 PM
This hits a bit of a nerve.  I know I get a little butthurt when I write a rant or a story, and watch it go plonk off the front page with a few dozen views and maybe one comment or two.  The impression that conveys is that whatever I wrote isn't really worth anyone's time.

I do understand the concerns people have written above.  I can only speak for myself, of course, but I don't want mittens or praise so much as participation.  A conversation, maybe.  We used to riff off of each other like mad bastards, and now it often feels like blogging.

Speaking of riffing, which one was the book depository thread that got riffed on a bit?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 02, 2012, 04:29:34 PM

Speaking of riffing, which one was the book depository thread that got riffed on a bit?

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32230.0.html
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 02, 2012, 04:35:44 PM
Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 02, 2012, 04:29:34 PM

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,32230.0.html

Thanks, Dok
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Johnny

i myself lately have enjoyed participating in aneristic illusions as of late, after a grueling 3 months of no computer and schoolwork

i have sometimes spent somewhat of an effort translating a big essay that was in spanish and changing the presentation format, and after 7 mittens and 50 views it sinks like the concordia

sure i feel some kind of silent undirected rage, but i know its mostly my own fault for sharing something i knew probably wasnt a major interest of others... then it feels weird when a troll thread gets 50 pages, but i know its easier to bash on a troll or "you are wrong" mode cz of all the emotional engagemnet etc
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Telarus

It's like we're trying to project the movie onto the scrap-filled editing room floor.....
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Johnny

Quote from: Telarus on May 02, 2012, 07:50:35 PM
It's like we're trying to project the movie onto the scrap-filled editing room floor.....

... at the wrong place under bad conditions? i dont think so

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Telarus on May 02, 2012, 07:50:35 PM

No, it's more like we're projecting the film in the theater, but the theater's empty except for 6 hyperactive guys with LED flashlights.
Molon Lube