News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Citizen Science

Started by Freeky, May 04, 2012, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_science

http://www.scientificamerican.com/citizen-science/
www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2012/3433.html

I just heard about this concept during a survey.  I think this is pretty awesome, and normal people can do menial tasks like look at shit all day long.

What do you scientist spags think?  Have you guys heard of this?  WHY DOES NOBODY TELL ME THESE THINGS?

Reginald Ret

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it's pretty cool, actually.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

i think it's pretty cool when people do science. Generally, we just call them 'scientists', paid or unpaid. I see no reason to add a "citizen" qualifier to that. That, and the term "professional amateur" have always seemed condescending to me.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Johnny

Yeah, the label is kind of implying that its a lower quality way of making science; as if being a "real scientists" excludes someone from the possiblity of using methodologies in an incorrect way.

On the other hand, im not sure how this particular type of participation can be labelled without it being demeaning.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

well i supposed as wikipedia says ""public participation in scientific research."

or maybe non-profit collective science?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

It's a series of projects under one big project name, not a term used to denote lower quality science. 

I like the name, personally, because it sounds like community service, or something equally not hard that normal people can do.*

*This is speaking as a person who does not yet have any training in the scientific method, okay?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on May 05, 2012, 04:01:29 AM

well i supposed as wikipedia says ""public participation in scientific research."

or maybe non-profit collective science?

"Hobbyists"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on May 05, 2012, 02:45:31 AM
i think it's pretty cool when people do science. Generally, we just call them 'scientists', paid or unpaid. I see no reason to add a "citizen" qualifier to that. That, and the term "professional amateur" have always seemed condescending to me.

"Citizen scientist" doesn't sound as bad as "professional amateur" or "hobbyist" to me.  I do like the conception of science & data collection as a civic duty, though.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

"Citizen scientist" sounds a lot better than "unpaid, untrained, unqualified lab technician".

Not that it really requires a degree to count things. I see this as a kind of Mechanical Turk for menial data collection tasks.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

"Minions"

"Radiation sponges"

"Spare parts"

"Test subjects"

"Unwitting accomplices"

"Feedstock"
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Freeky

The Johnny

-B.F. Skinner