News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Timeline of the Far Future.

Started by Kai, May 06, 2012, 03:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I read the timeline of the near future, and discovered a startling omission:  in the 2180s, there is no mention of Commander Shepard successfully punching, kicking and electrocuting every single species in the galaxy.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on May 06, 2012, 04:48:45 AM
Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 06, 2012, 03:40:23 AM
Cant see link on phone but yeah that sort of stuff messes you up. 600 million is around the time that earth starts becoming uninhabitable right? Something like not enough carbon dioxide for plant life to survive? The dark era of the universe messes with my head.

Yeah. It is fucking with me, major. I mean, 600 million years is how long it's been since the Cambrian, more or less.

Shit. I'm just going to stop thinking about it. If humans last that long, I suspect we will have future tech to the level of moving stars, or cloning planets, or transporting biospheres to new worlds.

I just find it strange that the /beginnings/ stuff, which is also about a sense of space and deep time and huge scale, and terrifies a great deal of people, and that stuff is EXPANSIVE for me. It's the stuff on that page that gets me.

Put in proper terms, we have 300 times more future than we as a species has as a past.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on May 06, 2012, 03:10:10 AM
Do not read unless you want to be a in a screwed up headspace. I, personally, made a mistake in clicking.

Only other comment: 600 million years, that's it? ;_;
That sounds optimistic. I'm sure we can accelerate that a bit.

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 06, 2012, 10:58:49 PM
Cant see link on phone but yeah that sort of stuff messes you up. 600 million is around the time that earth starts becoming uninhabitable right? Something like not enough carbon dioxide for plant life to survive? The dark era of the universe messes with my head.

Yeah. It is fucking with me, major. I mean, 600 million years is how long it's been since the Cambrian, more or less.

Shit. I'm just going to stop thinking about it. If humans last that long, I suspect we will have future tech to the level of moving stars, or cloning planets, or transporting biospheres to new worlds.

I just find it strange that the /beginnings/ stuff, which is also about a sense of space and deep time and huge scale, and terrifies a great deal of people, and that stuff is EXPANSIVE for me. It's the stuff on that page that gets me.

Put in proper terms, we have 300 times more future than we as a species has as a past.

That's pretty cool. I wonder if our descendants will look like us? I mean, technically they might not even be the same species.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on May 07, 2012, 01:32:46 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 06, 2012, 10:58:49 PM

That's pretty cool. I wonder if our descendants will look like us? I mean, technically they might not even be the same species.

I'm reasonably certain they'll look similar, but not the same.

Years and years ago, back when I was just a little girl, the Chicago Tribune ran an article called "Lucy in the Subway With Hominids", and discussed what would happen as you put more and more distant ancestors in a subway car with commuters.  Cromagnon man and Neandrathals wouldn't raise any fuss, as their looks (we believe) are within the norms for modern humans.  By the time you get back to Lucy, people are screaming and running into another car.

I like the idea that future humans, digging up our remains, will consider us monstrous, and I like the idea that almost everything they will come to believe about us will be utterly, completely wrong.   
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Maybe they'll find a frozen McDonald's. Like a bunch of Icemen. Or rather, mastodons.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 07, 2012, 07:40:08 AM
Maybe they'll find a frozen McDonald's. Like a bunch of Icemen. Or rather, mastodons.

The fries will still be "edible."

But not nearly as healthy for them as several thousands of years old Egyptian tomb honey.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on May 06, 2012, 03:10:10 AM
Do not read unless you want to be a in a screwed up headspace. I, personally, made a mistake in clicking.

Only other comment: 600 million years, that's it? ;_;

No way, I love this stuff.  I love shows like The Universe, and Through the Wormhole, where they show all of the stuff that's going to happen a long time from now that is inconsequential to us because we'll all be extinct or whatever.  Of course, I always figure into all of the stuff the very probable possibility that it's all bullshit and what actually will happen will be completely different. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.