News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Maurice Sendak Dead.

Started by Freeky, May 08, 2012, 02:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

OK, I'll be the first (and maybe only) one to say it:

Where The Wild Things Are sucked.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on May 08, 2012, 04:21:39 PM

That's a pretty strong sentiment to have about a picture book... now, I have read a few picture books that I felt that way about, but I thought both the storyline and the illustrations in Where the Wild Things Are were pretty excellent. What's your critique?

Also, Maurice Sendak. :(
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Never read nor saw the movie.

The only thing I'm familiar with is his work on the "Little Bear" series, which I do like as a parent.  It definitely promotes the virtue of imagination.  Granted, he was an illustrator and didn't actually write any of those stories. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Nigel on May 08, 2012, 04:36:45 PM
That's a pretty strong sentiment to have about a picture book...

:lulz: Fucking NEWSFEED!
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

East Coast Hustle

That's a pretty strong sentiment to have about a picture book... now, I have read a few picture books that I felt that way about, but I thought both the storyline and the illustrations in Where the Wild Things Are were pretty excellent. What's your critique?

I love the illustrations.

but the story, well, to me it's basically about a brat having a successful tantrum.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH THE ILLUSTRATIONS IN THE NUTCRACKER WERE SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Placid Dingo

I have a phenomonal hardcover book at home that I got cheap. The Life and Art of Maurice Sednak. He was a fascinating, sometimes morbid figure, who liked to fuck with people. He did a lot of work on Opera scenery in fact, and I think was rejected for taking it to the wall with some Shakespeare design that got as weirdly sexual as the plays tend to get. (Found the quote)

QuoteFor the first of these [Shakespearian play CDs], A Midsummer Nights Dream, Sednak's drawing shows a gross ass-headed, donkey dicked Bottom nuzzling Titania. The submission was greeted with silence (one would imagine stunned silence). Offers to illustrate the rest of Shakespeare were not forthcoming.

Some of his picture books got very dark, some were very playful, but they always represented a not entirely safe fantasy world for kids. His work with adult projects really emphasized his equally keen eye for both the absurd and the tragic.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on May 09, 2012, 06:14:55 AM

but the story, well, to me it's basically about a brat having a successful tantrum.

I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes, it's about a kid having a tantrum, but it's very specifically about a kid having a tantrum and getting himself back from it. He doesn't get to enjoy the benefits of society until he rejects the unruly behavior, and that's a decision he has to make on his own. You can't force a kid out of that mental space, but having a story like this helps give them a way to get themselves out.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on May 09, 2012, 12:39:51 PM

I have to disagree with you on that one. Yes, it's about a kid having a tantrum, but it's very specifically about a kid having a tantrum and getting himself back from it. He doesn't get to enjoy the benefits of society until he rejects the unruly behavior, and that's a decision he has to make on his own. You can't force a kid out of that mental space, but having a story like this helps give them a way to get themselves out.

This.

I am not sure what's "successful" about his tantrum. It's not like a kid who has a tantrum is rejected from his family forever.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 03:41:21 PM

This.

I am not sure what's "successful" about his tantrum. It's not like a kid who has a tantrum is rejected from his family forever.

And that's what is wrong with America today.  We coddle them.  On the first tantrum, they should get a warning.  On the second, sell the little bastards to a medical research firm.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 03:59:18 PM
Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 03:41:21 PM

This.

And that's what is wrong with America today.  We coddle them.  On the first tantrum, they should get a warning.  On the second, sell the little bastards to a medical research firm.

:lulz: