News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

A Complaint About PD and all of You People

Started by Doktor Howl, May 09, 2012, 04:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 04:37:31 PM
Quote from: Faust on May 09, 2012, 04:34:19 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 04:30:44 PM

And come to think of it, I'd rather deal with Facebook for Weirdos than having every user VIEWING THE INDEX OF PRINCIPIA DISCORDIA for days at a time.

you know it says that for up to 20 minutes after someone logs off right? That thing isn't accurate and hasn't been since we switched from smf 1 to 2.

Yeah.  But does it matter if a few of them are AFK?  Half the time, they're moving around, and still just VIEWING.  Having 30 people here doing nothing is the same as having nobody here at all.

But that's not the point.  The point is, if we start dictating - or just pressuring people - what content is or is not worthy, then we're going to have a hell of a lot LESS traffic, and that translates out to me and Enki posting to ourselves.

Yeah, I've noticed that a common sentiment among noobs has been intimidation about whether their posts are "worthy". A lot of people have said that they would post, but didn't feel like they had anything "good enough" to say.

Fuckit, man. I think that this whole pressure/intimidation thing needs to SHUTUP.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mean, if someone posts something that's just stupid, it'll get picked apart and criticized, but vetting it for "content value" just seems dumb. It runs the risk of turning into content elitism, and that makes even people who do post awesome stuff more leery to post, because what if they fail? what if it's less good than usual, and it lowers them in everyone's estimation?

Sure, it sounds silly, but I'm pretty sure it's happening.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 04:40:27 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that a common sentiment among noobs has been intimidation about whether their posts are "worthy". A lot of people have said that they would post, but didn't feel like they had anything "good enough" to say.

Fuckit, man. I think that this whole pressure/intimidation thing needs to SHUTUP.

I have no sympathy for people who feel pressured.  This whole century, all over the world, is a place where you SHUT UP.  As for me, my mama told me "When the rock hits you, holler!"  She did NOT say "When the rock hits you, holler if you have something pithy to say.

The very idea that you shouldn't lose your shit or rant your guts up because you don't feel that it would be "good enough" is a sign of Pink conditioning having its effect.  Rants are like WOMPs: quality means NOTHING!  It's all about the WRATH.

And if someone doesn't like what you posted, kick 'em in the nads.  IN THA NADS!

This is not a graduate level English course.  This is not a place you post when you've finally written War and Peace.  This is a Goddamn Fighting Jesus Up In Your Shit DISCORDIAN BOARD, and there's no fucking grading system.  RAGE OUT OR DIE, AND WHEN YOU FEEL THE NEED TO SHUT UP, KILL ME!

ETA:  Not just ranting, either.  I want you to FURIOUSLY tell me how your day was, if that's all you have to say.  JUST FUCKING SAY IT.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

And come to think of it, I'd rather deal with Facebook for Weirdos than having every user VIEWING THE INDEX OF PRINCIPIA DISCORDIA for days at a time.

you know it says that for up to 20 minutes after someone logs off right? That thing isn't accurate and hasn't been since we switched from smf 1 to 2.

Yeah.  But does it matter if a few of them are AFK?  Half the time, they're moving around, and still just VIEWING.  Having 30 people here doing nothing is the same as having nobody here at all.

But that's not the point.  The point is, if we start dictating - or just pressuring people - what content is or is not worthy, then we're going to have a hell of a lot LESS traffic, and that translates out to me and Enki posting to ourselves.

I felt that way my first couple of months here, and then I thought, eh fuck it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 04:43:27 PM
I mean, if someone posts something that's just stupid, it'll get picked apart and criticized, but vetting it for "content value" just seems dumb. It runs the risk of turning into content elitism, and that makes even people who do post awesome stuff more leery to post, because what if they fail? what if it's less good than usual, and it lowers them in everyone's estimation?

Sure, it sounds silly, but I'm pretty sure it's happening.

Actually, that is pretty much how I have felt, recently, I am by no means a massive Producer Of Content, and home issues and trying to get back into work are taking up my time. That and I seem to have been sucked into the Feminist Blogosphere, which may or may not be turning me into a Angry Harpy.  Or, to be more fair, I find the carping about Content BORING, and I wanna know how the hell you Glorious Faggots are doing.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 09, 2012, 04:38:07 PM
Quote from: FUCK OFF on May 09, 2012, 04:36:36 PM
Quote from: Faust on May 09, 2012, 04:26:30 PM
Just playing devils advocate. Personally I like a thread that can act as a personal stories camp. It helps concentrate it all in one place so I can ignore that thread and sell it to advertising research companies.

If a fluff thread turns PD into Facebook, then Zuckerberg owes you royalties.  Just saying.

This ain't a content sweatshop for people who couldn't cover their book advances and now have to write Romance Novels under the name Rosemary Titsworth.

:lulz:

Also, I'll add a vote in favor of naming the next fluff-ghetto thread Richard Nixon's Festering Corpse.

I've been demanding that name for every board I've regged at since 2005.  A few of them even did it.

I think that was also the name of the POEE board for a while too, IIRC.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 09, 2012, 04:49:17 PM

I felt that way my first couple of months here, and then I thought, eh fuck it.

I did too, and then I got hammered and HolinessTM leaked out everywhere.

Nephew Twiddleton

Actually it was ripping on weltburger for me. I had made a few posts here and there until the whole womp fiasco. Then i was known and noted and everyone knew what i looked like within a day.

navkat

UNSOLICITED OPINION:

Not to talk back to any Adults on here but it occurs to me that while the Adults are entitled to have their opinions, quirks, rages and personality flaws that make everyone unique run on cruise-control around here, others are also entitled to let their opinions and shit run the same way...the sum of which is dissent, disc(h)ord and shit no one wants to put up with.

People bitching about your threads is par for the course...just like people counter-bitching about the bitching is as well.

If you can dish it out but can't take it, YOU HAVE 100% RIGHT TO COMPLAIN.

Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn. I really should be seen and not heard, I know.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on May 09, 2012, 06:45:19 PM
Sorry if I'm speaking out of turn. I really should be seen and not heard, I know.

After reading that, I wish admins could use the ignore feature.

Dok,
Is sick & tired of the fucking drama, especially when it gets in the way of the funny.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Shit.  Now my writing zone is fucked.

THANKS FOR CLINGING TO YOUR ASS BURN AND HANDING IT BACK OUT TO EVERYONE, NAVKAT!

I FUCKING APPRECIATE IT! 
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

I think i missed something. But either way dok theres always the letter of complaint thread. Pick a target and go to town. Also have you hassled the very uncharacteristically jew hating anarchist today?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 09, 2012, 06:59:08 PM
I think i missed something. But either way dok theres always the letter of complaint thread. Pick a target and go to town. Also have you hassled the very uncharacteristically jew hating anarchist today?

What you missed is Navkat turning into Khara, apparently, or at least doing a very good imitation.  Now, if anyone has any fun, she'll make sure to let you know that she's still asshurt.  She must be a fucking BLAST at parties.

And what Jew-hating anarchist?  Is that in DECI4's thread?
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Bruce Twillis on May 09, 2012, 07:13:41 PM
No your new coworker.

Oh, him?  No, he got fired last night.  Which makes me sad.
Molon Lube