News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Have You Heard About Fukushima?

Started by Comedentis of the Fructum, May 12, 2012, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 21, 2012, 08:23:40 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 21, 2012, 06:08:24 PMIt may be the worst accident in the history of Science IMHO.

I think all of Russia and most of Eastern Europe would probably disagree with you.

Only because Fukushima's fallout probably ended up in the ocean (which is also bad, but there's no people there).

I was 6 years old when Chernobyl happened, I vaguely remember we shouldn't eat certain vegetables or drink cow's milk for a while (weeks?) and wild mushrooms were discouraged for at least 5-10 years afterwards (because the mycelium is mostly on the surface they grow on and therefore absorbs a lot of radioactive dust).

I wouldn't have a problem saying Fukushima is at least on the same order of magnitude. But it's a bit more that, for some reason, we won't realize the full extent of contamination until a few years.

And some reason is of course that the Powers That Be have gotten a lot better in controlling/using mass-media communication than they did in 1986.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

There's also the part where Chernobyl released 10 times as much radioactive material into the atmosphere as Fukushima did. It's easy for people who were very young or not alive in 1986 to not realize the scope of that catastrophe, but unless there are further criticality events at Fukushima I don't see any possible way that it even comes close to Chernobyl.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 22, 2012, 06:29:02 PM
There's also the part where Chernobyl released 10 times as much radioactive material into the atmosphere as Fukushima did. It's easy for people who were very young or not alive in 1986 to not realize the scope of that catastrophe, but unless there are further criticality events at Fukushima I don't see any possible way that it even comes close to Chernobyl.

Yep.  We had to go inside whenever the cloud passed over.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

minuspace

Not to force the point, however, Chernobyl was before we figured out how to sell options on guilt.  Now, we excuse the production of weapons grade plutonium because it can be "recycled" into fast reactor (or thermal with the right permits) fuel.  Plutonium is actually quite a bit more problematic for humans than say cesium, or even uranium.  If reactor 4 breached, we would have a problem that we don't yet fully understand given how studies on the effects of plutonium usually involve scenarios where the isotopes have been subject to thermonuclear reaction, instead of simple atmospheric dispersion.   Reactors should not be allowed to run on plutonium?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on June 22, 2012, 08:23:52 PM
Not to force the point, however, Chernobyl was before we figured out how to sell options on guilt.  Now, we excuse the production of weapons grade plutonium because it can be "recycled" into fast reactor (or thermal with the right permits) fuel.  Plutonium is actually quite a bit more problematic for humans than say cesium, or even uranium.  If reactor 4 breached, we would have a problem that we don't yet fully understand given how studies on the effects of plutonium usually involve scenarios where the isotopes have been subject to thermonuclear reaction, instead of simple atmospheric dispersion.   Reactors should not be allowed to run on plutonium?

Forcing what point?  This wasn't the worst disaster.  That's all there is to it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

minuspace

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2012, 08:36:42 PM

Forcing what point?  This wasn't the worst disaster.  That's all there is to it.

Chernobyl did not use MOX, Fukushima did.  Therefore, it is still too early to draw a comparison, I think.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LuciferX on June 22, 2012, 08:52:40 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2012, 08:36:42 PM

Chernobyl did not use MOX, Fukushima did.  Therefore, it is still too early to draw a comparison, I think.

Jesus H Christ.  Whatever.  Enjoy digging your heels in, Sparky.

East Coast Hustle

The invasion of Panama was actually just as costly to America's military as the Vietnam War. I mean, there were alot less lives lost but the couple guys who got shot were shot with WAY bigger bullets.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

It appears that I did not really use a lot of thought writing that previous post yesterday at 4am. In other circumstances I would probably have wiki'd some more details about either one.

I thought the thing with Fukushima was that it's going to keep on getting worse for a while first--but it's 4am again (really WTF, TIME?) so don't mind me. Fuck it's even hard enough to write a coherent post about that you guys shouldn't pay attention to these incoherent posts
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Lenin McCarthy

Do you know that Fukushima probably isn't dangerous because nuclear power isn't dangerous because thorium fusion nuclear power isn't dangerous, even though that hasn't really been developed yet and Fukushima isn't thorium-driven. But anyways, nuclear power isn't that dangerous really.

At least that's what the nuclear power advocates I know say.

SRLSLY, it isn't dangerous at all, it's just, like, don't worry. It'll sort itself out after a while (that's probably true, though. A few thousand years only).

East Coast Hustle

I'd say Fukushima probably isn't dangerous because I'm unlikely to ever go to Japan. :lulz:

minuspace

Quote from: Lenin/McCarthy on June 23, 2012, 04:41:13 AM
Do you know that Fukushima probably isn't dangerous because nuclear power isn't dangerous because thorium fusion nuclear power isn't dangerous, even though Fukushima isn't thorium-driven. But ...

Let me clarify.  Thorium fusion has not been invented because that makes no sense...

Thorium is not suitable for fusion.

Thorium can be used in MOX

Fukushima was MOX driven

Therefore?

Cain

Fukishima will be the end of all vertebrate life on the planet.

East Coast Hustle

Fukushima is the cancer that's killing PD.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The bottom line right now is that we actually don't know the scope of the Fukushima disaster, and probably will not know for years.

I know that the West coast of the US has experienced elevated radiation levels from Fukushima for several months. That data is not officially available anywhere, and that in combination is not a very good sign.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."