News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Im sure this has been asked a billion times but....

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, May 18, 2012, 07:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

And i may have asked this myself but i felt like starting a new thread.

What do you do to combat writers block? I dont have much trouble with riffs but lyrics are a different issue. Overthinking it probably. But id like to have a few new songs ready by october so i dont get sick of what the band has now. Im thinking of just writing random lines down every day and see if i can flesh them out meanwhile using the residents' method of decomposition to get the juices otherwise flowing. Thoughts?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I combat writer's block by not believing in it. I believe I am a procrastinating, unmotivated slacker and I work to combat those issues, instead. If, on the rare occasion it is an inspiration issue, I start by writing what it is that I want. And then I refine it from there until it is what I want.

It starts something like "I need a demon and an angel to fight over an apple pie in a gristly and ghastly fashion but the pie comes out perfectly whole and neither of them win it in the end."

And then I write the scenery. The background, why are they fighting over the pie. I write dialog. And the fight part. While trying to keep track of the pie. Then I start whittling it down and changing the words up until the poetry comes out.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Danny Muffin

When it comes to song lyrics, I usually jam on the music while I try out some ideas for the phrasing and melody of the vocals. Once something starts to fit musically, words and phrases start to pop into place. I usually do this untill I've got about 50:50 actual lyrics to filler then I sit down and finish writing/revising them.

That's probably not terribly useful, but it works for me.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

the dreadful hours

Nephew Twiddleton

I always suspected whn and dreadful were the same. Also what is dreadfuls avatar?

Juana

I put the project down for a little while and focus on something else or I go outside for a couple hours.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Triple Zero

I always thought it was a fish, but it's not.

How about Oblique Strategies? :) You can also use a Tarot deck for nearly the same purposes btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Q. G. Pennyworth

Alcohol and sleep deprivation.

Or did you want good solutions?

Nephew Twiddleton

:lulz: heres what alcohol and sleep deprivation does to my inspiration. Alright im going to write a song. Right after i have another beer and let my attention wander to something else entirely. Repeat.

Luna

Pick a theme...  What are you trying to say?  Just "gimme something new" isn't going to kick your creativity in the junk...  What are you trying to evoke?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

AFK

Quote from: Chronicles of Twiddick on May 18, 2012, 08:15:04 PM
I always suspected whn and dreadful were the same. Also what is dreadfuls avatar?

I always thought it was a fish too, I think it might be an owl, I dunno, but its something dead and dreadful.

But seriously, the writer's block thing sucks.  And truthfully, as far as PD goes, sometimes getting into the tdh persona does help me get the writing juices flowing.  Other times, Ive just started scrawling shit on paper.

Scrawling Shit would be a good band name.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.