News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Any of you spags ever raised an orphaned wild mouse before?

Started by East Coast Hustle, May 29, 2012, 09:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

I was doing some side work on my day off (from the bartending job I took for a month until we go back out to sea) cleaning out a storage unit and I disturbed a nest. Momma ran off with babies still hanging off her nipples. I found one baby still in the box the nest was in, alive and unharmed. It's got fur, eyes are still mostly closed but starting to blink open a little. I think they'll be open by tonight or tomorrow morning. So it's not a newborn, but it still needs a couple weeks of care before it's ready to be let go in the woods. I've done the appropriate internet research, but despite how many pet rodents I've had I've never had to nurse a baby myself. Anybody ever done this with a mouse or rat before and have any advice (besides the obvious jokes involving my nipples)?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Sorry, dude. All I got are jokes about your nipples.

Hope things work out.

Cain

Er...if you put in the freezer, you can save it for when you raised an orphaned wild snake.

That's about the extent of my experience, sorry.

Nephew Twiddleton

It probably doesnt bode well for the mouse. If its eyes havent opened yet it hasnt really been able to learn much from its mother. You could perhaps feed it from a bottle but i dont know where youd get a rubber nipple the appropriate size and im not sure of the difference of mouse milk and larger mammals. I havent raised wild mice before- only pet store mice who had a litter. However since youve had pet rodents before you know that theyre curious and adaptable creatures. It may eat and drink what you give it out of necessity. The bright side is that if you decide to keep it it will already consider you a friend provided it survives. Good luck man.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

If you can't find a proper bottle/dropper/whatever, twist a cotton handkerchief or cheesecloth and dip it in whatever mouse formula you can come up with, that could be small enough.
You probably saw this one already, it says to use kitten formula. http://www.thefunmouse.com/info/orphanedmice.cfm

Good luck.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

I knew a guy who tried to raise an orphaned wild mouse before, it only ended in tears.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Reverend What's-His-Name? on May 30, 2012, 12:18:03 AM
I knew a guy who tried to raise an orphaned wild mouse before, it only ended in tears.

I figured it would end in a tail...
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Mice are pretty fragile creatures too. You can actually kill them with fear- they handle accumulated stress very poorly.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

ECH,

If you had found it earlier, it probably wouldn't make it. Once you get to fur and eyes open, you're in pretty good shape. Try feeding it with kitten formula from an eye dropper. I'm not sure, but you may also need to stimulate it to urinate and defecate, not sure. Once tried to do this with a mouse litter before the fur stage, and as said above, it only ended in tears. But I learned quite a bit in the process.

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Wyldkat

Kitten formula works, so does goat's milk (for most orphaned animals, actually).  If you don't have an eye dropper, you can make a q-tip very wet and dribble it in, but be careful it doesn't catch any of the fluff in it's mouth.  Do not use cow's milk.  Try not to feed it on its back like you would a baby, but rather tummy town.  They tend to aspirate if you do it the other way.  It is probably almost old enough to drink from a small animal bottle.  Since the eyes are almost open it should be urinating/defecating on its own, but if you don't see signs of this, massage its bottom with a warm damp rag.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 30, 2012, 12:54:53 AM
Kitten formula works, so does goat's milk (for most orphaned animals, actually).  If you don't have an eye dropper, you can make a q-tip very wet and dribble it in, but be careful it doesn't catch any of the fluff in it's mouth.  Do not use cow's milk.  Try not to feed it on its back like you would a baby, but rather tummy town.  They tend to aspirate if you do it the other way.  It is probably almost old enough to drink from a small animal bottle.  Since the eyes are almost open it should be urinating/defecating on its own, but if you don't see signs of this, massage its bottom with a warm damp rag.

Oh, look.  BH and Wyldkat are back.

How nice.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Their board wherever it is must be dead

Good luck with the mouse ECH.

Welcome back to life, Roger.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on May 30, 2012, 01:43:31 AM

Seems to be a theme, right?  TCC, TSC, sooper secrut bord.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 30, 2012, 01:45:57 AM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on May 30, 2012, 01:43:31 AM

Seems to be a theme, right?  TCC, TSC, sooper secrut bord.

Yep, but that's the internet paganism for you.