News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Robert Bly - The Mythopoetic Men's Movement

Started by Bu🤠ns, May 30, 2012, 03:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 30, 2012, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on May 30, 2012, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 30, 2012, 08:23:34 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on May 30, 2012, 08:19:38 PM
the perfect cure for "society won't let me be manly enough"...
systemic collapse and regression to a shitty past that we had one time clawed our way out of.

Fuck that.  Let Bly's fuckers move to the Congo if that's their problem.  They will soon learn about "manliness".  I want painless dentistry more than I want to have my manhood validated.  I already know WHAT I am.  If they don't, that's their fucking problem.
exactly.
we should enjoy being pansies while we can.

Absolutely.

If you insist on "civilized" equal to being a pansy.

I don't.  Pretty sure you don't, either.  Or you wouldn't be here, you'd be on some teabagger Illinois board, endlessly shouting how much you hate Obama and Mexicans.

yeah. i was just being flip.
hell, the perfect end goal is a world of plenty and leisure, right? how macho will we be at that point?  We'll be like the Eloi or the Brave Londoners of 632 A.F. (hopefully a little more empathetic of our fellows than the former, i guess)

but i don't see that as likely.  we're at a high water mark now.

Burns, i didn't mean to dismiss the concern altogether... it is an issue in my opinion.  i've often thought of what rites of passage would have done me well growing up, and how to see that i can arrange for my sons to benefit from them.

i was just pointing out that it's probably a luxurious problem to face, and we may not have to worry about it in a generation or two (maybe less) due to a harsher reality forcing us into a continuous test of manhood.
i think i was being rudely flip, and apologize for that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Just before my son went off to the Marines, a few other veterans and I got him FUCKED UP, as was done to me and my father and so on.

The military itself RELIES on tradition, ritual, and ceremony.  I think that's why it's so effective in this regard.

However, I'm gonna restate my earlier assertion that this should never be mandatory in any way, as forcing this sort of shit on people is counterproductive as hell, and morally repugnant.  You can't force people to grow up.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The Mythopoetic Men's Movement was probably a fancy version of a deer lease, anyway. A chance for the guys to get away from their wives and bosses and get shitfaced.

At least I hope so, because the thought of an overweight cubicle drone with a sock tan hopping around and banging a drum SOBER is truly disturbing.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Elder Iptuous

oh jesus, yeah.  :|

oh hey.  just thought i'd mention the bullet ant mittens of the Satere-Mawe.
there's not enough opportunity to mention those things.

most of the rites of passage seem to be about overcoming fear and/or pain.
i don't know that anybody has said as such...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 30, 2012, 09:19:36 PM
The Mythopoetic Men's Movement was probably a fancy version of a deer lease, anyway. A chance for the guys to get away from their wives and bosses and get shitfaced.

At least I hope so, because the thought of an overweight cubicle drone with a sock tan hopping around and banging a drum SOBER is truly disturbing.

:dream:

Juana

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 30, 2012, 08:32:39 PM
systemic collapse and regression to a shitty past that we had one time clawed our way out of.

Fuck that.  Let Bly's fuckers move to the Congo if that's their problem.  They will soon learn about "manliness".  I want painless dentistry more than I want to have my manhood validated.  I already know WHAT I am.  If they don't, that's their fucking problem.

That's it.  That's what I think is important.  I'm not really concerned with rituals, but what does concern me is seeing my fellow men walk about the world with their tail between their legs.  There just seems to be such an absence of leadership, strength and courage--albeit the problems they face are nothing more than 'first world' issues.
I'm sorry, but a lot of this smells like the "men's rights" movement. And, uh, fuck that. "Oh noes! Male men are not being required to stick to traditional gender roles for 'men'! This is some how damaging to my own manliness!"
Also:
QuoteThere just seems to be such an absence of leadership, strength and courage....
What? Is this explicitly attached to "man" for you?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on May 30, 2012, 08:54:01 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 30, 2012, 08:27:28 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on May 30, 2012, 08:25:32 PM

exactly.
we should enjoy being pansies while we can.

Absolutely.

If you insist on "civilized" equal to being a pansy.

I don't.  Pretty sure you don't, either.  Or you wouldn't be here, you'd be on some teabagger Illinois board, endlessly shouting how much you hate Obama and Mexicans.

yeah. i was just being flip.
hell, the perfect end goal is a world of plenty and leisure, right? how macho will we be at that point?  We'll be like the Eloi or the Brave Londoners of 632 A.F. (hopefully a little more empathetic of our fellows than the former, i guess)

but i don't see that as likely.  we're at a high water mark now.

Burns, i didn't mean to dismiss the concern altogether... it is an issue in my opinion.  i've often thought of what rites of passage would have done me well growing up, and how to see that i can arrange for my sons to benefit from them.

i was just pointing out that it's probably a luxurious problem to face, and we may not have to worry about it in a generation or two (maybe less) due to a harsher reality forcing us into a continuous test of manhood.
i think i was being rudely flip, and apologize for that.

I don't feel an apology is necessary.  It's interesting to think about who would stand in the face of a harsher reality and to consider what inner qualities are necessary for a man (or woman for that matter) in that kind of event.

Bu🤠ns

While the methods used aren't exactly something I think is very effective, I think that it's a good start.  Hell, guys probably should get away from their wives from time to time for both his and her benefit. 

Luna

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 30, 2012, 11:19:41 PM

While the methods used aren't exactly something I think is very effective, I think that it's a good start.  Hell, guys probably should get away from their wives from time to time for both his and her benefit.

There is, I think, a subtle difference between, "hey, honey, the guys and I are going to go fishing for the weekend" and "I MUST BE A MAN AND GET AWAY FROM YOUR ESTROGEN POISON!"
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Totally agree.

Quote from: Luna on May 30, 2012, 11:24:11 PMThere is, I think, a subtle difference between, "hey, honey, the guys and I are going to go fishing for the weekend" and "I MUST BE A MAN AND GET AWAY FROM YOUR ESTROGEN POISON!"

I'd think it would be a happy time when people who say things like "I MUST BE A MAN AND GET AWAY FROM YOUR ESTROGEN POISON!" go away for the weekend. And maybe get eaten by bears.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on May 30, 2012, 11:07:13 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 30, 2012, 08:32:39 PM

That's it.  That's what I think is important.  I'm not really concerned with rituals, but what does concern me is seeing my fellow men walk about the world with their tail between their legs.  There just seems to be such an absence of leadership, strength and courage--albeit the problems they face are nothing more than 'first world' issues.
I'm sorry, but a lot of this smells like the "men's rights" movement. And, uh, fuck that. "Oh noes! Male men are not being required to stick to traditional gender roles for 'men'! This is some how damaging to my own manliness!"

I thought the Mythopoetic mens movement was the "men's rights" movement.  I think Roger stated it best when he said, "I already know WHAT I am.  If they don't, that's their fucking problem," earlier ITT.

Honestly, I like the traditional gender role associated with manhood and manliness.  It's useful to me and I appreciate the qualities inherent in it.  Do I think that ALL males should be forced to adopt it? Of course not.  I appreciate guys who are more feminine for reasons I'd rather not go into here. 

However, exploring what it means to take on this role in society today is really interesting to me.  What I hope to explore ITT and elsewhere is the relationship of this Man archetype to the modern ideas and roles of today.  The whole dynamic changes in relation to feminism, gender flexibility, women roles, and so on. Through all of this, I'm looking toward seeking my own definition.

Also:
QuoteThere just seems to be such an absence of leadership, strength and courage....
What? Is this explicitly attached to "man" for you?

C'mon now...Just because I attribute these qualities to 'man' doesn't mean I exclude them from 'women' or 'transgender.'  In pursuit of my own definition, I most certainly feel that these are necessary qualities among many others. 

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Luna on May 30, 2012, 11:24:11 PM

There is, I think, a subtle difference between, "hey, honey, the guys and I are going to go fishing for the weekend" and "I MUST BE A MAN AND GET AWAY FROM YOUR ESTROGEN POISON!"

Absolutely...and I think this is precisely the stigma attached to the masculine role today.  It's one thing to perhaps get up on stage and joke about the differences between men an women and another to take the jokes as absolute truth.

Another one that comes to mind is the whole, "Real men don't cry or show emotion" thing.  I mean this shit was beaten into my head for as far back as I can remember.  Even the Maassi teens, while they're getting their foreskin cut off have to not show any form of emotion or they fail the test. It's pretty weird.

Luna

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 30, 2012, 11:55:55 PM
Absolutely...and I think this is precisely the stigma attached to the masculine role today.  It's one thing to perhaps get up on stage and joke about the differences between men an women and another to take the jokes as absolute truth.

Another one that comes to mind is the whole, "Real men don't cry or show emotion" thing.  I mean this shit was beaten into my head for as far back as I can remember.  Even the Maassi teens, while they're getting their foreskin cut off have to not show any form of emotion or they fail the test. It's pretty weird.

Want weird?  A man who, on the day he gets married, decides that (despite the fact that she works as many hours as he does) he never has to cook, do laundry, clean, or wash a fucking dish again.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Men's_rights_movement

I think this MRA is different to the one mentioned by Garbo. They froth some egregious shit sometimes, and are usually trying to hang onto their straight white male privilege. Usually misogynists of the highest order, and make some radical feminists look like fluffy kittens.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Luna on May 31, 2012, 12:09:49 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 30, 2012, 11:55:55 PM

Want weird?  A man who, on the day he gets married, decides that (despite the fact that she works as many hours as he does) he never has to cook, do laundry, clean, or wash a fucking dish again.

:lulz:

Oh no!, Luna!

Quote from: Pixie on May 31, 2012, 12:16:35 AM
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Men's_rights_movement

I think this MRA is different to the one mentioned by Garbo. They froth some egregious shit sometimes, and are usually trying to hang onto their straight white male privilege. Usually misogynists of the highest order, and make some radical feminists look like fluffy kittens.

Yeeeeah...extremism...rather sick

Thanks for clarifying that, Pixie!