News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Started by notathing, May 30, 2012, 06:35:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I totally know that feeling. I like it. 
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

tyrannosaurus vex

I hate that there's a term for this, and that it doesn't just happen to me.

Does this century have to take the mystery out of everything?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Don Coyote

Quote from: v3x on May 31, 2012, 06:48:43 AM
I hate that there's a term for this, and that it doesn't just happen to me.

Does this century have to take the mystery out of everything?

Magnets.

notathing

Quote from: Epimetheus on May 30, 2012, 07:04:40 AM
The article is way too vague in describing the sensation. I'm sure everyone has had a happy, tingling sensation at some point, but I don't think that's the limit of what the article is attempting to describe. None of the triggers ring a bell for me.

That said,
I can induce a feeling by what I would call
intense spacing-out
which I have a hunch is what they're describing.
But that's completely at will. Is the sensation you're thinking of induced at will, or is it more dependent on the object of attention?

the article is kind of vague... but the feeling, if I understand correctly, is sort of unable to adequately be described *shrug*

the sensation described by the article can reportedly be induced at will by some people but generally occurs as response to external stimuli.

personally, I haven't been able to induce it at will. I do experience it frequently though--usually in response to music (especially when I fuck with the pitch control on a record player).

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 31, 2012, 12:37:00 AM
I only ever got that from the usual sources - sex, drugs & rock n roll.  :lulz: Music seems to set it off the most, though.  :?

hehe, same here...  :p

Quote from: Bu☆ns on May 31, 2012, 12:09:24 AM
I would get it from watching Bob Ross paint.  Also I can make the sensation happen at will and even direct it through different parts of my body.  yes even that part.

Until we chatted about this in IRC, however, I just assumed everyone could do this and it happened to everyone.  You know, just nerves releasing endorphins.

interesting burns... i can't help but think there may be some relationship between ASMR and experience with meditation and concentration.
speaking of which, Tel has piqued my curiousity as well. please report back!

i also assumed it happens to everyone.. apparently not :? I wonder if some people are incapable of experiencing it, or if something impedes them from doing so.

endorphins may be involved, but the mechanism of action is still unknown.

there ya go vex: some mysteries remain!

Epimetheus

Quote from: wehmut on May 31, 2012, 07:21:34 AM
the feeling, if I understand correctly, is sort of unable to adequately be described

...in English.

Funny how the limit of our mutual understanding is the limit of our language.

notathing

Quote from: Epimetheus on May 31, 2012, 07:24:12 AM
the feeling, if I understand correctly, is sort of unable to adequately be described

...in English.

i'm not sure i'd consider the limitation to be necessarily related to our language. language seems to be kind of a crude tool in general for conveying one's understanding of their perceptions to others.

i mean, no matter who is providing a description, that which is perceived still remains ultimately foreign to the listener, even if the listener has had a similar experience.

Epimetheus

Quote from: wehmut on May 31, 2012, 07:35:17 AM
Quote from: Epimetheus on May 31, 2012, 07:24:12 AM

...in English.

i'm not sure i'd consider the limitation to be necessarily related to our language. language seems to be kind of a crude tool in general for conveying one's understanding of their perceptions to others.

Yeah, that's my point.

i mean, no matter who is providing a description, that which is perceived still remains ultimately foreign to the listener, even if the listener has had a similar experience.

Why do you talk at all, then?

Anna Mae Bollocks

I think we had a whole thread about that awhile back, how just because people don't have a word handy for something doesn't mean they don't have the concept.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

notathing

Quote from: Epimetheus on May 31, 2012, 07:39:31 AM

Yeah, that's my point.

oh, I thought you were making an argument about the particular language of English, rather than about language in general. carry on.

sometimes I'm not sure.

Epimetheus

Quote from: wehmut on May 31, 2012, 07:44:06 AM

sometimes I'm not sure.

Language approximates, man. That's it's job. Luckily, language also features the statements "I understand" and "I don't understand." As long as two people are confident that they have cleared up a concept and understand each other, why would you assume they really don't?

notathing

Quote from: Epimetheus on May 31, 2012, 07:53:01 AM
Quote from: wehmut on May 31, 2012, 07:44:06 AM

sometimes I'm not sure.

Language approximates, man.

i'd agree with you there.

That's it's job. Luckily, language also features the statements "I understand" and "I don't understand." As long as two people are confident that they have cleared up a concept and understand each other, why would you assume they really don't?

belief that one has properly decoded the message conveyed doesn't necessarily entail that the message was received as intended. communication noise seems to be a frequent obstacle even in the most commonplace conversations.

Epimetheus

Quote from: wehmut on May 31, 2012, 08:41:32 AM
Language approximates, man.

i'd agree with you there.

That's it's job. Luckily, language also features the statements "I understand" and "I don't understand." As long as two people are confident that they have cleared up a concept and understand each other, why would you assume they really don't?

belief that one has properly decoded the message conveyed doesn't necessarily entail that the message was received as intended. communication noise seems to be a frequent obstacle even in the most commonplace conversations.

Ideally, the conversation won't end with a single one-way transmission. There will be back-and-forth clarifications which would take care of any noise. No, that ideal doesn't always happen. The point is to get as close as you can.

Regardless of your explicit hopelessness about communication, you're still trying to communicate with me, in the belief that we can reach mutual understanding. I hope you realize that.

Epimetheus