News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Mostly working kindle

Started by Don Coyote, June 08, 2012, 03:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Also, a Kindle that stops working isn't quite the same as a book that somehow becomes unreadable. The data is still there, it's hard to find a proper comparison because you don't need a special device to read a book like you do to read MOSFET cell charges :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 09, 2012, 02:52:05 AM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 08, 2012, 10:09:48 PM
I find this absolutely hilarious. I find it hilarious because several people have told me to get an e-reader, and trolled me when I said I preferred traditional books.

Hey, look guys, my processed tree corpses are still working!  :lol:

I'd generally agree with you about dead tree format, but I have a few books that in electrons that are either stupidly big, or prohibitively expensive if I were to get them turned into dead tree, like the more obscure manuals that are continually coming to light for medieval dueling.

In anycase, I bought a nook simple touch, almost bought the nook tablet.

I read Atlas Shrugged didn't have to damage my back at all.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

Kindles are great for electronic note-taking.  I keep most of my academic notes in a word file, so it is much easier to highlight and then paste the passage I want from the Kindle onto the file than it is to underline the passage in question and boot the laptop everytime I see something of interesting.

That said, I buy both.  To be honest, most of the books I'm interested in are hard to get on Amazon, let alone get in an ebook format.  You're not going to get Chekisty or Politics Among Nations or A Study of History anytime soon.  And I'm ever mindful that hardware errors do occur, hence why I have at least two electronic backups in addition to what I actually have loaded on the machine.  Having the dead-tree and electronic version means that is unnecessary.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Luna on June 10, 2012, 12:23:11 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 09, 2012, 10:15:06 PM
I like paper books.

I like my Kindle.

Nothing wrong with having both. I don't get the arguments people get into about them, it mostly seems like elitism or neophobia more than anything else.

I like both...  I just rarely buy paper any more, because the Kindle version is usually cheaper.  Also, carrying a couple thousand books in my purse is handy.

I dig the light, thin, fits in my purse, and I'm never without new reading material aspect.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

The idea of a couple of thousand books in a purse is tempting and sounds like a lot more fun than doing phone facebook while stuck in a bus station all night. I'm sure I'll get one at some point, I just hope it holds up better than Coyote's.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 10, 2012, 07:08:52 PM
The idea of a couple of thousand books in a purse is tempting and sounds like a lot more fun than doing phone facebook while stuck in a bus station all night. I'm sure I'll get one at some point, I just hope it holds up better than Coyote's.

Mine's an older model, had it a year or two now and it's hanging in there.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

My old Nook (over 2 years old now) is still working perfectly, and my Nook Color Tab is my single favorite piece of electronic equipment I've ever owned.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"