News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Mostly working kindle

Started by Don Coyote, June 08, 2012, 03:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

So I have this kindle floating around. It still functions aside from only half of the screen working. What do? The interwebs only have software hacks and such for it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Thems one ovem newfangled books like whut they hev on Stawr Trek, right?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 08, 2012, 04:48:23 AM
Thems one ovem newfangled books like whut they hev on Stawr Trek, right?

Aye

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Alty on June 08, 2012, 06:25:55 AM
Turn it into a fishtank.

LOL. I'm not sure how, but now I am curious how I would make this wafer thin into a fish tank.

Lenin McCarthy

Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 08, 2012, 06:32:02 AM
Quote from: Alty on June 08, 2012, 06:25:55 AM
Turn it into a fishtank.

LOL. I'm not sure how, but now I am curious how I would make this wafer thin into a fish tank.
Keep flounders in it.

Bruno

Have you tried smacking it around some?
Formerly something else...

Don Coyote

Cain

Didn't you get that just this Christmas?

Ring Amazon support about that shit.  And remember to mention how you are covered by the warranty, so if they do not fix it, you are entitled to three free Kindles and an Amazon gift voucher worth the GDP of Greece.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on June 08, 2012, 07:54:43 AM

Ring Amazon support about that shit.  And remember to mention how you are covered by the warranty, so if they do not fix it, you are entitled to three free Kindles and an Amazon gift voucher worth the GDP of Greece.

Out of warranty, and that was my third replacement.

Luna

Holy crap. 

Okay...  What does "half working" mean? 

I'd start by holding the power button for the 20 seconds it takes to reset it, see if that helps.

If you've got horizontal lines running across it, the screen may be damaged from pressure, in which case, it's a pretty useless doorstop, I think.

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Luna on June 08, 2012, 09:34:44 AM
Holy crap. 

I'd start by holding the power button for the 20 seconds it takes to reset it, see if that helps.

If you've got horizontal lines running across it, the screen may be damaged from pressure, in which case, it's a pretty useless doorstop, I think.

As in half of the screen displays something worth looking at, and yes, I did all the standard reset procedures, twice, once on my own and again while on the phone with a man from tech support, the same as with every other kindle that up and died on me.

Luna

Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 08, 2012, 09:47:20 AM
Quote from: Luna on June 08, 2012, 09:34:44 AM
Holy crap. 

As in half of the screen displays something worth looking at, and yes, I did all the standard reset procedures, twice, once on my own and again while on the phone with a man from tech support, the same as with every other kindle that up and died on me.

Hrm.  Well then, I'm stumped. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 08, 2012, 08:09:12 AM

1. What, that means your warranty is less than half a year?? In NL I don't think it's even legal to give that short of warranty on electronic devices. Well you can try, but the argument should go sort of like this:

You: So how long's the warranty?

WHILE GUARANTEE < SIX MONTHS:
    Salesmonkey: Uh.. Well, the warranty is six months ...
    You: So if I buy this I should not expect it to work anymore after six months?
    Salesmonkey: No it should last longer than that ...
    You: If I buy this, how long can you guarantee me this thing will work?
    # (REPEAT)

Salesmonkey: Well I'd say at least a year or so.
You: Cool, can you get me that in writing?

Of course this works better if you didn't order online from a faceless corporation.

2. Even if your warranty is ridiculously short like 3 months or so, shouldn't it reset every time you get a replacement? Given that a 3 month warranty means "this device won't spontaneously fall apart for at least 3 months", as soon as you get a new one that should still hold, right? It's not like they will issue replacements with meticulously calculated shorter and shorter expected lifetimes and if you were to send one back at exactly the 3 month mark they'll mail you a baggie with some silicon dust and a few bent plastic bits in it and you say "Hey! This is not a Kindle!" and they say "Well it was when we sent it, warranty must have expired while it was in the mail. Sorry, nothing we can do about it."

So try sending it back, but include a copy of some bit of paper or receipt thing that shows the date when you received the last replacement, aka this particular device, insetad of when you bought the original one.

Otherwise ,the screen is pretty much the cool thing about a Kindle. Without it, you basically got a tiny computer that falls somewhere between a calculator and a simple mobile phone. Which is still pretty damn impressive, if you lived 20 years ago.

Maybe you can find another Kindle somewhere that's got some other part broken (say, water damage)  but still has a functioning screen (ok, hard to tell if it won't turn on, but eh) and then make a Frankenkindle.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Guru Quixote on June 08, 2012, 08:09:12 AM

Are these refurbished or something? Because otherwise, that's not sounding all that promising for Kindle's durability.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."