Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

On the recurrence of discussions

Started by The Johnny, June 09, 2012, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:19:07 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 08:14:41 PM
We're all just cogs, when you look at us from a certain angle. 

I, for example, am a cog in the chemical industry.  I do one small thing that contributes to the profits of a certain oil company, and I help make available high-purity materials for the infrastructure and medical markets.

Stella is a small cog in the interpersonal relationships field.  She tells individuals what they think they want to hear.  This makes them feel better about petty things they have no control over.

LMNO is a small cog in the Big Gay Cowboy industry.  He saves children from alligators.

RWHN is a small cog in the police state.  I am unsure what he does.

I put kids in jail.  Haven't you been paying attention?  I'm a Bad Man.  I am up to No Good.

No, police and district attorneys put children in jail.  You merely find that the basic ideas that they use to do so are fundamentally sound, and work in a position that helps promulgate that view.  You aren't the Bad Man.  You're a cog, in a vast machine full of cogs and good intentions.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I, for example, am a cog in the chemical industry.  I do one small thing that contributes to the profits of a certain oil company, and I help make available high-purity materials for the infrastructure and medical markets.

Stella is a small cog in the interpersonal relationships field.  She tells individuals what they think they want to hear.  This makes them feel better about petty things they have no control over.

LMNO is a small cog in the Big Gay Cowboy industry.  He saves children from alligators.

He licks ass and suffers from delusions of grandeur.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 13, 2012, 08:22:01 PM

I think he believes he is doing and/or supporting something that is - on the whole - right.

I think he's wrong.  Horribly, horribly wrong.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I will refrain from the obvious sophomoric amateur psychology, as I believe that it has already been inferred by my above statement.

AFK

Quote from: Net on June 13, 2012, 08:08:43 PM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 07:54:30 PM
Tell me what you need to learn and I'll point you in the right direction.

I need to learn more about the following things:
• the privatized prison industry

I can't help you with that one.  We have county jails and state prisons in Maine.

Quote• Why America has the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world, in spite of a 15 year trend of decreasing rates of violent crime

Take a statistics class.  Something can be going down but still be the highest per capita compared to others.  It just means others are going down faster or were a lot lower, per capita, to begin with.

Quote• What agenda is causing the National Cancer Institute and the Journal of the American Medical Association to publish pro-marijuana articles

Pro-medical marijuana, pro smoked medical-marijuana?  Depends on the specific stance they are taking.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:26:46 PM

I can't help you with that one.  We have county jails and state prisons in Maine.

And that makes Senator Doug Thomas (R-Somerset) cry.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 08:21:30 PM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:19:07 PM

I put kids in jail.  Haven't you been paying attention?  I'm a Bad Man.  I am up to No Good.

No, police and district attorneys put children in jail.  You merely find that the basic ideas that they use to do so are fundamentally sound, and work in a position that helps promulgate that view.  You aren't the Bad Man.  You're a cog, in a vast machine full of cogs and good intentions.

Nope, I'm right there, whispering in their ear telling them I think it is a great idea to lock up nonviolent drug offenders and throw away the key.  I'm telling them to not worry about silly little things like futures, wellness, education, growth.  Nope, lock them up and be done with them.  Because I know that is what is good for my community to be healthy.  Lots of kids in jails.  Yep.  It's right there engraved in my coffee mug. 

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 08:23:44 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 13, 2012, 08:22:01 PM

I think he believes he is doing and/or supporting something that is - on the whole - right.

I think he's wrong.  Horribly, horribly wrong.

It's like a person who does WalMart cheers and MEANS them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:31:11 PM
Nope, I'm right there, whispering in their ear telling them I think it is a great idea to lock up nonviolent drug offenders and throw away the key.  I'm telling them to not worry about silly little things like futures, wellness, education, growth.  Nope, lock them up and be done with them.  Because I know that is what is good for my community to be healthy.  Lots of kids in jails.  Yep.  It's right there engraved in my coffee mug.

You've already stated your position on diversion, etc.  But the thing is, you still support prohibition, which is on the whole a horrible fucking monster that destroys lives in the name of saving them.

While I agree that sometimes you have to live with an imperfect solution, the prohibition industry on the whole is not a solution at all.

And then to be told that it's okay because your state doesn't have private prisons?  Or because your state has a somewhat realistic diversion program?  You honestly can't see how that looks?

The Good Reverend Roger

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 08:36:19 PM
Take a statistics class. 

Missed this.

Christ, what an asshole.

Yeah.
It's like when he told me to "go talk to the school" after I fought them tooth and nail for YEARS.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Perhaps you could brush up on it and get back to me as this is a growing national industry.

Quote• Why America has the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world, in spite of a 15 year trend of decreasing rates of violent crime

Take a statistics class.  Something can be going down but still be the highest per capita compared to others.  It just means others are going down faster or were a lot lower, per capita, to begin with.

I've already taken statistics classes. I was actually balls deep in science before I transferred to teh arts.

Thanks for the non-answer though.

Quote• What agenda is causing the National Cancer Institute and the Journal of the American Medical Association to publish pro-marijuana articles

Pro-medical marijuana, pro smoked medical-marijuana?  Depends on the specific stance they are taking.

They take positions on medical marijuana, smoked medical marijuana, and marijuana smoked illegally.

Why would they risk their reputation to publish articles in favor of all of the above?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 13, 2012, 08:38:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 08:36:19 PM
Take a statistics class. 

Missed this.

Christ, what an asshole.

Yeah.
It's like when he told me to "go talk to the school" after I fought them tooth and nail for YEARS.

You must have done it wrong.  Apparently it works in Maine.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 08:35:18 PM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:31:11 PM

You've already stated your position on diversion, etc.  But the thing is, you still support prohibition, which is on the whole a horrible fucking monster that destroys lives in the name of saving them.

So isn't substance abuse.  Especially whenit involves youth and untimely deaths of youth.

QuoteWhile I agree that sometimes you have to live with an imperfect solution, the prohibition industry on the whole is not a solution at all.

It isn't the solution.  I've said this repeatedly but you guys are too busy getting your hate on to pay attention.  The actual community-based prevention strategies and efforts are the solution.  But legalization significantly alters the environment and would neutralize and overcome those efforts.

QuoteAnd then to be told that it's okay because your state doesn't have private prisons?  Or because your state has a somewhat realistic diversion program?  You honestly can't see how that looks?

I didn't say it was okay dumbass, I simply said it wasn't here so I can't comment on it.  But, it being in other states, also means I have no influence.  If it is in your state, YOU go do something about it. 

AFK

Quote from: Net on June 13, 2012, 08:39:07 PM

They take positions on medical marijuana, smoked medical marijuana, and marijuana smoked illegally.

Why would they risk their reputation to publish articles in favor of all of the above?

I could only speculate without reading actual articles.