News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

On the recurrence of discussions

Started by The Johnny, June 09, 2012, 11:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

In fact, this entire conversation, in all affected threads, is just further proof that we are monkeys just like all the humans are.  We ALL KNOW that this conversation, like a few others, will change nobody's mind, and just get everyone all butthurt, castrate the rest of the board, and create an enormous amount of ill-will that will probably never go away.

But what happens when the SHINY, SHINY subject is brought up?  We're all over it like a test monkey on a heap o' cocaine.  Because we're DUMB.  We don't LEARN.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 14, 2012, 06:11:46 PM
In fact, this entire conversation, in all affected threads, is just further proof that we are monkeys just like all the humans are.  We ALL KNOW that this conversation, like a few others, will change nobody's mind, and just get everyone all butthurt, castrate the rest of the board, and create an enormous amount of ill-will that will probably never go away.

But what happens when the SHINY, SHINY subject is brought up?  We're all over it like a test monkey on a heap o' cocaine.  Because we're DUMB.  We don't LEARN.

This also.

Epimetheus

Well, I don't get into arguments to change the other person's mind. It's more for the possibility that I might change mine - see their side, so to speak.

but yeah. We are monkeys. And boy am I proud.
:monkeydance:

And Roger what do you think of being played by Shia LaBeouf? (pg 12) :lol:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 14, 2012, 06:20:17 PM
Well, I don't get into arguments to change the other person's mind. It's more for the possibility that I might change mine - see their side, so to speak.

but yeah. We are monkeys. And boy am I proud.
:monkeydance:

And Roger what do you think of being played by Shia LaBeouf? (pg 12) :lol:
I have no idea, because I can't see it at my work computer, and I'm ALWAYS AT WORK NOW.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 14, 2012, 05:20:13 PM
"I'm not a prohibitionist, but I don't think it should be legalized."

Or words to that effect.

I believe that kind of phrasing is usually referred to as "weasel words".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 14, 2012, 06:08:52 PM
Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 14, 2012, 06:05:08 PM
I'm fully in favor of prohibition.

Prohibition of these ridiculous and rapidly metastasizing discussion about drugs, that is.

I was thinking of wadding them all up into one thread, but it occurred to me that is something Malaul would do.

We're just going to have to suffer through it, I think.  And I can't put all the blame on RWHN.  He DID bring the subject up in reference to locker searches, but EVERYONE AND THEIR DAMN GRANDMOTHER looks at NOTHING BUT this trainwreck.

So whattaya gonna do?  This isn't communist America, we can't TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO SAY or argue about.  Well, yes it IS communist America, I guess, but not everyone here is from America.

It was already embedded in the topic.  That's why they were doing the locker searches, and I was trying to keep it in the sphere of school responsibility for student safety.  But, I think others decided they wanted to have the same drug fight again.  I obliged, of course, but you can't blame me for diverting the topic away from school safety into another endless drug debate.  Well, you could blame me, but you would be wrong.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 14, 2012, 06:53:49 PM

Prohibition of these ridiculous and rapidly metastasizing discussion about drugs, that is.

I was thinking of wadding them all up into one thread, but it occurred to me that is something Malaul would do.

We're just going to have to suffer through it, I think.  And I can't put all the blame on RWHN.  He DID bring the subject up in reference to locker searches, but EVERYONE AND THEIR DAMN GRANDMOTHER looks at NOTHING BUT this trainwreck.

So whattaya gonna do?  This isn't communist America, we can't TELL PEOPLE WHAT TO SAY or argue about.  Well, yes it IS communist America, I guess, but not everyone here is from America.

It was already embedded in the topic.  That's why they were doing the locker searches, and I was trying to keep it in the sphere of school responsibility for student safety.  But, I think others decided they wanted to have the same drug fight again.  I obliged, of course, but you can't blame me for diverting the topic away from school safety into another endless drug debate.  Well, you could blame me, but you would be wrong.

Your definition of "school safety" basically amounts to CALL THE COPS SEARCH THE LOCKERS THEY MIGHT HAVE DRRRRRUUUUUUUGGGGGZZZZZ.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

I blame everyone equally, including myself.  We all stood around with that giddy look you get on your face just before you stick your dick in the garbage disposal, and then in we went.

And, predictably, it's spread to and demolished about a half-dozen threads.  Because WE DON'T LEARN.  I predict we'll be arguing about Magick or Libertarianism or IP or all of the above before August, because we're fucking stupid that way.

So much for homo sapiens.

AFK

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on June 14, 2012, 05:15:33 PM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:42:51 PM
It isn't the solution.  I've said this repeatedly but you guys are too busy getting your hate on to pay attention.  The actual community-based prevention strategies and efforts are the solution.  But legalization significantly alters the environment and would neutralize and overcome those efforts.

Why? Alcohol is legal for adult (21+) consumption. Illegal for children to consume but they are known to do so and abuse alcohol anyway. From what I've seen there are tons of prevention campaigns against underage drinking, counseling programs for kids with a substance abuse problem.

So how would having these same sorts of programs and sanctions, etc. in place allowing adults to consume it if they wish while still trying to address the problems with children and teenagers abusing alcohol or drugs, RUIN THINGS FOREVER?

Also, without a bunch of money going to the prosecution of drug users, maybe some of it can be diverted back to useful prevention and education programs.

(Since apparently this thread's about drugs now too and I haven't finished reading the last three pages)

Legalizing drugs would make them more available and increase access.  Yes, I know some drugs are already easy to get, but this would make them measurably MORE easy to get.  That impacts usage rates causing them to go up.  Maybe, you could get them back down with prevention programs but funding for prevention is woefully inadequate as it is.  And I have no faith in state governments to reroute any potential savings in enforcement to prevention.  As it is my governor is cutting prevention funding that comes from tobacco settlement money and not taxes.

So I'm really not taking some significant risks and relying on maybes.

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 14, 2012, 06:58:45 PM

I blame everyone equally, including myself.  We all stood around with that giddy look you get on your face just before you stick your dick in the garbage disposal, and then in we went.

And, predictably, it's spread to and demolished about a half-dozen threads.  Because WE DON'T LEARN.  I predict we'll be arguing about Magick or Libertarianism or IP or all of the above before August, because we're fucking stupid that way.

I just wish, at least, people could not take it so personally that I have a different opinion.  I don't care about the insults, calling me a "bad person", etc.  It doesn't bother me personally.  It bothered me the first couple of go-arounds on this topic but I've learned to brush it off.

BUT, at least the quality of the debate, if we are going to have it, could be a little higher.

Just my two cents for whatever it is worth.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 14, 2012, 07:01:30 PM
Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on June 14, 2012, 05:15:33 PM
Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 13, 2012, 08:42:51 PM
It isn't the solution.  I've said this repeatedly but you guys are too busy getting your hate on to pay attention.  The actual community-based prevention strategies and efforts are the solution.  But legalization significantly alters the environment and would neutralize and overcome those efforts.

Why? Alcohol is legal for adult (21+) consumption. Illegal for children to consume but they are known to do so and abuse alcohol anyway. From what I've seen there are tons of prevention campaigns against underage drinking, counseling programs for kids with a substance abuse problem.

So how would having these same sorts of programs and sanctions, etc. in place allowing adults to consume it if they wish while still trying to address the problems with children and teenagers abusing alcohol or drugs, RUIN THINGS FOREVER?

Also, without a bunch of money going to the prosecution of drug users, maybe some of it can be diverted back to useful prevention and education programs.

(Since apparently this thread's about drugs now too and I haven't finished reading the last three pages)

Legalizing drugs would make them more available and increase access.  Yes, I know some drugs are already easy to get, but this would make them measurably MORE easy to get.  That impacts usage rates causing them to go up.  Maybe, you could get them back down with prevention programs but funding for prevention is woefully inadequate as it is.  And I have no faith in state governments to reroute any potential savings in enforcement to prevention.  As it is my governor is cutting prevention funding that comes from tobacco settlement money and not taxes.

So I'm really not taking some significant risks and relying on maybes.

You seem to think everybody forgot that's been refuted already.

YUO ON CRACK?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Bad Reverend What's-His-Name! on June 14, 2012, 07:06:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 14, 2012, 06:58:45 PM

I just wish, at least, people could not take it so personally that I have a different opinion.  I don't care about the insults, calling me a "bad person", etc.  It doesn't bother me personally.  It bothered me the first couple of go-arounds on this topic but I've learned to brush it off.

BUT, at least the quality of the debate, if we are going to have it, could be a little higher.

Just my two cents for whatever it is worth.

Could have fooled me.  You've been just as pissed off as me or anyone else.

Fact is, I really don't care what your opinion is, outside of debate.  But the impression I get is that you've put a "uniform" on, that you've allowed what you DO to become who you ARE.

AFK

You are mistaking satire for anger.

I wear lots of uniforms.  One is a father, one is a husband, one is a musician, one is a poet, one is a scientist, and yes, one is a grassroots community organizer/preventionist.  My job is very important to me, as are my goals to reduce substance abuse and make my community a healthy place for children to live and grow.  BUT, I am not solely defined by it.

The Good Reverend Roger