News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

All of you are wrong about everything

Started by Golden Applesauce, June 12, 2012, 05:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2012, 10:34:55 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 12, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
If they're not throwing chairs yet, they need more HOLYTM.

Fortunately, my pance are chock full o' Holy™, and I'm working late.

HAR HARRRRR  :lulz:

Upper deck?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 12, 2012, 10:37:38 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2012, 10:34:55 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 12, 2012, 10:33:26 PM
If they're not throwing chairs yet, they need more HOLYTM.

Fortunately, my pance are chock full o' Holy™, and I'm working late.

HAR HARRRRR  :lulz:

Upper deck?

Naw.  I'm just going to be horrible.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 12, 2012, 10:47:42 PM
Now I'm intrigued.  :lol:

I told Mike that his vestigial twin was looking healthy.  While looking at his gut.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Alty on June 12, 2012, 05:22:17 AM
Oooh!

It is my opinion that Justin Bieber and his like are the clearest and most pure form of evil on the planet. Not due to the quality of his music, which, I suppose, is a mater of taste. He is the face of evil because while actual terrible things are happening in the world, and the quality and quantity of investigative journalism dwindles, and the populace demands media to soothe their 1st world woes they are listening to, and thinking about, and talking about, and looking at, and hearing casually of, and fapping to Justin Fucking Bieber.

He, to me, is the symbol of what's most wrong about humanity. Not because it's worse than rape or genital mutilation, but because it erases those those things from people's minds so efficiently, these minds being the only ones who can actually help to put an end to those things. At the very least they are wasting water on SOMETHING made out of corn to shove into their faces in a myriad of ways and watching HIM instead of doing ANYTHING to help ANYONE ever.

Firstly, merely being a symbol of something doesn't in any way grant you properties of the thing. Eduard Khil and Rick Astley are figureheads of the trolling phenomena, but they personally are/were just musicians; they're not calling up random hotel rooms and convincing the guests to throw the television out the window. Justin Bieber isn't systematically sabotaging journalist's fact checking abilities - journalists are doing that to themselves, and he's just the cutest celeb at hand. If he weren't around, journalism and civil engagement would still be in the dump, we'd just have as slightly less marketable pre-teen idol.

The second part of your opinion - that he's distracting people from fixing Important Problems - is missing the point. The two problems in the world right now are 1) to much terrible stuff happening and 2) not enough good stuff happening. There are something like 7 billion people on the planet today. We can multitask and have some create good while others eliminate evils. It's not clear that stopping work on positive projects would have all that great of an effect on eliminating more serious problems (many issues seem to be bottlenecked at organization and coming up with a working strategy, not number of bodies thrown at the problem, for example), nor that doing so is even desirable: Cutting an genuine source of shared experiences does a disservice those lucky enough to be a few levels up in Maslow's hierarchy. The end goal is to bring everyone up, not mush everyone into the second-lowest state.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 12, 2012, 06:04:26 AM
Hey, you changed your avatar! Granted it was to another anime character, but it's progress.

I recommend that you choose Balky Bartokomous for your next avatar.

HAH! VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS, NOT ANIME CHARACTERS!

Although I suppose you could argue that Charmander is an anime character given the ridiculously long running anime which a member of his species was in for a season. But then you'd have to say that arbitrary humans are anime characters, because there were humans in that series as well.

I will admit that this particular avatar is not looking as good after a good night's sleep.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on June 12, 2012, 07:55:37 AM

As a rhetorical exersice to out-argue the other side or actual real positionings and ideas?

Either, but I reserve the right to be generally obnoxious in case I can't think of anything else to say.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 12, 2012, 12:49:46 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 12, 2012, 05:12:30 AM
1. You post the best opinions you can come up with.

I believe force equals mass times acceleration.

"Mass times acceleration" is an expression.
"Force" is a physical quantity (sort of.)

There's a fundamental type mismatch in your claim.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 13, 2012, 01:02:08 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 12, 2012, 12:49:46 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 12, 2012, 05:12:30 AM
1. You post the best opinions you can come up with.

I believe force equals mass times acceleration.

"Mass times acceleration" is an expression.
"Force" is a physical quantity (sort of.)

There's a fundamental type mismatch in your claim.

*plonk*

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on June 13, 2012, 12:58:50 AM
Quote from: Twiddlegeddon on June 12, 2012, 06:04:26 AM
Hey, you changed your avatar! Granted it was to another anime character, but it's progress.

I recommend that you choose Balky Bartokomous for your next avatar.

HAH! VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS, NOT ANIME CHARACTERS!

Although I suppose you could argue that Charmander is an anime character given the ridiculously long running anime which a member of his species was in for a season. But then you'd have to say that arbitrary humans are anime characters, because there were humans in that series as well.

I will admit that this particular avatar is not looking as good after a good night's sleep.

I'm not a dork, so I don't know the difference.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2012, 01:41:08 PM
The world was wrecked the moment Kaiser Wilhelm I fired Otto Von Bismark.

Bismarck outlived Wilhelm I. It was his son who fired him.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Waffles, The Iron on June 12, 2012, 02:01:53 PM
Norway isn't part of Belgium.

Nonsense. All your European "countries" have been so hopelessly dominating and penetrating each other the last 1000 years or so that it's impossible to tell where inbred fiefdom stops and the next begins. You have Germans living next to Frenchman in the UK, which includes a chunk of Ireland (except the people who live there are all Scottish.) Perhaps with a decade or so of research, a team of expert sociologists claim to have found the boundary between Norwegians and Belgians (perhaps based on regional variations on alcohol manufacture?) but their findings could never be considered conclusive. In fact, the whole premise of modern Europe is that it just isn't worth it to work out the real boundaries between countries because that seems to require multiple religious and ethnic minorities to take it in the neck.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: kingyak on June 12, 2012, 04:26:52 PM
Magnets: Not really that complicated.

Sure, they're just one half of an orthogonal set of recursively generative force fields, which allows a perpetual-motion* wave-quanta by waving a magnet around just right. The simplest way to mathematically model this behavior starts with imaginary numbers, differential equations, and freaky circular graphs.

And that's if you stick to the easy stuff. There's a bunch of chaotic effects, even without digging to the quantum level. Throw in questions like "How magnetic is my fullerene, given this set of impurities?" and you have dozens of lifetimes you can spend and still not have gotten to the bottom of magnetism.

*Yes, you can get perpetual motion, with the restriction that the perpetual motion machine in question must subjectively experience zero time and have zero rest mass.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: v3x on June 12, 2012, 04:44:22 PM
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

That phrase is only coherent in context of a morally-normative cosmos, of which we not only have zero evidence, but there isn't even evidence to support such a worldview that could conceivably exist.  C.f., Hume's Law.