News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

God Bless America

Started by kingyak, June 19, 2012, 07:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingyak

Anybody seen Bobcat Goldthwait's new(?)* movie, God Bless America? I saw it over the weekend, and it's probably my favorite thing I've seen this year (and remember, I'm a horror and comic nerd, so that means it beat out Avengers and Cabin in the Woods).

Possible Spoilers
The movie is about Frank (Joel "Bill's brother, even though he sounds exactly like Dan Ackroyd" Murray), a guy who is surrounded by awful people (ie, average Americans) and bombarded with stupidity (TV) to the point that he fantasizes about pulling a Charlie Whitman. When his life starts to completely fall apart, he decides to end it all, but at the last minute decides that first he'll take a particularly horrible reality TV star out first. After the deed is done, he's once again ready to blow his head off when a spunky young runaway convinces him that it would be wrong for him to kill himself when there are so many other horrible people who deserve to die. Hilarity ensues.

So kind of a cross between Falling Down, Natural Born Killers, Idiocracy, and Amazon Women on the Moon. Worth watching for Frank's rants alone (as well as the kid's ode to Alice Cooper), worth staying for the bloodshed and wackiness. The clips of TV shows, drive time radio, and just the overall horribleness of most people is also hilarious, but I'm not sure if it counts as parody since it's not really exaggerated--it's a pretty faithful depiction of American pop culture/life, just framed in a way that highlights how fucking stupid it all is.

I give it 17 thumbs up.

*or at least new-ish--the only place we've got that plays this kind of movie sometimes gets them long after they were actually released, and IMDB gives a 2011 release date.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Anna Mae Bollocks

Trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz_WRWzkimw  :lulz:
100% accurate depiction of television is 100% accurate.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division