News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Daily Discordia

Started by AFK, June 20, 2012, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Okay, in the interest of trying to provide some topical feng shui,

I'd like to talk about something that actually revolves around Discordia.

Think about your daily routine, or your daily non-routine, and talk about where there is Discordia.

Where do you do things a little differently because you have Her whispering in your ear?

Do you have any daily rituals, habits, or activities that are steeped in your Discordianness?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

I FLOSS MY TEETH WIFF FLAX!

AFK

I don't look both ways before I cross the street.

I look ALL ways!

AFK

I conduct free Starbucks tests at Tim Hortons.

Forsooth

The most I ever do is writing on public posters and signs with a Sharpie.

Frequently it is just drawing  mustaches on faces

in my house? Nothing. At work? Nothing.

Pretty much just a Discordian in my own head

Placid Dingo

I guess daily there's not a lot; I do treat everything with a bit of skepticism. Bob Wilson's 'general agnosticism' was influential there.

Also, I get awkward and avoid giving direct answers when people start asking me questions about religion.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

AFK

Depending on who it is, I'll tell them the truth.  They stop asking me those kinds of questions soon after.

Placid Dingo

Actually something I have been doing recently is using the Discordian Tarot cards :)
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

tyrannosaurus vex

The only people who ever ask me about religions are cockmonglers who want to change my mind as soon as I say anything. So, I bail with a vague "I don't really do religion." And it's true, anyway. I don't do religion. When you think of religion you think of some bullshit that you believe, arranged in a list from most to least important, and you think of some kind of organization whose duty is to enforce and propogate those beliefs. I have none of that. My religion is based on the idea that religion is retarded, and beliefs are also retarded, unless they are somehow verified -- but then they're not beliefs, they're science.

And the minute I start down any possible path ending in that, whoever asked is either going to become immediately uninterested, or start talking about Jesus. Either way, no thanks. Plus this religion is too good for those fuckers, and they don't deserve to know about it. Hell I don't deserve to know about it, but some idiot left the door open and word got to me accidentally.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

kingyak

When I trolling the discussion threads on the local TV "news" site, I respond to quotes from the Bible with appropriate quotes from the PD.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Salty

I am very devout, I see Discordia everywhere (I have written on this) and I give Her a wide fucking berth.

I see the Lo5's pumping away like some kind of psychotic living math, like fire behind the glassy eyes of The People.

I see people driving so many cars and I wonder: what kind of miracle makes it so that these monkeys behind their wheels don't all smash into each other MORE OFTEN? Perhaps it's because THEY see the Goddess too. They know, somewhere deep deep down, they know that despite their wishful thinking there is something much bigger out there and they better drive safe unless they want to get squished like a bug.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Triple Zero

I still try to work in 23's and 5's everywhere possible. Mostly to fuck with people like Alty who think the Lo5's is merely in their heads. WRONG!!! There's also bastards like me to tip the balance mwuahahaha.

I don't do it on this particular forum, of course, since it's hardly a mindfuck to encounter a 23 in the context of here.

Also, there's always these moments when a parable of sorts is relevant (though these days we call them "pop culture references"), if a Discordian one happens to fit the bill I make a point of mentioning it as if it's common knowledge (and explain it for anyone who wants to hear).

And on a more personal level, I try to do different things a lot. As I found out like everyone did when they were 15, it's cool to be different and "alternative". Except as you grow older, it's WAY more rewarding to be different and alternative from yourself, than it is to be diffferent and alternative from everybody else. I mean, the latter I am already, it takes no effort whatsoever because I couldn't be like everybody else even if I wanted to. But yourself is someone else, much more interesting to not be like them. So, for instance, I had one of those shitty days, when you sit on the couch and plan to do something useful and then it gets late and you think "goddamnit wtf I wasted this whole day with dumb and lazy"* and then later in the evening I had this meditation group, which is pretty awesome because every week we pick a completely different type of meditation to try out and see what it's like and that night we were doing humming. So we'd go MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM for 45 minutes. Which is of course ridiculous, but while we were doing it I was like FUCK YEAH here I was thinking my whole day was going to be wasted and worthless but here I am sitting in a room with 10 other people fucking going MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM for 45 minutes!! Ok maybe you don't get it let me explain, see a wasted day, IMO, is wasted because it's exactly the same as any other wasted day. A day which ends up with you sitting together with 10 people going MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM for 45 minutes, therefore by definition cannot be wasted (unless you do that shit every day, but let's be real here). And that's when I knew I made a really wise choice joining that group (also, because afaik none of them believe in magickal healing stones or shit like that, but are just interested in meditation and all come from different directions).

Ok I digressed a bit there. Gonna hit post now.

(*the real reason is my body or mind really needed that rest and won't let me do anything else no matter how hard I fight it, I'm learning that, but it's easy to fall in the trap because on the outside it looks exactly the same as someone who's just lazy but could do it if only he'd try a bit harder--but that's not my point here)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on June 21, 2012, 09:21:49 PM

I see people driving so many cars and I wonder: what kind of miracle makes it so that these monkeys behind their wheels don't all smash into each other MORE OFTEN? Perhaps it's because THEY see the Goddess too.

No, it's because they DON'T THINK ABOUT IT.

If they did, even for a moment, every highway in America would be an instant charnel house.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mistre

I, personally, practice discordianism as a philosophy, with a certain degree of religion in the same sense that term is used for buddhism (as in I am devoted to a path, not to an objective), consequently, my outlook is heavily influenced by it. Thus, my actions, to a certain degree, are all influenced by Discordia, I guess.
Uber Supreme Poobah of Pope-Groping™

He who acknowledges his own inability to answer a question is wise, he who does not seek one is stupid.

tyrannosaurus vex

like so, today, at a family function:
dad: Did you know the Chinese own the AZ state capitol building? Our government pays RENT to the Chinese!
me: Actually it is just some private companies who own the buildings, and maybe China has a stake in it.
dad: OBAMA! GRR!
me: it was Jan Brewer and her Republican legislature who sold them, not Obama. By the way she sold them for $81 million, and this year they're buying them back.
dad: well that's good!
me: yeah. they're buying them back for $105 million. AFTER paying 2 years of lease costs on them.
dad: Those Chinese!! I can't believe it! Obama's weak!!! GRRR!
me: Ugh. Well, on the plus side I guess this means Communism really DOES work. Looks like we were on the wrong side of that Cold War thing, huh?
dad: Shut up boy.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.