News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Google/Apple and drones

Started by The Johnny, June 21, 2012, 12:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/854785.html

For their digital mapping projects, the companies of Silicon Valley have drones that can capture aerial images of objects as small as 10cm; they are alerted for violations to privacy

So the monopoly of privacy infringement is supposed to be held by the government? k.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Well, to be fair, if half the stuff I've heard about the NSA's joint ventures with the NGA and NRO are true, being able to pick up 10cm size objects is hardly impressive... the ones they put up in space 30 years ago have a 30cm resolution level.

I don't think the government is going to feel especially threatened by Apple and Google's prowess in this field.

Incidentally, Google is doing a LOT of contracted work for the Obama administration nowadays.

The Johnny

I think this article is based off of a Daily Mail one, but these assholes dont make exact references nor link...

Supposedly there's a threat to legal action by the Fed, if they continue to use this technology.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Well, "based on research by the Daily Mail" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

The idea that they might face legal action over this isn't entirely surprising, though.  The NSA recently declared that telling Americans the extent of their spying operations would be a violation of their privacy.  So, they do care about privacy....just not in the sense that everyone else understands the term.

(or, as you say, they're protecting their monopoly.  One or the other)

The Johnny

Well, hiding the extent of practices and scope of influence of legislation seems to be a trend with the government... i mean, its something ive noticed lately, but i could imagine its something that has progressed in the last 50 years...

BTW Cain, imma send you a PM, i have a request i hope you can help with

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

OK.  If it's about your lizard friend, I've already given some advice on the other forum.  If not, I'll be around....got some cleaning to do, but I'll be nearby.

The Johnny

No, lizard friend is just for fun.

This is about some academic work im doing, which goes beyond what i normally work with.

-B.F. Skinner