News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Martin mcguinness to meet with queen elizabeth and shake hands

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 22, 2012, 08:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

But the fact that the script has been written in the first place is promising.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

I'll admit to knot knowing fuck-all about the intricacies of Irish politics, but I do know that if I was Martin McGuinness the only reason I'd shake hands with the queen would be because I had just shat myself and dragged my hand right through it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Well the ira has more or less abandoned paramilitarism in favor of the political process. Maybe this is supposed to show that sinn feins serious about it. Or it could also be damage control.

Cain and faust would probably be able to shed some more light on this than i can.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 22, 2012, 09:13:17 PM
I'll admit to knot knowing fuck-all about the intricacies of Irish politics, but I do know that if I was Martin McGuinness the only reason I'd shake hands with the queen would be because I had just shat myself and dragged my hand right through it.

I hope for your sake that you won't being going to Blighty anytime soon.

Because that old woman would beat you stupid before you even saw it coming.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well, I suppose this will make abandoning absenteeism in 2015 a little bit easier.

Cain

I mean, how will all those top Sinn Fein politicians be able to milk the system on the paltry allowances of MLAs?  It's only as an MP you can really steal.

Nephew Twiddleton

Cain

Sinn Fein refuse to sit in Parliament because it means swearing an oath to the Queen.  Party policy is that the 16 Northern Ireland MPs also get to sit in the Irish Parliament.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah. Great way to get shit done. I take it thats going to be disallowed in 2 years?

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 22, 2012, 08:26:18 PM
Quote from: Twiddle Recall on June 22, 2012, 08:23:54 PM
Cant type accent marks. Fianna fail loosely translates as soldiers of destiny. Theyre center right. Its pronounces kinda like feena fawl

Doesn't matter.  This is America, so you speak American.  "The Party of Fail" will never falter!

American is to language as monopoly money is to real money. Though with the latter I understand you Americans are trying erode that distinction too.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: Twiddle Recall on June 22, 2012, 09:16:16 PM
Well the ira has more or less abandoned paramilitarism in favor of the political process. Maybe this is supposed to show that sinn feins serious about it. Or it could also be damage control.

Cain and faust would probably be able to shed some more light on this than i can.

There are a lot of schisms now. The paramilitary are regarded more as terrorists then political.

Also as to the queen, she is the only notable English figure to apologise for the Irish occupation, only the dumbest of our nationalistic crowd dislike her.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Twiddle Recall on June 22, 2012, 11:05:50 PM
Ah. Great way to get shit done. I take it thats going to be disallowed in 2 years?

Don't know.  But if they're shaking hands with her now, it will probably be easier to justify sitting in Westminster further down the road.

Nephew Twiddleton

It also doesnt really make sense to dislike the queen since shes not much more than a figurehead.

Im also guessing that if the ira splinter groups are more and more regarded as terrorists then sinn fein would eventually have to sit in parliament to at least look relevant. In that light i can see why sf is making this move.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 22, 2012, 10:25:59 PM
Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 22, 2012, 09:13:17 PM

I hope for your sake that you won't being going to Blighty anytime soon.

Because that old woman would beat you stupid before you even saw it coming.

Oh, I have nothing against the queen. In fact, I'd kind of like to hit that.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"