News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Hey, Kai...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 26, 2012, 12:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

"According to the song, Rudolph's nose is shiny, which means it reflects rather than emits light. Useless for navigating fog."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Did he actually say that? :lulz: I love that man.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

It works the same way they can call Santa Clause a "jolly old elf" and "the spirit of giving" yet picture him as a six foot four fatass Coca-ColaTM shill.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 12:49:52 AM
"According to the song, Rudolph's nose is shiny, which means it reflects rather than emits light. Useless for navigating fog."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

It's true. But also says "you could even say it glowed". So, the nose not only reflected light, it emitted light. Thereby being useful both in bright sun and in fog.

Also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDLrwwOxnaA
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 02:39:55 AM
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

It's true. But also says "you could even say it glowed". So, the nose not only reflected light, it emitted light. Thereby being useful both in bright sun and in fog.

Also,

It states that his nose IS shiny, and COMPARES it to a glowing object.

Also, that video kicks ass.  Neil deGrasse Tyson is a fucking TITAN.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 02:47:29 AM
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

Emphasized for truth.

Kai

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

Let's consult the relevant lines, here:

Rudolf the red nosed reindeer/
had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it
you could even say it glowed.

The first observation is, indeed of reflectivity, but on closer scrutiny, it has some low level of bioluminescence. Many such natural lights are barely discernable under less than idea conditions. The blue ghost firefly (Phausis reticulata) has a very dim yet continuous light, not at all visible during twilight but spectacularly visible under dark conditions, especially in fog, where they look like will 'o the wisps. Such bioluminescent organs are reflective under normal lighting conditions.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 03:09:49 AM
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it

The first observation is, indeed of reflectivity, but on closer scrutiny, it has some low level of bioluminescence. Many such natural lights are barely discernable under less than idea conditions. The blue ghost firefly (Phausis reticulata) has a very dim yet continuous light, not at all visible during twilight but spectacularly visible under dark conditions, especially in fog, where they look like will 'o the wisps. Such bioluminescent organs are reflective under normal lighting conditions.

My ass is never reflective, but it glows.  Oh, yes.

Richter

We can infer, then, that while Rudolph's nose utilizes and re-directs Holy Light tm, but is not actually a generating source.  These verses were added after a certain red triplane buzzed Santa's shop screaming about heretics. 
Nobody ever wrote the song "Don't argue theology with a drunken Baron" though.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Anna Mae Bollocks

-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it

But does a blue ghost firefly emit enough light to act as a guide in dense fog and/or blizzard conditions?  :fap:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Kai

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 26, 2012, 06:41:15 PM
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it

But does a blue ghost firefly emit enough light to act as a guide in dense fog and/or blizzard conditions?  :fap:

No, but they are decidedly /smaller/ than a reindeer's nose.

Exhibit 1:

Phausis reticulata, ventral view. 5-8 mm long. Note the shiny (yet not luminous) organ on the abdomen.

Exhibit 2:

Reindeer nose, anterior view. ~2-3 cm. Note: not Rudolf.

As you can see, the size of a reindeer's nose is several times that of a blue ghost firefly, not to mention only a small portion of that firefly is bioluminescent. QED.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 08:24:22 PM
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it

Exhibit 1:

Phausis reticulata, ventral view. 5-8 mm long. Note the shiny (yet not luminous) organ on the abdomen.

Exhibit 2:

As you can see, the size of a reindeer's nose is several times that of a blue ghost firefly, not to mention only a small portion of that firefly is bioluminescent. QED.

Yes, but the common firefly flies much slower than a reindeer, so perhaps the firefly CAN navigate in fog.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 08:37:21 PM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 08:24:22 PM
-Neil deGrasse Tyson

Also,

had a very shiny nose
and if you ever saw it

Exhibit 1:

Exhibit 2:

Yes, but the common firefly flies much slower than a reindeer, so perhaps the firefly CAN navigate in fog.

Reindeer can't fly. Note the complete lack of reference to flight in the lyrics.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 09:17:11 PM
Reindeer can't fly. Note the complete lack of reference to flight in the lyrics.

When I get home tonight, I will offer a mathematical proof of my position.  They fly, and faster than a firefly.

Epimetheus

Another relevant line y'all are forgetting is within Santa's request:

"Rudolph, with your nose so bright..."

Rudolph's nose is not only shiny, and SEEMS to glow, but is BRIGHT, which specifically means giving off light.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS