News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Hey, Kai...

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 26, 2012, 12:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Brightness is relative. If you live at the North Pole and it's a few days after the winter solstice, ANY source of even the tiniest bit of light is going to seem bright, even if it's just Rudolf's nose reflecting the starlight.

But if it's foggy when they get to the Falklands, all of a sudden Santa's in a heap of trouble.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Epimetheus on June 26, 2012, 09:35:44 PM
Another relevant line y'all are forgetting is within Santa's request:

"Rudolph, with your nose so bright..."

Rudolph's nose is not only shiny, and SEEMS to glow, but is BRIGHT, which specifically means giving off light.

No, while that verse supports my position, it is irrelevant because reflected light can be bright. e.g. glare from water, etc.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on June 26, 2012, 10:13:58 PM
Brightness is relative. If you live at the North Pole and it's a few days after the winter solstice, ANY source of even the tiniest bit of light is going to seem bright, even if it's just Rudolf's nose reflecting the starlight.

But if it's foggy when they get to the Falklands, all of a sudden Santa's in a heap of trouble.

Indeed. But perhaps there was only fog around the Pole. The poem is unclear. What /is/ clear, is that human settlement increases as one approaches 45N, so city lights would be far more helpful for navigation by that point.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

tyrannosaurus vex

Also, brightness depends on visible wavelengths. Since Santa is referred to as an "Elf," it is possible that his eyes are sensitive to wavelengths of light that Human eyes cannot detect - perhaps Rudolph's nose is merely "shiny" by Human standards, but does actually emit a powerful light in Elf-compatible frequencies.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Rudolph's nose is not only shiny, and SEEMS to glow, but is BRIGHT, which specifically means giving off light.

Subjective opinion.  The omniscient narrator only offered the shiny part as stated fact.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: v3x on June 26, 2012, 10:34:51 PM

Also, brightness depends on visible wavelengths. Since Santa is referred to as an "Elf," it is possible that his eyes are sensitive to wavelengths of light that Human eyes cannot detect - perhaps Rudolph's nose is merely "shiny" by Human standards, but does actually emit a powerful light in Elf-compatible frequencies.

Ultraviolet, you mean? That would suggest why the glow was only visible under close scrutiny.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 09:23:27 PM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 09:17:11 PM
Reindeer can't fly. Note the complete lack of reference to flight in the lyrics.

When I get home tonight, I will offer a mathematical proof of my position.  They fly, and faster than a firefly.

/Catapulted/ is not flight.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 10:39:12 PM

Ultraviolet, you mean? That would suggest why the glow was only visible under close scrutiny.

Reindeer can't fly. Note the complete lack of reference to flight in the lyrics.

When I get home tonight, I will offer a mathematical proof of my position.  They fly, and faster than a firefly.

Jumping off of a cliff, however, IS.  It is not efficient flight, nor are we discussing the technical difficulties presented in landing, but there would be a slope that was bounded, so it's flight.

So, the firefly maxes out at about 8KM/hour.

The reindeer accelerates at 9.8 M/S^2, until terminal velocity (or the base of the cliff) is reached.

Reindeer are faster fliers.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, the path of a baseball is considered "flight".  If you had a big enough bat...

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 10:42:48 PM

Jumping off of a cliff, however, IS.  It is not efficient flight, nor are we discussing the technical difficulties presented in landing, but there would be a slope that was bounded, so it's flight.

The reindeer accelerates at 9.8 M/S^2, until terminal velocity (or the base of the cliff) is reached.

This is still irrelevant. Light travels at C. The only thing that matters is if Rudolf's nose is luminous enough to avoid obstacles in heavy fog at that speed. It would seem, if you measure the volume of the nose and relevant surface area, the luminosity is plenty allowing for that increased speed.

Epimetheus

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 10:31:11 PM

No, while that verse supports my position, it is irrelevant because reflected light can be bright. e.g. glare from water, etc.

True, I was going by the dictionary definition of bright rather than the scientific use.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 10:39:05 PM

Subjective opinion.  The omniscient narrator only offered the shiny part as stated fact.

This I realized, but thought I'd say it anyway. :lol:
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Kai

Roger is just upset because after Rudolf returned from the Great Foggy Ride and was lauded as a hero, no one wanted to play reindeer games with the guy who claimed Rudolf's nose was only reflective, not luminous.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 10:53:47 PM
Roger is just upset because after Rudolf returned from the Great Foggy Ride and was lauded as a hero, no one wanted to play reindeer games with the guy who claimed Rudolf's nose was only reflective, not luminous.

Neil deGrasse Tyson would kill them with one punch, if they tried that shit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 10:48:13 PM

This is still irrelevant. Light travels at C. The only thing that matters is if Rudolf's nose is luminous enough to avoid obstacles in heavy fog at that speed. It would seem, if you measure the volume of the nose and relevant surface area, the luminosity is plenty allowing for that increased speed.

Even IF his nose glowed, it would cause other, insurmountable problems:

1.  If it was bright enough, Rudolf would go blind.
2.  Diffused light reflects back at you in fog, meaning they'd be worse off than if they had nothing, crash into a mountain, and die.
3.  At the speeds necessary to maintain flight with fat guy and a billion toys in the sled, they would "overdrive the headlights".  Mountain, death.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 26, 2012, 11:46:29 PM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 26, 2012, 10:48:13 PM

Even IF his nose glowed, it would cause other, insurmountable problems:

1.  If it was bright enough, Rudolf would go blind.
2.  Diffused light reflects back at you in fog, meaning they'd be worse off than if they had nothing, crash into a mountain, and die.
3.  At the speeds necessary to maintain flight with fat guy and a billion toys in the sled, they would "overdrive the headlights".  Mountain, death.

Pardon the intrusion, Roger, but your understanding of Santanic Physics seems somewhat lacking. To your points:

1. There is no scientific evidence that a Flying Reindeer's eyes are damaged by a Flying Reindeer's ultra-bright bioluminescent nose. While your assertion here may be accurate, the burden of proof is on you.

2. This is true, except for points raised in Point 3.

3. While this is true for normal objects under normal conditions, there is no evidence that they apply to Santa. For example, since no one has ever filmed, photographed, or reliably been known to have witnessed Santa's flight, it is reasonable to assume that during his commute, Santa magically transforms to the size of an atom or smaller, along with his cargo. At this size, not only would the issue of fog become moot, but his smaller size and mass would allow for much greater speeds, possibly eliminating the "How does one jolly fat guy fit down every chimney on earth in one night" conundrum. Rudolph's bioluminescence in this scenario is obviously a metaphor for a kind of subspace warp field allowing the change in size, however, which may be another can of worms.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Proof as earlier promised: