News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

What's your specialt(y/ies)?

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, June 27, 2012, 08:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2012, 01:01:44 AM
Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on June 28, 2012, 08:50:32 PM
The cain is not a one trick pony. Of course you can.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2012, 08:51:50 PM
Sure.  You do other stuff.

Like torment students, which is to my mind the best use of a college degree that can be reasonably expected from anyone.

Nope.  I am PD's "politics" person.  "Everyone" knows it, apparently.  I've been pigeonholed into that role and, apart from education, I bet you not one person here could name something I have any special knowledge or experience of.

Speciality is overrated, anyway.  Most "professionals" outside of carefully bounded disciplines (chess, fire rescue, medical professionals) are either no better or only very slightly better than the average reader of the New York Times when it comes to making predictions.  Which is depressing in and of itself, given how fucking awful so many NYT articles and op-eds are.

Psychology as applied to war, terrorism and trolling. You made a Nigerian spammer beg you to leave him alone once.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 02, 2012, 01:01:44 AM
Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on June 28, 2012, 08:50:32 PM
The cain is not a one trick pony. Of course you can.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2012, 08:51:50 PM
Sure.  You do other stuff.

Like torment students, which is to my mind the best use of a college degree that can be reasonably expected from anyone.

Nope.  I am PD's "politics" person.  "Everyone" knows it, apparently.  I've been pigeonholed into that role and, apart from education, I bet you not one person here could name something I have any special knowledge or experience of.

Speciality is overrated, anyway.  Most "professionals" outside of carefully bounded disciplines (chess, fire rescue, medical professionals) are either no better or only very slightly better than the average reader of the New York Times when it comes to making predictions.  Which is depressing in and of itself, given how fucking awful so many NYT articles and op-eds are.

Pretty sure you have in-depth special knowledge of dealing with impudent teenage boarding students, take-out foods, working in restaurants for asshole crime-connected bosses, and, for some reason, foreign blonde teachers of various disciplines. :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: E.O.T. on June 28, 2012, 10:46:48 PM

DAILY DISTRACTIONS

and wasting time. other than that, i have no skills what are useful on this forum.

Your comparative religions expertise and peculiar obsession with gang psychology would probably make for some insightful, if unconventional, additions.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Cain, I'd also add to your list: Rationality, Philosophy (classical), Philosophy (post-modern), writing, Economics, working the front door at dodgy pubs, and not taking shit from anyone.

Even if it's not your "specialty", you know more about that shit than the majority of people here. Especially me.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Salty

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 02, 2012, 01:52:34 PM
Cain, I'd also add to your list: Rationality, Philosophy (classical), Philosophy (post-modern), writing, Economics, working the front door at dodgy pubs, and not taking shit from anyone.

Even if it's not your "specialty", you know more about that shit than the majority of people here. Especially me.

I gave this some thought and I'm reasonable certain Cain is a good person to ask about:
Surviving (I dunno about the wild, but definitely in London)
Making cheap tasty food (though I suppose that could go under the first one)
Climbing things, right? You like to climb. Or have done? Yes, I think so.
Handling people, dealing with stupid one's effectively.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Forsooth

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Forsooth on July 02, 2012, 06:08:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 02, 2012, 03:16:05 PM
Stress management.

more like Tactical and Strategic Stress Redeployment

LISTEN, FUCKER, I AM THE MOST RELAXED AND SERENE MOTHERFUCKER THAT EVER LIVED, AND IF THAT BUDDHA JACKASS SAYS OTHERWISE, YOU LET ME KNOW, BECAUSE I'VE GOT A SIZE 12 ENGINEER BOOT THAT HE CAN RUB THROUGH HIS FAT-ASS BELLY AFTER I SHOVE IT UP HIS ASS!

Salty

I must say, Roger's proven method of yelling the truth into being as made me the calm, gentle creature I am today.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on July 02, 2012, 06:11:26 PM
I must say, Roger's proven method of yelling the truth into being as made me the calm, gentle creature I am today.

Truth does not whisper.  It bellows...It has to, because nobody fucking listens.

Salty

I'm not sure I'm a good resource for very much that can't be gotten to otherwise.

I'm very good with people, especially IRL. I can talk to nearly anyone about anything for as long as is required. This time is expanded if I am allowed to swear and be angry. But I can talkandtalkandtalk until my throat cannot actually take it anymore (true story).

I'm also very good at public speaking and giving presentations.

I know a lot about massage, muscles, etc. But there is still a whole lot I don't know.

I have away with words, but I'm better at saying them than writing them.

Parenting. I think I have a knack. I see kids in the store screaming and screaming and my kid just looks at them like "WTF, dude? Chill out." He's very well behaved. That shit does not just happen on it's own.

(BTW, Nigel is also very good at this. No one removed food from her fridge without asking. And they were so excited when she said, "Sure." Later when I told her about she was like, "Bwuh?" {and Roger, well, he clearly taught his kids how to make the world a better place in their own special, sometimes painful way, and for this we can only thank him})

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on July 02, 2012, 06:19:30 PM
{and Roger, well, he clearly taught his kids how to make the world a better place in their own special, sometimes painful way, and for this we can only thank him})

Until they were 5, I lied to them about everything, and spanked them if they misbehaved.

After they were 5, I told them the unvarnished truth about everything, and laughed at them when they misbehaved.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Cain, besides what other people have mentioned, I believe you're a black belt, a good dancer, knowledgeable about scotch, can outmaneuver rabid dogs like nobody's business, and I'm pretty sure you climb mountains.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A