News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

PDCOM 2.0: THE NEXT LEVEL

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, June 27, 2012, 11:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: v3x on August 02, 2012, 06:58:31 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 02, 2012, 06:56:44 PM
Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on August 02, 2012, 06:50:17 PM
Maybe we should have a PDCOM 1.0 first.

Just saying.

:D

We do have... its dysfunctional, but it exists. All this will do is make a blogish front end for all those nice rants, essays, political commentaries etc. If people still don't post, we're no worse off... if they do, it provides a portal with no additional work on the part of the poster.

The worst it can do is display the best of old posts as a blog kinda thing... the best it can do is inspire posts, get some interest from outsiders and highlight some of our kickass writings... all without needing additional interfaces, management etc.

2cents: I hope it's not in "endless single column" format, or at least it's fairly easy to move beyond that format when we want to.

SMF splits things up into "Categories->Boards->Topics->Messages'. We're grabbing content from one Category. We select the Boards as 'Categrories' for the aggregator/blog/portal/thingy. We select authors from the first message in all topics as "Authors". We select the first message in all topics as "Articles"

At this time, the code spits out a menu to select by author, category or the default which is all articles from that board. We can show one or more articles per page with pagination at the bottom < 1 2 3 > kinda thing (as it works right now), or we could split the content across columns... format it in some other new way... whatever we want basically.

The articles are in an indexed array based on a limit (number of articles per page) and a limit start point (page 1,2,3 etc). We can manipulate those in whatever crazy way the template wants to.

The template I threw together for testing has a left menu for authors, right menu for categories and displays two posts per page in the center... but thats cause I was focused on function ;-)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on August 02, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 02, 2012, 06:56:44 PM
We do have... its dysfunctional, but it exists.

It's a fucking morgue.

Portal it up all you like.  Nobody's going to read it.

Is there a particular reason why you keep repeating this mantra just about every other day now?

Because I don't know about anybody else but the effect it has on me is that it really really makes me want to contribute less? Especially doing it in a thread where people are actually working together on making this site nicer. Because hey, something that gets people enthusiastic, Rat's been PMing me with all sorts of bits of code (sorry that I reallyhaven't had time yet to join in on it, Rat) and this thing is actually taking off and you know what? Let's take a huge steaming dump of shit on it! Never mind! This thread is now about how PD is dead and everything is futile and people reading and posting about the wrong things or whatever it is.

And it's not even true! I've been reading and replying to all sorts of interesting stuff on PD today and there's a fuckton of interesting threads I still have to read.

As is the other part! "Portaling it up" will put those threads and topics that are not boring or trivial or whatever the hell the problem is with threads about cake or reggae into the spotlight and more people will read them. And I'm not really sure why you claim otherwise, while on the *other* hand you're complaining the reason they apparently don't get read enough because those awful threads about cake are taking all the spotlight (apparently) ... :?

Oh and did I mention, yes I think I mentioned it before, that every time you post something like that it feels like a personal insult and really I wouldn't know in what other way to take it?

Should we maybe make an UNLIMITED "THE BOARD IS DED" REPOSITORY thread?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 02, 2012, 09:41:45 PM

You know, I had a pretty reasoned response until I came to this line.

But instead, I'll just fuck off and let you visit an empty board once a month or whatever it is.

Later, asshole.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

It would be cool if there was a way to run PD through Flipboard to have that kind of layout.

GD,
Loves him the Flipboard.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Faust

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on August 02, 2012, 11:50:11 PM

But instead, I'll just fuck off and let you visit an empty board once a month or whatever it is.

Later, asshole.

Playing around with code gives us a fun project to do which gives us the same pleasure as it does you to write a rant.
Rat has put a lot of work into this over the last couple of weeks, It is very disheartening to do that and then be told there is no worth in it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on August 03, 2012, 01:48:01 PM
Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on August 02, 2012, 11:50:11 PM

Later, asshole.

Playing around with code gives us a fun project to do which gives us the same pleasure as it does you to write a rant.
Rat has put a lot of work into this over the last couple of weeks, It is very disheartening to do that and then be told there is no worth in it.

1.  I'm a bad person.

2.  Rat's a big boy.  He'll be fine.  I never at any point said to stop doing it or not do it.

3.  It is also disheartening to puke out a rant, and then get 20-50 views and 3 comments.  But I continue, and Rat is no less a rock n roller than I am.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Though it's not an ideal situation, I think it would be preferrable for 50 people to read it and not respond (for whatever reason (and there are many, as I'm sure we'll find out downthread)), then for no one to read it at all.

And I think Rat's idea would ensure that the rant wouldn't sink to the bottom of the board.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 03, 2012, 02:27:02 PM
Though it's not an ideal situation, I think it would be preferrable for 50 people to read it and not respond (for whatever reason (and there are many, as I'm sure we'll find out downthread)), then for no one to read it at all.

And I think Rat's idea would ensure that the rant wouldn't sink to the bottom of the board.

I am not arguing against Rat's idea, not in the slightest.

LMNO

I know, I was more thinking along the lines of, "hey, someone's reading it, at least".

It would really suck if I wrote a rant with less than five views.  To have 50 people read it, regardless of comment, is pretty good for a board population of this size, I'd say.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Actually, I think Roger's main point is right. If no one is producing cool shit, then it doesn't matter what sort of interface we create. We have a 'people' problem, not a 'technical' one and its difficult, if not impossible, to solve people problems with technology.

Mostly, I got a bit of a bug about the idea and wanted to see if I could make it work, regardless of its value to the future of PD.com. Now that it works, once we make it pretty and upload it, I'd like to think it will accomplish one good thing. It will take the "Best of" rants, essays etc and make them easily available to anyone who happens to hit our portal/blog/aggregator thingy. Maybe the board will die, but even so, it would be leaving behind a legacy of awesome content. At the very least, I hope this will provide a useful interface for Eris to blow a few minds with that content. At best, maybe it will inspire some new blood.

And either way I rolled a natural 20 on Technical Wizardry and my ego is enjoying itself  :lulz:

tyrannosaurus vex

Puking out a rant and getting 25 views and 3 comments is disheartening. That's what the PD2 project is intended to fix, or at least help with.

I don't think anyone here is less on board with modern Discordian thought than they ever have been, but PD is becoming more and more of an echo chamber for that thought. Most rants are preaching to the choir, frankly. The intention of this idea isn't to transform PD into anything that it isn't already -- a clearinghouse for those rants and our collective philosophies -- but to give us a platform from which it is easier to disseminate that material to a wider audience.

That's what I'm hoping this will evolve into, anyway. Not just rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship, but installing a new engine, or whatever else you want to do with that metaphor.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

So speaking of that, anyone got thoughts on what this interface should look like? If anyone wants a copy of the CSS and template I threw together, I can send it via email, just PM me.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 03, 2012, 05:08:59 PM
So speaking of that, anyone got thoughts on what this interface should look like? If anyone wants a copy of the CSS and template I threw together, I can send it via email, just PM me.

I really think a "news-site-esque" format would serve the purpose better than a blog type interface. Something that looks modern but professional - not suit and tie professional, but "we're doing this on purpose" professional. Something that doesn't scream "fringe group" or "Internet amateurs" right away. Something that looks established, like this doesn't exist only online, it's just the online arm of something that exists in the real world -- because that's what it is.

I realize none of that is helpful.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

So speaking of that, anyone got thoughts on what this interface should look like?

Newsy as opposed to blog-like.

Room for comments, as in Newsweek's layout?  I'm on the fence about this. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on August 03, 2012, 05:47:41 PM
So speaking of that, anyone got thoughts on what this interface should look like?

Newsy as opposed to blog-like.

Room for comments, as in Newsweek's layout?  I'm on the fence about this.

Comment link takes the user to the thread here. Hopefully it will drive new users.