News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

The painfully inevitable ACA discussion thread

Started by Cain, June 28, 2012, 11:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 28, 2012, 10:00:30 PM
Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 28, 2012, 09:31:50 PM
I've heard from other people that if you can't pay, you can still get health insurance. Is this true?

Medicaid still exists, and apparently you can petition for an economic hardship exemption. I'm gonna check to see what it says regarding students.

Nephew Twiddleton

In massachusetts if youre uninsured you dont get your tax refund. I imagine it will work similarly nationwide.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 28, 2012, 10:05:57 PM
I've heard from other people that if you can't pay, you can still get health insurance. Is this true?

Medicaid still exists, and apparently you can petition for an economic hardship exemption. I'm gonna check to see what it says regarding students.

Yessir, you can take time off from your minimum wage job(s) to go wrangle with exemption forms.

Yay!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2012, 10:03:14 PM

If you can't pay, they "tax" you, and you get health care.  From what I understand.

The skinny:  You pay anyway.

Okay. How is that different than Canada?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 28, 2012, 10:09:45 PM

If you can't pay, they "tax" you, and you get health care.  From what I understand.

If you're broke in Canada, they don't fine ("tax") you for it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

There's also a cap on percentage of income based off the poverty level.

The Good Reverend Roger

As an aside, the attorney general of the United States has just been charged with criminal contempt of congress.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2012, 10:10:27 PM

So, I guess this needs to be revised, over time, so it eventually is in line with the Canadian model. It may take decades, but I have a feeling it can be done.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on June 28, 2012, 10:15:40 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 28, 2012, 10:10:27 PM

So, I guess this needs to be revised, over time, so it eventually is in line with the Canadian model. It may take decades, but I have a feeling it can be done.

Um, just as soon as you and I have the lobbying power of the insurance companies, everything will fall right into line.

LMNO

Kai, you may be able to get in on a group plan through your university, which should be cheaper than getting it on your own.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 28, 2012, 10:32:19 PM
Kai, you may be able to get in on a group plan through your university, which should be cheaper than getting it on your own.

That was my plan. Generally, graduate students get pretty good deals and good coverage. From what I've seen of this university so far, it should be no problem.

tyrannosaurus vex

Nothing about the ACA is going to change healthcare. It was written by insurance companies, so we know that its main purpose is to increase the number of people they are able to fuck. If more people, as a minor side effect, get to consume more pharmaceuticals as a result of that, then that's a necessary evil.

That is why the law was written.

But the law was enacted in order to create a gigantic legal diving board from which Washington can now spring into ever deeper pits of horse shit. They now have the power to tax you punitively as Roger mentioned, which means, at least from a legal perspective, they can now tell you to do anything they want, and if you "choose not to," they can simply tax you into debtors' prisons. OH GOOD.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

You also can't be denied for pre existing, nor can you be dropped when you get sick. Plus, ins cos have to use a percentage of profits towards preventative care.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on June 28, 2012, 11:21:36 PM
You also can't be denied for pre existing, nor can you be dropped when you get sick. Plus, ins cos have to use a percentage of profits towards preventative care.

You just wait until they start using the loopholes.

And while you can't be denied for a pre-existing condition, if you are considered to have an illness in progress, you can be moved to the "high risk" queue and have to purchase much more expensive insurance.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Juana

Also, you can stay on your parents' plan until you're 26, which is a fucking godsend.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."