News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Quote from: E.O.T. on July 01, 2012, 09:26:55 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 01, 2012, 09:21:56 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 01, 2012, 03:08:39 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 01, 2012, 07:21:54 AM
The New England area is fairly target rich, and if you're "serious" about interviews, I'd be willing to give you a couple of hours.

Yeah, I'm really taking this on as project that I'm serious about. I want to come out the other side with something engaging, entertaining and accessible  that explains what Discordia authentically means to today's Discordians. I would really appreciate you taking the time.

Bet you can get a grant for this.

WOULDN'T

it be easier to do this by way of email? however, if you've got the cash to globetrot for this cause, take me with you!

Pope Oldboy Floats already released a series of Discordian interviews by distance in the work 'voices of chaos' which is really good in parts (great interview with Adam Gorightly starts it off). I want to do something a bit different with a journey piece.

I'm not where I want to be in terms of where I live, career, life etc and I really wanted to inject myself into something I'm really passionate about, and travel and Discordia really meet that description. I can't travel for travel sake; for some reason it feels really inorganic, so I want to use my travel as a means to produce high quality work.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: E.O.T. on July 01, 2012, 09:28:46 PM

HOW ABOUT

a tv miniseries version of interviews and such? discordlandia?

The original concept was a series of talking heads interviews discussing various aspects of Discordia, cut and put into a small series of freely released films. My strength though is writing, and I think a written product at the end would be more feasable and possibly easier to find publishing interest in.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 01, 2012, 10:12:22 PM
DOC. GRANT. KICKSTARTER. INDEPENDENT LENS (or something of that nature).

Also, accomodations suck here but would definitely hang and talk if you have the misfortune to find yourself passing through Texas.

I'd be super keen to drop in to Texas. There's friends of the family who live in Arazona so I might end there anyway. What's a Doc? I'm looking into setting up a Kickstarter. I'll look up independent lens too, havent heard of that.

The Johnny

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 01, 2012, 11:44:37 PM
Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 01, 2012, 07:31:21 PM

Dingo, how long until you take the trip?

Would you be open to suggestions?

Because im thinking that semi-open style interviews could provide the best material and it could even be analyzed in a qualitative manner which id be willing to do, and if you manage to make at least 8 interviews this could really become a nice project.

I'm super open to suggestions.

I was thinking for interviews to have a recorder taking things down as I go, which would work well for both discussions in meatups and in one on one discussions. I have been playing with the idea of usig a camcorder but I'm worried that wouldn't serve very well in a group situation.

What do you mean by semi-open style? I'm interested in the idea of analysing in a qualitative style but I'm not sure at this stage what that would look like. And if you're interested in this project and willing to be part of it, I'm super super passionate about getting involvement from anyone keen to play along.

As far as film goes, to film 8 interviews seems to me to be really doable.

Well, the semi-open interview consists of only having "guideline" questions of the main topics you don't want to forget to engage, ive done interviews that only had one guideline question, or others where there where 10 guideline questions... the premise behind not having a solid script and instead having guides is because one is to allow the interviewee to lead the interview to wherever they think is relevant, not what you originally thought was relevant when you designed the questions... it makes for a greater participation in the exchange from the part of the interviewee. The appropiate lenght of each session should be ranging between at least 30 minutes to at most an hour and a half (although depending on what is being asked and the dynamic that ensues, there can be several interviews per person)

The method consists of audio recording the interview and then transcribing it to text, when thereby it is analyzed.

But this is not so simple... the questions themselves arent just aces from your sleeve, one is supposed to think of what one wishes to research,  lookup background research or theory that is already existing in the subject and then think of the questions that would be more appropiate to research it.

Regarding the analysis, it is made with the material from the interviews, engaging it with theory and authors that are relevant to what comes up.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 02, 2012, 12:04:03 AM

Also, accomodations suck here but would definitely hang and talk if you have the misfortune to find yourself passing through Texas.

I'd be super keen to drop in to Texas. There's friends of the family who live in Arazona so I might end there anyway. What's a Doc? I'm looking into setting up a Kickstarter. I'll look up independent lens too, havent heard of that.

Documentary. I'm a lazy typist.

Independent Lens is a public television show that broadcasts indie films. I've seen some odd ones on it, it's not out of the question that they might run something like this.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Johnny

So you really need to think hard about what is it about discordians that you want to research.

Ideology?

How discordia ties in with their life?

What does it mean to be a discordian?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 02, 2012, 03:00:54 AM
So you really need to think hard about what is it about discordians that you want to research.

Ideology?

How discordia ties in with their life?

What does it mean to be a discordian?

It's cool to have that to start.

I've seen a lot of great stuff start with one aim and turn into something else along the way, though. Which is even cooler, documenting how that happens.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Johnny

No matter how well prepared is the researcher, there is always interesting unplanned things that show up, given that he/she is willing to listen and be open to it.

That doesnt mean the prep work shouldnt be done do  :lol:

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

HOW ABOUT

There's grant money for documentaries out there. My ex did one in Venezuela.

A virtually unheard-of "joke" cult that's lasted for 50+ years? In like Flynn. I can hear the grant money cha-ching from here. And even if the goal is written stories, video documentation is a fantastic idea.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

That's great Nyx. I'm developing the kinds of questions I'd like to look into at the moment. It's fascinating seeing that process articulated, that's great. Yeah I think I really want to have a primrary focus on 'living, breathing Discordia', the people who are actively part of the community right now. I'm looming at finding more about using the 'cloud' technology so I can store the video footage remoter and share it more simply (especially if there's unfeasable amounts of it).

I'm not 100% sure where I should go in terms of research bit probably the work on Kerry Thornley is a good place to start, and get a bit of an understanding of the time and place for the founders, RAW etc. Also maybe worth looking into some general theology and whatever serious work has been done on parody religions.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 02, 2012, 02:51:28 AM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 02, 2012, 12:04:03 AM

Documentary. I'm a lazy typist.

Independent Lens is a public television show that broadcasts indie films. I've seen some odd ones on it, it's not out of the question that they might run something like this.

Yeah thanks. I really need to do some solid research on finding out who could be interested in the product once it's created.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 02, 2012, 03:55:30 AM

HOW ABOUT

There's grant money for documentaries out there. My ex did one in Venezuela.

A virtually unheard-of "joke" cult that's lasted for 50+ years? In like Flynn. I can hear the grant money cha-ching from here. And even if the goal is written stories, video documentation is a fantastic idea.

Imma go grant hunting this weekend. There's the Australian Film Commission, wonder who else is accessible.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I'm pretty sure me and Payne could put you up if you come to the South Coast of the UK.

The Johnny

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 02, 2012, 10:45:12 AM
That's great Nyx. I'm developing the kinds of questions I'd like to look into at the moment. It's fascinating seeing that process articulated, that's great. Yeah I think I really want to have a primrary focus on 'living, breathing Discordia', the people who are actively part of the community right now. I'm looming at finding more about using the 'cloud' technology so I can store the video footage remoter and share it more simply (especially if there's unfeasable amounts of it).

I'm not 100% sure where I should go in terms of research bit probably the work on Kerry Thornley is a good place to start, and get a bit of an understanding of the time and place for the founders, RAW etc. Also maybe worth looking into some general theology and whatever serious work has been done on parody religions.

Maybe life histories if your intent is to look for the ties between discordia and a persons life?

And for background youd probably need to see how other religions tie in with people's lives to perhaps draw a comparison?

But that also depends... is discordia a religion? (seriously now) or what is it really? Depending on how you conceptualize it, its gonna have a direct impact on the project

-B.F. Skinner

Nephew Twiddleton

Count me in if you make it to either Boston or Providence. I would probably not be able to put you up though, since we don't really have a living room, unless I arranged something with my landlady that you could borrow the use of my room while I stay over at Villager's. No guarantees on that though.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS