News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 02, 2012, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 02, 2012, 03:55:30 AM
Quote from: E.O.T. on July 01, 2012, 09:28:46 PM

HOW ABOUT

a tv miniseries version of interviews and such? discordlandia?

There's grant money for documentaries out there. My ex did one in Venezuela.

A virtually unheard-of "joke" cult that's lasted for 50+ years? In like Flynn. I can hear the grant money cha-ching from here. And even if the goal is written stories, video documentation is a fantastic idea.

Imma go grant hunting this weekend. There's the Australian Film Commission, wonder who else is accessible.

With Screen Australia, you've got to take an angle of Australian culture - maybe a compare and contrast thing between Discord here, and the other spots. They might take more kindly to a mocumentary style (such as "Kenny" and about half the other things they've funded this last decade), which shows Discordians in various parts of the world plotting to overthrow the Australian government, and how much we'd be better off if that happened.

I'm not saying that's what you should do, of course, but just trying to get insight into these fundiing bodies. Also, they have more money for features than doco's.

I'm in NNSW, not too far from Byron, if you're in the area. Happy to assist looking at funding and/or other practical matters if required.

There's also Australia Council, and the state film funding bodies (Film SA, etc.)

Another funding possibility would be our array of wacky conspiracy magazines, like New Dawn, Nexus, and others. Anyway, more thought required.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Pixie on July 02, 2012, 04:34:29 PM
I'm pretty sure me and Payne could put you up if you come to the South Coast of the UK.

That could be phenomonal Pix. I'm plannng to stay in France for a while in the second half of next year and use that as a base for European travel.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 02, 2012, 04:57:15 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 02, 2012, 10:45:12 AM
That's great Nyx. I'm developing the kinds of questions I'd like to look into at the moment. It's fascinating seeing that process articulated, that's great. Yeah I think I really want to have a primrary focus on 'living, breathing Discordia', the people who are actively part of the community right now. I'm looming at finding more about using the 'cloud' technology so I can store the video footage remoter and share it more simply (especially if there's unfeasable amounts of it).

I'm not 100% sure where I should go in terms of research bit probably the work on Kerry Thornley is a good place to start, and get a bit of an understanding of the time and place for the founders, RAW etc. Also maybe worth looking into some general theology and whatever serious work has been done on parody religions.

Maybe life histories if your intent is to look for the ties between discordia and a persons life?

And for background youd probably need to see how other religions tie in with people's lives to perhaps draw a comparison?

But that also depends... is discordia a religion? (seriously now) or what is it really? Depending on how you conceptualize it, its gonna have a direct impact on the project

That's interesting, I'll try to develop a bit of a manifesto that discusses what I want to look at. If possible I'd like to leave Discordia as undefined as possible, but get some clear ideas of what other people define it as.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 02, 2012, 05:02:45 PM
Count me in if you make it to either Boston or Providence. I would probably not be able to put you up though, since we don't really have a living room, unless I arranged something with my landlady that you could borrow the use of my room while I stay over at Villager's. No guarantees on that though.

I'm happy enough to just score some interview time Twid, that's the priority. Don't put yourself out with the accom, I'll find a place.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on July 03, 2012, 07:10:52 AM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 02, 2012, 10:57:34 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 02, 2012, 03:55:30 AM
Quote from: E.O.T. on July 01, 2012, 09:28:46 PM

HOW ABOUT

a tv miniseries version of interviews and such? discordlandia?

There's grant money for documentaries out there. My ex did one in Venezuela.

A virtually unheard-of "joke" cult that's lasted for 50+ years? In like Flynn. I can hear the grant money cha-ching from here. And even if the goal is written stories, video documentation is a fantastic idea.

Imma go grant hunting this weekend. There's the Australian Film Commission, wonder who else is accessible.

With Screen Australia, you've got to take an angle of Australian culture - maybe a compare and contrast thing between Discord here, and the other spots. They might take more kindly to a mocumentary style (such as "Kenny" and about half the other things they've funded this last decade), which shows Discordians in various parts of the world plotting to overthrow the Australian government, and how much we'd be better off if that happened.

I'm not saying that's what you should do, of course, but just trying to get insight into these fundiing bodies. Also, they have more money for features than doco's.

I'm in NNSW, not too far from Byron, if you're in the area. Happy to assist looking at funding and/or other practical matters if required.

There's also Australia Council, and the state film funding bodies (Film SA, etc.)

Another funding possibility would be our array of wacky conspiracy magazines, like New Dawn, Nexus, and others. Anyway, more thought required.

That's some great info DC, cheers. I'll check up some magazines. Even without a grant it could be good to send of some minor pieces as freelance articles.

Placid Dingo

Developing a Kickstarter. What would be a good reward? In no particular order some options I've seen other people pursue include;

A phone call to say thanks
Drawing someone a picture
A copy of the book (this could take a while because my first priority is to get it published by a mainstream publishing house)
A (link to/copy of) other (self-published / yet unpublished) fiction works of mine
A copy of audio work of mine (not the work in question though, audio book of something else)
I will interview you for a blog post (or something)
Connect to you by social networking
I enlist your help in developing another project
I come deliver you a copy of the finished product in person
I list your name on my webpage as a helper

Some of these I like, some I hate but I don't want to prejudice opinions.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 04, 2012, 02:40:59 PM
Developing a Kickstarter. What would be a good reward? In no particular order some options I've seen other people pursue include;

A copy of the book (this could take a while because my first priority is to get it published by a mainstream publishing house)
A (link to/copy of) other (self-published / yet unpublished) fiction works of mine
A copy of audio work of mine (not the work in question though, audio book of something else)

Hrmm.... People like getting stuff but that might also be time consuming. I'd say the best bet is a phone call to say thank you since that can take just a minute or so, but at the same time shows you put effort into thanking the donors. Maybe combine that with listing the name on the webpage. Keep them in mind for other projects.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BabylonHoruv

Let me know if you are in Ohio.  My wife is funny about people being allowed in the house (it's messy) but if you are in Akron that's an easy drive from me so we could sit down and do an interview. 
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

EK WAFFLR

Name them in the Thank you list at the end of the book.

Insert a "fuck" in the book. (I stole these from Martin Atkins' Kickstarter)

Signed artwork, signed books, signed shirts, oh and of course t-shirts related to the book.

If some of the interviewees are willing and able, maybe ask them to write a song about the backer.

Have pins/badges/buttons made with related stuff on them and offer to backers only.

Free ebook.

Also, croudfunding and major publishing houses don't usually mix that well. If you manage to get the funds to print it yourself, do it. I can aska few of my publisher friends how they manage to get their books to major book stores etc, if you like.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Waffles, The Iron on July 04, 2012, 10:18:10 PM

Name them in the Thank you list at the end of the book.

Insert a "fuck" in the book. (I stole these from Martin Atkins' Kickstarter)

Signed artwork, signed books, signed shirts, oh and of course t-shirts related to the book.

If some of the interviewees are willing and able, maybe ask them to write a song about the backer.

Have pins/badges/buttons made with related stuff on them and offer to backers only.

Free ebook.

Also, croudfunding and major publishing houses don't usually mix that well. If you manage to get the funds to print it yourself, do it. I can aska few of my publisher friends how they manage to get their books to major book stores etc, if you like.

Yeah it makes it tricky. Things like advance copies and changing the content automatically become harder to provide with a company involved. I have some idea of where to go with getting it published, but not specifically in regard to a non-fiction piece. I can also offer copies of fiction pieces that I've done up before but I don't know if that's a bit weird.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 04, 2012, 06:24:58 PM
Let me know if you are in Ohio.  My wife is funny about people being allowed in the house (it's messy) but if you are in Akron that's an easy drive from me so we could sit down and do an interview.

If I'm around the area we can set something up, thanks!

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 04, 2012, 11:57:05 PM

And then Placid Dingo was never heard from again.

If you find yourself in the northeast, which as has been mentioned is a pretty central area for a lot of us, I'd be happy for, if not an interview then at the very least a beer.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 04, 2012, 11:55:28 PM
I can also offer copies of fiction pieces that I've done up before but I don't know if that's a bit weird.

Personally, I'd love that.
Anything that makes the backer feel "special" and "priviliged" is good, in my opinion.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 05, 2012, 12:17:22 AM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 04, 2012, 11:57:05 PM

And then Placid Dingo was never heard from again.

If you find yourself in the northeast, which as has been mentioned is a pretty central area for a lot of us, I'd be happy for, if not an interview then at the very least a beer.

Yeah, sounds good. I'll PM you closer to the date and get a state off you.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Definitely interested in being interviewed. Probably will be able to put you up.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A