Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on July 21, 2012, 10:09:23 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 21, 2012, 03:26:07 AM
Yeah, I think their main attraction is a cave.
And the cave's not really worth the boring ass drive through some of the ugliest places in the entire Southwest.
To be fair, the ugliest places in the southwest are still not Florida or New Jersey.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I found the drive starkly beautiful. I love the desert, and even the grimness of those tiny desert towns has its own kind of beauty.

The thing is, the drive is also dangerous. People die out there. Stick to the freeway and you're all good, another traveler will be along soon enough. Steer clear of side roads and always have AAA and plenty of water.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 22, 2012, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 22, 2012, 07:25:54 AM
And the cave's not really worth the boring ass drive through some of the ugliest places in the entire Southwest.

Oh fuck...you actually got stuck going to it somehow??

I went to it, too... I thought it was pretty neat, and I loved how the lobby area was stuck in 1976.

Never took the plunge...1976? "Wood grain" everywhere, with no actual wood in sight? Or just the souveniers, fat little homely plastic guys with their arms spread and "I LOVE YOU THIS MUCH" on the bases?  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 22, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

I went to it, too... I thought it was pretty neat, and I loved how the lobby area was stuck in 1976.

Never took the plunge...1976? "Wood grain" everywhere, with no actual wood in sight? Or just the souveniers, fat little homely plastic guys with their arms spread and "I LOVE YOU THIS MUCH" on the bases?  :lol:

I mean, like this:

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Thought I'd share some comments from Peterson Silva who I've been communicating with via email. He translated the BIP into Brazilian and I asked him of the impact:

As for the BIP, you should know it made quite an impact. It literaly divided the Discordian community in Brazil. Some people saw it as missing the point of Principia Discordia; the somewhat vague and kind-ofmeaningless-to-new-generations simbolism isn't a wall, it's necessary; the funny layer wasn't one you could throw away, it's the essence of being a Discordian. Some other people pointed out the fact that these "tactics" for spreading discord were ancient and something like the BIP was needed.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 22, 2012, 11:19:55 PM
Thought I'd share some comments from Peterson Silva who I've been communicating with via email. He translated the BIP into Brazilian and I asked him of the impact:

As for the BIP, you should know it made quite an impact. It literaly divided the Discordian community in Brazil. Some people saw it as missing the point of Principia Discordia; the somewhat vague and kind-ofmeaningless-to-new-generations simbolism isn't a wall, it's necessary; the funny layer wasn't one you could throw away, it's the essence of being a Discordian. Some other people pointed out the fact that these "tactics" for spreading discord were ancient and something like the BIP was needed.

That is super cool!

The Good Reverend Roger

COME VISIT OUR HOLE IN THE GROUND.  IT'S REALLY DEEP.  IT'S A HOLE.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 22, 2012, 10:55:10 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 22, 2012, 09:12:52 PM

I mean, like this:

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:

It's like congealed Captain and Teneille.

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 23, 2012, 12:01:50 AM

BRING THE KIDS. IT'S EDUCATIONAL. THEY CAN LEARN ABOUT THE HOLE.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 19, 2012, 12:44:50 PM
No, it can't has. Kickstarter is for Americans.

BUT it can has Pozible, which I chose because they seem a little more selective than alternatives.

The link is http://pozible.com/eris

In sincerity I'd be really appreciative of anyone willing to help me out with this. I put 1000 as a number because it seemed realistic, and would score me a tablet for interview recording/uploading and a sports camera for where a tablet isn't practical. For both these I'm looking at what will be best and most affordable.

You can't donate until July 23, due to the way I set it up.

Anyway, thanks to Spags who suggested it and everyone who's enthusiasm has helped me continue to suspect that this whole thing is a pretty good idea.

Reminder; above link is live in 30 minutes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It was pretty damn impressive, if you like caves.

I like caves.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 23, 2012, 03:03:03 AM

It was pretty damn impressive, if you like caves.

I like caves.

COME VISIT OUR PRETTY DAMN IMPRESSIVE HOLE IN THE GROUND.

Yeah, that has a ring to it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Placid Dingo

I'd like to start collecting stories of how people discovered Discordianism, and whatever happened after. If anyone's happy for me to throw a few questions around ITT or via PM, yell out.

LMNO

I know there are at least three threads which cover that. Probably in this very subforum, even.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 25, 2012, 12:52:44 PM
I know there are at least three threads which cover that. Probably in this very subforum, even.

There are, true true. I'm planning to mine some of those too, provided there's nothing anyone object to me using.

LMNO

Well, you'd probably want to ask follow up questions, so you can ask permission to use the posts at that point.