News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 18, 2012, 09:06:15 AM
Roger is welcome to participate as is anyone else, so I feel it's a bit disingenous to say I'm 'perfectly fine with leaving Roger out.' I spoke to Roger regarding Uncle BadTouch in late August, and it wasn't a dealbreaker at the time. I spoke again two months later in October when he told me he wouldn't be participating, and it was clear to me that this wasn't contingent on my changing my project, and that is wasn't related to LS.

Re; the group, as I said, I handelled it badly at the time, immediately pulling out the four people who announced they wouldn't intend to be participating any more in that LS thread. I had a little freakout, stressing about the group collapsing into drama, and made a poor snap judgment. There's two people in the group now that I'm aware of who have let me know they definately will not be taking part, but rather than making the same mistake repeatedly for the sake of consistency, it seems like less drama and upset to ask those individuals to take themselves out of the group when they're ready.

I do not suspect that any of the troubles I've had over the course of the project are the result of a conspiracy of any form, and haven't suggested as much to anyone.

I'll definitely be contacting Shii, thank you. [Edit: If possible]

Also, Nigel I know you're not telling me that your participation is contingent on my leaving Uncle BadTouch out. But others were, so the comments specific to that, were meant for the people to whom they applied, not as an insult to you personally.

Turns out, Shii is a Libertardian Paulbot. So that works out well, you'll really be doing great job of representing what Discordia is all about. Enjoy your 3 seconds of internet fame among the worst examples of a tiny and obscure subculture. And enjoy knowing that any outsider who does stumble across your work comes away with exactly the wrong impression of what Discordia is all about.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have to say, something else that I find kind of insulting, not personally but more generally, is his "all of you are disposable" attitude. It makes my skin crawl. It's like he has too much pride to just say, "OK, here are some really key figures and it's important that I include them if at all possible, how can I make that happen?" Instead, the attitude he has presented has been that Uncle BadTouch is too important to leave out, and the rest of us are disposable. It seems really arrogant and belittling. How hard is it to just say, "Hey, you're important, and it's important to me to include you, can we work this out?"
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I've been trying to overlook that aspect because I don't want to interject my own ego into the dialogue, but yeah, that is pretty shitty.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Anna Mae Bollocks

Sacrificing the best people in order to include Uncle BadTouch is retarded anyway. This thing is going to suck. [/obvious]
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, I'm really starting to think we should do our own version with an explicit disclaimer as to why.

East Coast Hustle

Either that or just fuck it, complete schism.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

SCHISM!

DESTROY THE HERETICS!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I suggest we call our schism The Really Fake Discordians (for Fakeness).

East Coast Hustle

I was thinking something more subtle. Like "Discrodians".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 18, 2012, 07:08:06 PM
Yeah, I'm really starting to think we should do our own version with an explicit disclaimer as to why.

On one hand, I don't really want to give it that much legitimacy, but on the other hand, I'd rather distance Discordia from Uncle BadTouch than have to distance myself from Discordia because we didn't.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 18, 2012, 07:22:35 PM

On one hand, I don't really want to give it that much legitimacy, but on the other hand, I'd rather distance Discordia from Uncle BadTouch than have to distance myself from Discordia because we didn't.

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking on the matter. Plus, our version will obviously be better since it won't be leaving out half of the more active discordians. And there's no reason we can't include some (or even most) of the people from Dingo's version.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I do like the idea of being a Fake Discordian. :lol: It adds another layer of convoluted to the "it's a joke disguised as a religion or a religion disguised as a joke".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 18, 2012, 07:25:38 PM

Yeah, that's kind of my thinking on the matter. Plus, our version will obviously be better since it won't be leaving out half of the more active discordians. And there's no reason we can't include some (or even most) of the people from Dingo's version.

Good point. And, we could do it collaboratively as a series of email interviews; each participant could be matched up with another participant whom they then interview.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on November 18, 2012, 07:31:57 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 18, 2012, 07:25:38 PM

Good point. And, we could do it collaboratively as a series of email interviews; each participant could be matched up with another participant whom they then interview.

I love that idea, particularly because it eliminates the possibility of someone falling into the trap of deciding THEY get to decide who does or doesn't represent Discordia. (cough cough Dingo cough cough).

East Coast Hustle

I just chatted with Dingo a bit. While I still feel very strongly that he's making a terrible error in judgment, I also think I'm being a little more of a dick than is necessary towards someone who, however misguided, is spending a fair amount of time and effort to do something for Discordia. So while I'm still very insistent that PD.com not be tied to his project in any way, and I still very much think that we should do our own collaborative version of this, I'm considering going to one of the east coast meetups and participating. My primary reasoning is that there will be people who read his finished work that won't ever come across ours and I'd rather be an advocate for my version of Discordia (in spite of my feelings about how the project is being put together) than have that voice left out of something that may shape peoples' view of what we're all about in the future.