News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on November 23, 2013, 08:05:06 PM
There are multiple PD spags already participating in this project, but I noticed none of them are talking about it here (including myself). That's interesting, but probably all I'm going to say of the matter.

I don't blame you, since if you're participating you probably DON'T think it's a steaming shit heap, and don't want to be judged for not thinking so.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Although to be fair, I didn't feel it turned into a steaming shit heap until after some of us backed out because we felt uncomfortable being represented alongside Uncle BadTouch, and Dingo's subsequent screeching about sabotage and creative control. It was initially simply an untenable choice for some of us, so we said no thank you.

I am at this point not entirely sure I'm comfortable being associated with Discordianism at all, which of course creates some uncomfortable dissonance for me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

At the moment, I actually have very little idea what this project is or if I have participated or not.

Dingo was at my shitty little flat when I came home one day and interviewed Pixie, and he and I chatted for a bit too - but having been pretty much completely out of the loop (PD-wise) for well over a year I didn't know about the project before hand, really. I think Pixie said at some point that he was coming over to interview her for something.

Anyway, I have no idea if me and Dingo chatting had much to do with his project or not as I explicitly don't identify as Discordian.

All this being the case I have nothing really to add to this discussion, though I follow it with interest.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Mrs. Nigelson on November 21, 2013, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 17, 2012, 02:06:34 AM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 17, 2012, 12:37:18 AM
Dingo's recent actions positively REEK of Captain Utopia. Especially the part where he thinks he's being reasonable in spite of it being totally obvious to everyone else how utterly fucked up his words and actions are.

Dingo, there's no reason for me to ban you from PD (personal feelings aside) but I will have to absolutely insist that the Chasing Eris project and any future projects you might look to publish are not in any way connected to PD.com. I don't even want this site, any of the content in this site, or any of the usernames on this site mentioned at all, not even in passing.

Post seen.

Also, bump.

More bump, and profound gratitude to ECH.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Telarus

Dingo's recent actions positively REEK of Captain Utopia. Especially the part where he thinks he's being reasonable in spite of it being totally obvious to everyone else how utterly fucked up his words and actions are.

Dingo, there's no reason for me to ban you from PD (personal feelings aside) but I will have to absolutely insist that the Chasing Eris project and any future projects you might look to publish are not in any way connected to PD.com. I don't even want this site, any of the content in this site, or any of the usernames on this site mentioned at all, not even in passing.

I have no problem with LMNO, Nigel, Roger, etc, personally choosing not to participate. Hell, I chose to make Uncle BadTouch not important by not making him critical to my decision to participate. This was after I had met Dingo and got to know him, and the project, a bit better and realized how little LS would contribute compared to other sources.

But, that's the post that made me say something.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on November 23, 2013, 08:05:06 PM
There are multiple PD spags already participating in this project, but I noticed none of them are talking about it here (including myself). That's interesting, but probably all I'm going to say of the matter.

That's on you (and them).  I won't have anything to do with that plagiarizing pedo fuckhead (Uncle BadTouch), to include volunteering to be in a book that by any means associates he & I, on account of A) he's a pedo, and B) he steals people's work and tries to make cash off of it.

You do what you want.  I'm doing what I want.

That's my Discordia.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on November 24, 2013, 08:16:57 PM

I have no problem with LMNO, Nigel, Roger, etc, personally choosing not to participate. Hell, I chose to make Uncle BadTouch not important by not making him critical to my decision to participate. This was after I had met Dingo and got to know him, and the project, a bit better and realized how little LS would contribute compared to other sources.

But, that's the post that made me say something.

I don't think he was saying that nobody from here could participate. 

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It seems very much like you want to be a journalist, Dingo, so I'm curious about whether you have experience in the field. What have you reported on? What are your most important principles in producing a piece of journalism?

Could you give an example of a journalist, documentarian, or a particular piece of work that you hold in high esteem? What special considerations, if any, do you keep in mind in terms of writing about a culture that 1) you're an active participant in, 2) has nearly zero awareness among the broader public, and 3) that you have a vested interest in?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on November 25, 2013, 01:12:16 AM
It seems very much like you want to be a journalist, Dingo, so I'm curious about whether you have experience in the field. What have you reported on? What are your most important principles in producing a piece of journalism?

Could you give an example of a journalist, documentarian, or a particular piece of work that you hold in high esteem? What special considerations, if any, do you keep in mind in terms of writing about a culture that 1) you're an active participant in, 2) has nearly zero awareness among the broader public, and 3) that you have a vested interest in?

He sure as fuck appears to have zero training in journalism, anthropology, or sociology. :lol:

Nephew Twiddleton

Hi Net!

Irrelevant, but it's been awhile.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Placid Dingo

Hey Net,

No, I'm not a journalist by any stretch of the imagination. I am starting a journalism course. I haven't been flattering myself that anything I do now is seriously 'journalism.'

Principles I have taken though, in my first course, I was introduced to the idea of objectivity as a process. This meant you didn't have to make work that is completely unopinionated, but you do have to essentially give your readers enough information that if they think you're full of it, they can check your claims easily. From memory this meant

- if you know something, explain where you know it from.
- if you can't say where you know it from, say why you can't tell us (why was this source so important you were willing to take them off the record)
- if you make or report a criticism, you give the subject the right of response
- if you have a conflict of interest, announce it.

I love John Pilger very dearly. He exemplifies the above. Pretty much a card carrying lefty, he gives detailed investigation into complex world issues and has been given interviews with pretty major figures. Also the Aussie investigation into asbestos interests me.

In terms of influence, Jon Ronson and Louis Theuroux both have a detached, objective and non judgemental style I admire.

For one and three; me being active in and having a vested interest in Discordia I've done three things. I've been honest about my involvement, I've attempted to consciously step away from my own biases to let people define Discordia for themselves, and I've made mention of my own views, when occasionally relevant. Of course that last one will stay or go in the editing.

In case of 2 that it has nearly zero public awareness, at present I am explaining the origins of Discordia, then kind of building up a slow map of the Discordian egragore through the people I meet; someone says greyface, I explain what that means, etc. The main thing I'm doing is avoiding giving an explicit estimation of what Discordia IS, but emphasising the variation in interpretations. And of course while all this in what's happening in the writing process, if there's any problems left in place, the editing will aim to resolve them.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 25, 2013, 11:31:46 AM

Hey Net,

No, I'm not a journalist by any stretch of the imagination. I am starting a journalism course. I haven't been flattering myself that anything I do now is seriously 'journalism.'

Principles I have taken though, in my first course, I was introduced to the idea of objectivity as a process. This meant you didn't have to make work that is completely unopinionated, but you do have to essentially give your readers enough information that if they think you're full of it, they can check your claims easily. From memory this meant

- if you know something, explain where you know it from.
- if you can't say where you know it from, say why you can't tell us (why was this source so important you were willing to take them off the record)
- if you make or report a criticism, you give the subject the right of response
- if you have a conflict of interest, announce it.

I love John Pilger very dearly. He exemplifies the above. Pretty much a card carrying lefty, he gives detailed investigation into complex world issues and has been given interviews with pretty major figures. Also the Aussie investigation into asbestos interests me.

In terms of influence, Jon Ronson and Louis Theuroux both have a detached, objective and non judgemental style I admire.

For one and three; me being active in and having a vested interest in Discordia I've done three things. I've been honest about my involvement, I've attempted to consciously step away from my own biases to let people define Discordia for themselves, and I've made mention of my own views, when occasionally relevant. Of course that last one will stay or go in the editing.

In case of 2 that it has nearly zero public awareness, at present I am explaining the origins of Discordia, then kind of building up a slow map of the Discordian egragore through the people I meet; someone says greyface, I explain what that means, etc. The main thing I'm doing is avoiding giving an explicit estimation of what Discordia IS, but emphasising the variation in interpretations. And of course while all this in what's happening in the writing process, if there's any problems left in place, the editing will aim to resolve them.

Drawing a map.

Drawing a map that has one central feature.  No other features are necessary.

Success.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 25, 2013, 01:53:29 PM
PD.COM: "Here Be Dragons".

I wrote you directions to Tucson, LMNO.  But I fucking hate the flyover states, so I just left them out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, New Hampshire had to be in those directions, because New Hampshire was "an early part of the process".