News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Bu☆ns on December 20, 2013, 05:32:18 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:25:57 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:18:48 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on December 20, 2013, 05:12:44 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:06:07 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on December 20, 2013, 04:43:22 AM
what? why?

Are you speaking to me or Bobby?

You. I'm genuinely not sure what the issue is.  I mean my son made a picture of a scene from nightvale radio and didn't ask permission to do so. Although I doubt they would care. So if the quality of the work is the difference between the two, I'm guessing your objection it's a compliment to the quality of Bobby's work.  Aside from that I just fail to see the problem.

Bobby's graphic seemed like it was the cover for the book.

In fact, it is not. Bobby is seemingly making an unsolicited and unauthorized advertisement. It's not about the quality. It's about the representation. I don't know what nightvale radio is, but since it is well known what Chasing Eris is here, any post that seems to represent it will have an air of representing it. Especially if it looks like a book cover.

I redirect you to the album analogy.

I'm about to release an album. Someone posts a pic that looks like an album cover. I'm not around to say, "this is in fact, not the album cover."

So your beef isn't about fan art itself, but the fact that it looks like an specific medium?  I think I follow now..

See, I guess I'm just familiar with Bobby's style so this didn't even occur to me.  Now i KNOW i'm the wrong person to argue this.

Yes.

If it is clear that it is fan art, then, mazel tov.

If it is not clear, then take a moment.

It was not clear that this was fan art. My assumption, by the way that it was presented, was that this was in fact the cover, and what Dingo chose. It's not, and there should have been some sort of statement to that effect.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Bobby Campbell

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:40:52 AM

Yes.

It was not clear that this was fan art. My assumption, by the way that it was presented, was that this was in fact the cover, and what Dingo chose. It's not, and there should have been some sort of statement to that effect.

That seems fair enough. I therefore apologize for my indiscretion.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on December 20, 2013, 05:43:20 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:40:52 AM

Yes.

That seems fair enough. I therefore apologize for my indiscretion.

Accepted.

Continue to make me look like a metal god. You're good at it.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:25:57 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:18:48 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 05:06:07 AM
what? why?

You. I'm genuinely not sure what the issue is.  I mean my son made a picture of a scene from nightvale radio and didn't ask permission to do so. Although I doubt they would care. So if the quality of the work is the difference between the two, I'm guessing your objection it's a compliment to the quality of Bobby's work.  Aside from that I just fail to see the problem.

In fact, it is not. Bobby is seemingly making an unsolicited and unauthorized advertisement. It's not about the quality. It's about the representation. I don't know what nightvale radio is, but since it is well known what Chasing Eris is here, any post that seems to represent it will have an air of representing it. Especially if it looks like a book cover.

I'm about to release an album. Someone posts a pic that looks like an album cover. I'm not around to say, "this is in fact, not the album cover."

So your beef isn't about fan art itself, but the fact that it looks like an specific medium?  I think I follow now..

See, I guess I'm just familiar with Bobby's style so this didn't even occur to me.  Now i KNOW i'm the wrong person to argue this.

Yes.

I feel like I'm in law school.  But then that's kinda been the nature of this thread...  Oh well I suppose I back on out then ... Here's Yoda yodeling 

And Bobby, fwiw, I dug the space dog <3

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Bu☆ns on December 20, 2013, 05:49:32 AM
what? why?

Yes.

I feel like I'm in law school.  But then that's kinda been the nature of this thread...  Oh well I suppose I back on out then ... Here's Yoda yodeling 

And Bobby, fwiw, I dug the space dog <3

I'm speaking from a creator's point of view. While the fan art may be flattering, it also might not be. And it is YOUR creation. Not anyone else's. Creations in support of your creation must be specified as such.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 04:25:23 AM
Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 20, 2013, 04:11:43 AM
The puppy was probably Uncle BadTouch's idea.

There's no indication that Uncle BadTouch is guilty of bestiality. Let us rightfully criticize him for what he is shown to endorse.

"Hey, kid, I lost my puppy. CAN YOU HELP ME LOOK FOR HIM?"
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 20, 2013, 06:29:00 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 04:25:23 AM

There's no indication that Uncle BadTouch is guilty of bestiality. Let us rightfully criticize him for what he is shown to endorse.

Well, is he looking to lure in the kid, or the puppy?

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 06:31:26 AM

You have to ask, regarding Uncle BadTouch?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 20, 2013, 06:33:25 AM
Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 06:31:26 AM

Sorry, I had to.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: THE PHYTOPHTHORATIC HOLDER OF THE ADVANCED DEGREE on December 20, 2013, 06:34:38 AM
Quote from: Tiddleywomp Cockletit on December 20, 2013, 06:33:25 AM

Sorry, I had to.  :lulz:

OH GOD THEY'RE BOTH CHILDREN. :horrormirth:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on December 20, 2013, 04:19:24 AM
Just to clarify:  This isn't an official image. I made it for fun because on the surface the project seemed pretty cool and I felt it was a fair participatory replacement to a request for an interview from Placid Dingo. I come here to find a thread which reveals there is far more backstory to this than I could ever hope to figure out.

It seemed like a cool project to me, at first, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

what? why?

I respect Bobby's art a fuckton of a lot more than I respect Dingo's "journalism".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 20, 2013, 07:14:08 AM
what? why?

I respect Bobby's art a fuckton of a lot more than I respect Dingo's "journalism".

Entirely fair. The man is good at what he does.

However since Dingo's project is entirely Dingo's project, as he has been more than willing to imply, it would behoove Bobby to state explicitly that anything he does without Dingo's express approval to represent his project is merely fan art or derivative work. It cover's Bobby's ass and allows Dingo creative control over his work.

Pæs

Fuck Dingo's creative control. I'm going to give out pictures of dongs to people with CHASING ERIS written on them just in case his work ever makes it here.

Faust

Quote from: Bobby Campbell on December 20, 2013, 03:34:58 AM
I read enough of this to know that I don't know anything about it!

Though I really liked the Cramulus interview, and have a soft spot for people who make stuff, hence:

Awesome!
Sleepless nights at the chateau