News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

A curiosity about the South, for people who live here

Started by The Dark Monk, July 02, 2012, 09:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: v3x on July 05, 2012, 05:34:26 PM
the bad guys always wear jeans and t-shirts, and the good guys get to look cool.

You were saying?

East Coast Hustle

Fuck that guy. The fauxhawk (or faux-fauxhawk, in this case) was never cool.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 05, 2012, 07:21:55 PM
Fuck that guy. The fauxhawk (or faux-fauxhawk, in this case) was never cool.

Is that what it's called? I always thought it was the "we thought it would be funny to pay the hairdresser to do our son's hair up like a fresh turd" hairdo.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

E.O.T.

Quote from: I_Kicked_Kennedy on July 05, 2012, 02:53:39 PM
I'm trying to think of some way of modifying a classic quote into something pertaining to the current state of political idiocy. Here's the quote:

"Your liberty to swing your fist ends where my nose begins."

Simply, I am sick of idiot yokels doing something absolutely abhorrent, and claiming their rights have been infringed upon. Like the confederate flag dress, or when a church organizes a "let's piss on the grave of some little girl that died of AIDS" rally, and when the public (rightfully so) says "Hell no" they cry and scream "Waaaaaahhhhh. You're infringing upon my first amendment rights! Waaaaaahhhhh...."

THAT IS

a totally hot picture of mr.d., and in fact, whilst drinking a "swampwater" at a local hole when i was 21, this was my gateway into , "ok, i get why all the chicks are about that old thing"

YOU ARE

an ass for comparing phelps with a high school girl. or a genius. but i'm leaning toward ass.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2012, 01:49:14 PM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 04, 2012, 07:48:48 PM
Of course the south won. They were fighting for freedom, which is always the right thing to do - it was a moral victory.

Raw and stinking bullshit.  They were fighting for a static aristocracy.

They were fighting for the freedom to determine how to run their own economy and government. You can't really say that someone has the God-given right to pursue happiness, and then turn around and say "Well, but only if your method of pursuing happiness doesn't include human trafficking." These were honest, Christian farmers being faced with the possibility of being unable to leave their workforce to their children. Similarly, being forced allow illiterate non-citizens with no stake in the country to cast votes defeats the entire purpose of democracy - it's not self-determination if an outside power is manipulating the voting population to  its own ends.

It's not Freedom if you can't abuse it.

E.O.T.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 05, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
Quote from: I_Kicked_Kennedy on July 05, 2012, 02:53:39 PM

Simply, I am sick of idiot yokels doing something absolutely abhorrent, and claiming their rights have been infringed upon. Like the confederate flag dress, or when a church organizes a "let's piss on the grave of some little girl that died of AIDS" rally, and when the public (rightfully so) says "Hell no" they cry and scream "Waaaaaahhhhh. You're infringing upon my first amendment rights! Waaaaaahhhhh...."

Then move to North Korea.  They don't allow that sort of shit.

:lulz:

E.O.T.

Quote from: v3x on July 05, 2012, 04:51:11 PM
The Confederate flag also is not inherently synonymous with racism or slavery. It can also express a general distrust of authority, a willingness to rebel against what one sees as overbearing government, or a desire to decorate one's orange '69 Charger and escape the grasp of clumsy law enforcement.

THIS

Golden Applesauce

The Confederate flag also is not inherently synonymous with racism or slavery. It can also express a general distrust of authority, a willingness to rebel against what one sees as overbearing government, or a desire to decorate one's orange '69 Charger and escape the grasp of clumsy law enforcement.

Exactly! Similarly, the KKK was a social club where guys could go to get away from their wives. They raised money for charity and did volunteer work and stuff, but all anyone associates with pointy white hoods is a relatively small number of lynchings allegedly carried out by rotten eggs who also happened to be members. Allegedly, because compared to the numbers of murders the KKK was accused of, almost nobody was ever convicted of homicide.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on July 06, 2012, 01:19:56 AM

Exactly! Similarly, the KKK was a social club where guys could go to get away from their wives. They raised money for charity and did volunteer work and stuff, but all anyone associates with pointy white hoods is a relatively small number of lynchings allegedly carried out by rotten eggs who also happened to be members. Allegedly, because compared to the numbers of murders the KKK was accused of, almost nobody was ever convicted of homicide.

Did they ever raise money for the NAACP?
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

E.O.T.

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on July 06, 2012, 03:54:24 AM

I'M GUESSING

You think that's cunning, but it comes across as juvenile/ ignorant and basically a reactiontard statement.

tyrannosaurus vex

This is bullshit. Both the Confederate flag and the KKK have their roots in the Confederacy (the KKK somewhat less officially so), and both are emblems of a problematic and offensive period of political thought. But where the KKK from the outset made a point to define themselves by violence and intimidation, the flag has no inherent agenda. It has survived as a symbol of rebellion in general. Yes, it's a symbol steeped in the history of a Southern aristocracy that took up arms against Fedgov to defend slavery.

Yes, it's flashed by toothless, racist, mush-faced goons to show off how they don't care who tells them to evolve, they're just not gonna. If you think that's bad, you should read about some of the things the Christian cross symbolizes. But we (by "we" I mean the majority of Americans) don't call people who who wear crosses theocratic pro-genocide tyrants. That's because besides the admittedly unfortunate history of the cross, it can symbolize something much more. So it is with the Confederate flag.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

tyrannosaurus vex

Also: Son of a bitch. In doing some further reading, it turns out the Confederate States Constitution was substantially superior to ours. :(

A few things worth mentioning:

* Congress was not allowed to construe the Commerce Clause as an excuse to stick its nose into everyone's business, or to blackmail states for federal funding, by an explicit rule against passing any laws intended to "facilitate commerce."

* Any bill passed by Congress was required to address only one subject. (Take that, earmarkers!)

* The President was limited to a single term.

* Amendments could be ratified by the States without any help from Congress.

* States were not allowed to determine for themselves who was and who wasn't allowed to vote.

* States were allowed to impeach and remove from office Federal judges and magistrates operating in their borders.

Now for the Slavery part (oddly, there was no mention of the fabled CSA "Neener neener we're gonna have slavery forever!" doctrine):

* Importing slaves from anywhere except the USA was prohibited. (The US Constitution explicitly bars Congress from enacting any legislation restricting the importation of slaves until 1888, and even then didn't provide for any actual prohibition). This section is important because it is basically an admission by the CSA that slavery was a dying institution. Surely they realized with no guarantee that the USA would continue enforcing the Fugitive Slave Act, and would surely eliminate slavery within its borders altogether, and no importation from foreign countries, the costs of slavery would soon outstrip the benefits as the value of slaves waned against the costs of keeping them in the country.

* Furthermore the CSA Congress was specifically granted the power to pass laws restricting or prohibiting even importation of new slaves from the USA.

Most of the wording is similar between the two Constitutions, but if the Confederate States had survived, they would have nothing like the overarching Federal system we have in the USA now (although still quite a bit stronger than the Articles of Confederation). It makes me wonder of the North really was more concerned about "preserving the Union" than it was about abolishing slavery. You know, as they specifically said when the war started.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: E.O.T. on July 06, 2012, 04:43:30 AM

I'M GUESSING

You think that's cunning, but it comes across as juvenile/ ignorant and basically a reactiontard statement.

Cunning?  :lulz:
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

E.O.T.

Quote from: Deepthroat Chopra on July 06, 2012, 07:31:04 AM
Quote from: E.O.T. on July 06, 2012, 04:43:30 AM

I'M GUESSING

Cunning?  :lulz:

YEAH

I know, totally not your style.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on July 06, 2012, 05:40:25 AM
Also: Son of a bitch. In doing some further reading, it turns out the Confederate States Constitution was substantially superior to ours. :(

It enshrined a static aristocracy.

If that's "better", I'll take "worse", thanks.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.