News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

30 (+1) Dry Days

Started by LMNO, July 03, 2012, 07:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Ten days into it, and this isn't nearly as bad as I thought.  It's going pretty well, now.  I even hit the clubs last weekend, and band practice, with no itching.  Surprisingly, Team Vodka, despite the name, has been really supportive and encouraging.

No visible weight loss yet, but here's hoping.

Elder Iptuous

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 05, 2012, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on July 03, 2012, 11:53:46 PM
I am truly sorry to inform you that July appears to have 31 days this year.  It appears someone added one to fuck with you.

Well, fuck.

Anyway, I really tested myself.  On Tuesday, went to a show.  Class Actress and Sleigh Bells.  Good bands, great show, and the first show I've been to without drinking probably since I was 18. It was then I realized how awful people are at a show (or, perhaps, in general). Pushy, over-privileged assholes and bitches more concerned over how they look than the band on stage.  No honey, shaving half your head and wearing ill-fitting clothes does not give you permission to push your way in front of me, spill your drink on my shoes, and then spend the show chatting with your friend.  Oh, another thing: I'm not entirely convinced that the show looks a lot better on the viewscreen of your smartphone, so put that fucking thing away before I show you how sensitive it is to liquids.

Then, yesterday, it was the 4th.  I took a chance and hung out with Team Vodka at a house party.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they're just as interesting as when I'm drunk.  We managed to avoid all jingoistic hype attached to the day and spent it just hanging out, grilling, dishing dirt, spilling T, and sticking our feet in the kiddie pool.  All in all, it was a marvelous kiki.

In conclusion:  My friends are awesome, and everyone else needs to die.  Apparently, this holds true whether I am drunk, or not.

I can attest to this. I've never gotten too fucked up at shows I went out of my way to get to, since I wanted to remember stuff, but for the last couple of years I've been staying stone cold sober at shows and it drives the point home that most people are there to either get obnoxiously wasted ("LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!!!!"), stand around looking like bored, affected hipsters ("LOOK AT MEEEEEEE!!!!!"), or both.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

LMNO

I have a headache.

I conclude that a headache when you're sober is much more annoying than a headache when you're hungover, because then at least you did something to deserve it. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 11, 2012, 01:19:30 PM
I have a headache.

I conclude that a headache when you're sober is much more annoying than a headache when you're hungover, because then at least you did something to deserve it.

My problem with that is that the regular kind of headache doesn't come with a sick gut, fatigue, and the galloping shits.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 11, 2012, 01:57:46 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 11, 2012, 01:19:30 PM
I have a headache.

My problem with that is that the regular kind of headache doesn't come with a sick gut, fatigue, and the galloping shits.

...or "FUCK, I spent too much money" or "What happened? I hope I didn't fuck anything up"...
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

Drink moar water, it might be dehydration.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

LMNO you are awesome!!! WHen I'm done quitting smoking (I'm already at 30 days whoohoo*) I'm totally going to try something similar. The only time I did a serious attempt at a dry spell a few years back I got 3 weeks out of the planned 4 ... But first, not getting lung cancer.

*minus a few joints over the weeks but I'm not counting those as they're pretty negligible compared to how many cigs I smoked. Also most of them did not even have tobacco in em anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

So, yeah.  Day 26.  It's safe to say I'm neither physically nor psychologically addicted to alcohol.  Which is a bit of a relief to discover, truth be told.

I do seem to have a mild social addiction to it, though; that is, in situations where I am surrounded by Stupid™, I find the urge to drink rises proportionally to the amount of Stupid™ I encounter.

Team Vodka is eager to welcome us back come August 1.  Well, August 3, really -- FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE GAY BAR!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 26, 2012, 05:10:26 PM
So, yeah.  Day 26.  It's safe to say I'm neither physically nor psychologically addicted to alcohol.  Which is a bit of a relief to discover, truth be told.

I used to drink a lot, from my mid 20s to my mid 30s.  Turns out, I was addicted to the fun I had with the people I was with, not the booze.  I know this, because we all pretty much stopped drinking at the same time, and we still had loads of fun...With no real feeling of any need to resume drinking.

Also, I think our inhibitions don't need to be artificially lowered anymore.  We don't seem to have any.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 26, 2012, 05:17:49 PM
Also, I think our inhibitions don't need to be artificially lowered anymore.  We don't seem to have any.

That seems about right, yeah.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 26, 2012, 05:25:15 PM
Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 26, 2012, 05:17:49 PM

That seems about right, yeah.

I in fact prefer the "dry" fun.  I can remember everything, and I don't get a hangover.

Plus, I'm a purist.

SexyFish

o m g babe i'm so proud of you!!! (':
<3

Nephew Twiddleton

Well done sir. I had a mostly dry january and was similarly glad that i didnt really have too many problems with it. I figured out at that point i just like drinking but its not a necessity. I did it primarily for health reasons. Had some worrying symptoms. Turns out that my liver function is completely normal. Go figure. It was something else which alcohol contributed to but wasnt the primary cause so much as my shitty diet and lack of exercise.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS